Sylvania headlights, r they worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sylvania headlights, r they worth it?

Saw an add on them the other night. It's supposed to be more of a flourescent light versus the yellowish factory ones. Has any one used these? Seems like those who replace OEM bulbs, have problems with the aftermarket ones burning out. I know you aren't supposed to touch them because of the oils on your hand can cause the light to burn out or so I have been told. Maybe it's a myth, but a mechanic told me. Also, how much and is it a pain to change them out?
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

I have them on my Gen2, if the headlight assembly is similar it's not difficult at all. I'm very happy with mine, and remember, Sylvania makes OEM bulbs too (and sells to some manufacturers) their product is actually good quality. Only thing better would be an Xe conversion, which is considerably more expensive.

Comment

I just put them on my MP3. The light output is incredible. When I had them on my 00 they looked like ass.

Comment

The bottom line is. . . if you want other people to think they look cool, SilverStars may not be the way to go. If you aren't screwing around and want the best, whitest output available with halogens, get them.

Comment

I get a lot of looks when i turn mine on. Of course i have the shiny silver headlight assembly that magnifies the brightness. I am extremely happy with them.
          <-why i can't fix my car

http://www.revtvguam.com
          AFwestPunk's AutoJam Imagestation photo album! You better have High speed internet!

Comment

care to elaborate?

Comment

Basically,
              Sylvania SilverStars are the US version...with less output.
              OSRAM SilverStars are the Euro version with more output. You can get them at www.powerbulbs.com
              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Any side by side pics? Just interested to see the difference. Didn't know anything about this up until now.

Comment

No, I don't know of any. I currently have the US SilverStars, but I am going to get the OSRAM's when these burn out.
                  Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

The Osram Silverstars don't have the blue tint that is found on the Sylvania's, so the Osram's produce a whiter and brighter light. I also get my Osrams at www.powerbulbs.com
                    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I have the Osrams in mine, I had the Sylvanias in my old car. The Sylvania's look more like HID, but really didn't change the light output much from the stock bulbs (this was an '89 cavalier). The stock bulbs in the protege are noticeably brighter than the Sylvanias. The Osrams are a lot brighter than that. Get them from powerbulbs.com, the total price with shipping from the UK is about $4 less than I paid for the Sylvanias from the local Schucks.

Comment

I have had many bulbs in my 99, and I prefer the bluish output so I have tried the crap on ebay up through PIAAs and for my money I prefer Piaas, I currently run the Jspec PIAA spark blue 8000s, combined with my Catz Zeta system the output is awesome and the look is very distinctive I also have PIAA 1100x driving lights with a similair light output so I never have a problem seeing, however PIAA is expensive, all of my lights from headlights, side markers blinkers and reverse lights are PIAA

Comment

I have had both the Sylvania and the Osram bulbs. Currently I'm on my first set of Osrams - they live longer than the Sylvania version that's for sure.

I also hae side by side comparison pics between the two. Just give me a minute to find them.

Here's what I posted in another thread a few months ago:

Originally posted by Intruder
                          I got the bulbs on Monday and installed them yesterday.
                          Here's a picture:

The Osram bulb is NOT white. It has a purplish tint although the glass on the bulb is 100% clear. Personally, I like the Sylvania bulbs better, but it appears that the Osram bulb outputs more light. This is evident from the amount of over-exposure the bulb on the left has created. The saturated region on the left is larger than the saturated region on the right --- which means that the bulb on the left is brighter.

Comment

I have the Silverstars bulbs now and I'm not impressed at all. I was getting more light output with my Noykia(sp) bulbs them these Silverstars.

MP3 Strut Bar..Silver Stars..GoldLine Springs..Two 10 Inch Speakers..480 Watt Amp..Custom Voltage Meter..Ingen CAI..Bomz Axle Back Exhaust..Konigs Holes 17x7

Comment

man i have cheapo super white NAXOS lights that ive had for about 8 months no problems.
                              30 dollars a set from your local dealer.
                              According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                              X