I just want to add a little horsepower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want to add a little horsepower

Just another new guy chiming in…a gumshoe to all this stuff. I just want to remain modest and bump my MP5 up about 50hp WITHOUT going turbo and blowing up my engion. Any sound suggestions? Probably start with a Cold Air Intake and a Cat Back Exhaust. But then what? That will only give you about 20-30 hp, right?

While I'm no expert in the field of moding, I do know what your first reply from an expert would be so I'll just tell you.........try the search feature......ask and you shall recieve.
    02' Protege ES sedan w/ 03 refresh package, loaded with everything minus sunroof, 5 speed manual, red neons under seats to match red lighting on guage cluster/center consol *you can't hug children with nuclear arms*

Comment

Dude, you're going to need alot more than an intake and exhaust to get that much power. If you want quick horsepower use nitrous.
      You'll be lucky to get 15 hp with an intake, headers and full exhaust.
      Ryan The middle child is always ignored
      BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

intake, headers exhaust, cams , pulleys, flywheel and clutch

Comment

^^^what he said. DO NOT get nos. unless of course you want a hole melted in your stock manifold. btw, corksport.com and srmotorsports.com have all of that.
          2002.5 protege dx

Comment

What the **** is wrong with nitrous??
            If you use common sense you'll have no problems with it.
            Are you implying that guy has no common sense??
            Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by sam1
              ^^^what he said. DO NOT get nos. unless of course you want a hole melted in your stock manifold. btw, corksport.com and srmotorsports.com have all of that.
              there's nothing wrong with nitrous, unless you don't pay attention to your car while using it, or overuse it. i've run atleast 11 bottles through my protege, and it still runs the same, and just as strong as when i got it.
              -mike lucero
              1988 Mazda 323 GTX
              2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

Thanks FC3S Boy. Listen midnightblue97, I'm not what you would call a speed freak, per say, and I will not be pulling up next to you at a stop light to egg you on with the hiss of my Nitrous. I'm not looking the break 200whp, here...just something simple.

Comment

I'm sure you're not, but without going turbo, you'd need quite a bit of money to get an extra 50 hp or so what you were looking for.
                  Nitrous would be the cheapest way to do so. If you don't want nitrous thats cool, and understandable, its not for everybody.

Comment

header (8-10)
                    exhaust (8-9)
                    CAI(3-4)
                    MSP camshaft (3-5)
                    that'll give you about 25-30hp (depending on tuning)
                    I'm stuck with my ATx, so i'm going to go NA... boost the **** out of an RX7 if i can afford one.

better spark plugs will help the sensitivity (long reach vs. normal).. but probably won't increase hp...

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                    RB springs
                    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                    MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

i personally have never seen any 3rd generation protege safely run nitrous with any level of proper preparation or safety measure or added fuel measures. every single pro owner I've known who has used nitrous has blown thier engine.

we sell header, exhaust, intake, pulleys, clutches, flywheels, springs and struts among other things for the Protege at our store site.

ProtegeGarage.com - Over 525 parts shipped WORLDWIDE for your Mazda Protege, Mazda3, Mazda5, Mazda6, MX-5 and Mazda RX-8
                      email :: Ken@mazda3online.com
                      Phone :: (847) 223-6890
                      Cell Phone :: (847) 736-1635

We Accept Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, Check and Money Order

CLICK HERE FOR BG CHASSIS CARBON FIBER HOODS

Comment

bah.. i can never remember if it's the J-spec or MSP..
                        oh msprotege, a few people have the intake cams.. they said they make a small difference. but you lose low-end power.

RB springs
                        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

meh... i'm a comp tech... my speciality is computers.. not cars.
                          like i said.. i figured it was j-spec or msp... i know the msp is the same + turbo.. but when you read enough posts where people say msp cams... one begins to doubt himself.

RB springs
                          Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Originally posted by Protege Garage
                            i personally have never seen any 3rd generation protege safely run nitrous with any level of proper preparation or safety measure or added fuel measures. every single pro owner I've known who has used nitrous has blown thier engine.
                            Thats because, like you said, apparently, they never ran it with added fuel, and proper safety measures, if they had, then they would have greatly reduced the chance of blowing their engines.

Comment

not worth an engine just to go fast for a little bit. even with nos, the protege is just not a god damn race car. its a 4CYL. you want a race car, go get an old v8. youll never be fast with a protege. although, you can out-handle alot of others.
                              2002.5 protege dx

Comment

Working...
                              X