This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoother Is Better...

I have a P5 and my wife and I are expecting a child. I love how my P5 handles! I was wondering if there is anything I could do, suspension wise, to smooth out the stiff ride without sacrificing the handling. I just don't want the little one to be jostled around too much in the back seat. Someone said that Eibach could have some suspension answers, and I know that low profile tires will not help. Don't say I should get a Minivan or something, or I will have to hunt you down!

lol. Well eibachs are a good way to go. Its going to lower your car a little but Im sure you wont mind that. I changed my stockies for some eibachs and I love love love the ride. Its not bouncy...and I know bouncy my ex used to have coilovers on his del sol, almost bounced my butt right out of his car!
    Sagaris

Comment

um i havent driven in a pro with a sway bar on, but since it decreases bodyroll, im sure that would make it a little smoother. itll definately handle better. but if that doesnt work you could always get a MPV. hahaha, j/k. get a town & country. =)
      2002.5 protege dx

Comment

I think by smoother he means softer. Any lowering spring will be firmer, not softer. I don't know how to answer this one. One of the reasons the Protege handles so well right out of the box compared to it's competitors is that Mazda tends to make it's cars firmly sprung and tightly damped. I know the sedan REAR springs are softer, but front springs and all sway bars are the same across the model. Also DX/LX struts are valved a bit softer too, compared to ES/P5 struts. Good luck
        2002.5 DX Sedan, Garnet Red Mica, PIAA Headlights, Racing Beat MP3 springs, Tokico HP struts, Injen CAI, MSP axle-back exhaust, MSP S.T. brace, Mod-o-fied AWR 19MM rear bar, AWR end-links F/R, 16x7 alloys w/Paradas(street), 15x6 Miata OEM alloys w/Falken Azenis(Solo II STS), personalized plates "VTC FREE"
        I remember the days of racing when the the Drivers were Fat and the Tires were Skinny.

Comment

Eibachs are definitely a smooth ride on normal surfaces, but over speed bumps/potholes they're bouncier than stock.

Comment

Also adding more sidewall helps smooth out the bumps. You could go down from the 16" rims to a 15" rim and add some more sidewall that way.
            --JJB--
            '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
            Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
            16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
            15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
            Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Okay, how about some high performance struts like Tokico's (The HP's). Something that will dampen the chasse movement. I don't mind "feeling" the road, I just want to take some of the bounce out of the road's more significant "textures". I respect that we are talking about a lighter performance car, not a Caddillac, and I might be asking for the imposable. I really doubt just adding new springs are going achieve the results I'm looking for, but I think HstockDXer and JJB are on the right track. Do they come any better than the Tokio's for the results I want?

Comment

If you want the little one to not be jostled leave it the way it is. Sport (lowering) springs and stiffer shocks are going to make the ride over bumps quite unforgiving; i.e., you'll feel it a lot more than if your car's suspension is left stock.

Comment

The Tokico HP's will NOT make bumps smoother. They will make the car handle better though. To get a softer ride your best bet would be to go with smaller rims and larger sidewalled tires. Or get the baby one of those off road suspension seats. Then add the tokico's and springs.

Comment

swap suspensions with the DX or LX guys... their stock **** is softer (and ****tier)!

Some of it is, much of it is the same. All sedans and the P5 share the same wheelbase, bushings, front springs, and both sway bars. The ES and P5 share slightly firmer strut valving than the DX/LX. ES rear springs are slightly firmer and shorter, and the P5 has even shorter rear springs that are firmer than the ES and more progressive too.
                    As far as the smoother ride goes, you could try a different tire, as in a Regular Guy Car All Season tire (I.E. non-performance oriented). The Tire Rack's web site has a comprehensive chart based on customer feedback. I'm sure a tire rated a 9 in "ride comfort" rides much better than one rated a 5, but how much of a difference this makes I couldn't say. Also check your tire pressures. Some tire shops tend to go a little nuts.
                    2002.5 DX Sedan, Garnet Red Mica, PIAA Headlights, Racing Beat MP3 springs, Tokico HP struts, Injen CAI, MSP axle-back exhaust, MSP S.T. brace, Mod-o-fied AWR 19MM rear bar, AWR end-links F/R, 16x7 alloys w/Paradas(street), 15x6 Miata OEM alloys w/Falken Azenis(Solo II STS), personalized plates "VTC FREE"
                    I remember the days of racing when the the Drivers were Fat and the Tires were Skinny.

Comment

Some weight in the back will make the suspension soak up bumps better also. Experiment with bags of sand or cat litter. 100 to 120 pounds would be about right for a Protege. This method has made a huge difference in my experience with various cars. The good part is that if you don't like the change in the feel of the car, you haven't messed anything up.

Comment

Originally posted by frankm
                        Some weight in the back will make the suspension soak up bumps better also. Experiment with bags of sand or cat litter. 100 to 120 pounds would be about right for a Protege. This method has made a huge difference in my experience with various cars. The good part is that if you don't like the change in the feel of the car, you haven't messed anything up.
                        Adding weight decreases gas mileage... not great for a permanent solution.

Comment

Dead bodies. It's got an okay sized trunk. I'll go for the fat ones (more wieght). When they get smelly, I'll just dump 'um and get a fat fresh one.

So, seriously, the only feasable Idea I have heard is to add more side wall on my tires. I guess I'm just a little julouse when I'm driving down the highway watching a Lexus go over some big bumps in the road and the wheels are bouncing all around and the car itself is motionless. Unfourtunatly, I don't think that has anything to do with fat tires...wieght, maybe. I'm convinced it is the struts. There are some small cars that ride a lot smooter, but really don't have the performance my P5 has. I'm looking for some middle ground. Someone out there has to have stumbled onto some great stuts out there.

Comment

softer springs, shocks, and smaller sway bars

Again, they all (DX/LX/ES/P5) have the same front springs, and both sway bars (front and rear). Struts are rear springs are the only difference.

Comment

I'll give TheMAN $100.00 if he can show me a set of OEM "smaller sway bars", or "softer" front Protege springs. Repeat after me, Both Sway Bars And The Front Springs Are All The Same Regardless Of Model/Trim/Body Style (except MP3 and Mazdaspeed Turbo). Good luck KrockIT, I dont think anyone is making a "softer than OEM" strut or spring. Happy driving

Comment

Working...
                              X