Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

someone please help (steering wheel shaking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

someone please help (steering wheel shaking)

this **** is pissing me off now. heres my problem. when i get to 65 or more my steering wheel shakes. now I've replaced the following:
    rotors (1 month ago)
    tires (10000 miles ago)
    alignment(also 10000 miles ago)
    struts (1 month ago)
    springs (1 year ago)
    now heres the funny thing.I drive 100 miles a day to and from work. i leave at 2 am when its cool out and the shake is very small. but when i come home at 3 pm when its warmer the shake is worse. i had a set of 17s on the car first and it was doing this then so i sold the rims and put the 14in rims and tires that i had for my old civic(yes u can shoot me for saying the "c" word). then i replaced the tires cause i thought that might be the problem.what the **** can this be. i checked the ball joints and tie rods but they look fine(no grease coming out).im really getting pissed about this cause i want to do more to my car but all my money is going to try to fix this problem. any help would be appreciated.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

i think it might be the wheel balancing.

I know my car used to do it too (@75mph), then i got my rims and it did it at a later speed(@85mph).

So you start shaking at 65mph, does it stop when you hit 75-80mph?

I don't know too much, so thats the best i can speculate.
    Tag Team

Comment

wheel balancing, steering rack itself, inner tie rods, area ll of your bolts torqued to spec?

putting a larger rim on the stock steering rack puts a larger force on it wearing it at a quicker rate. more force is needed to turn the wheels.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

cheack all front suspension bushings, including the strut mounts.

hows the air pressure in the tires? make sure they match side to side, but can be a little more in the rear.

Comment

im thinking about getting the zx2 bushings but i dont know if i want to spend the money unless it fixes the problem. maybe i should stop being so cheap and get the bushings anyway. i want to get the anyway i just wanted to fix the problem first.
          tie rods:ok
          steering rack:havent got that deep in there to find it(what will i be looking for as far as what might be wrong?)
          bushings:look fine
          sway bar endlinks:need to be replaced(kinda dry rotted)
          Last edited by Turpro; 04-23-2004, 05:59 PM.
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Have your tired checked for their balance. It is probably the cheapest place to start trouble shooting this.
            When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
            Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
            Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
            So his engine he goosed
            With much too much boost,
            And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

i had a bad problem with shaking, replaced every mother effin thing listed on this thread....... it shakes at weird times and sometimes not so it was weird. turned out to be my master brake cylinder, mite not be the thing in ur situation but it is somtin to keep in mind if nothing else cures the problem
              womp

Comment

well i came to the conclusion that im going to get a 323. i like hatchbacks better. but the good thing is that i have all the lx goodies and the dohc engine.
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

GET UR WHEEL DYNAMIC BALANCED NOT STATIC...

Originally posted by turpro
                  well i came to the conclusion that im going to get a 323. i like hatchbacks better. but the good thing is that i have all the lx goodies and the dohc engine.
                  ye-ah! now thats a better idea. I would say swap everything that u have on ur pro and put it on the 323 but then again u'll loose money that way. So just buy a 323 and get the LX parts at a junkyard....

Comment

check the front lower contol arm -lateral arm bushings. the ones on the rear of the front lower control arm. if those things have a inch of play in them they will cause a vibration from 60 to 70 mph. can almost be positive thats whats causing ur steering wheel to shake.

Comment

get the front tires off the ground and shake them side to side and up and down. It sounds like you have a bad steering component. There doesn't have to be any grease showing for it to be bad.
                      Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

Working...
                      X