Removing trunk badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing trunk badges

I got motivated today to take off the trunk badges, which I've been planning for several months now. I was on baby duty today so I couldn't get started until late afternoon, so I'm only halfway through the process right now. I should be able to finish tomorrow though.

Here's how it looked before I started:
    Attached Files

Here are my tools. Duct tape, bondo, a butter knife, touch up paint, paint brush, and paint thinner. The paint thinner is useful to clean bondo off the car where I smeared it accidentally.
    Attached Files

Comment

Now for the process. The badges (seen in the picture above) are held to the car by small posts that go through a plastic grommet in the outer wall of the trunk.

Step 1: I pried up the badges using a Swiss Army knife, and scratched the paint slightly in the process. I would recommend finding another way to get them off.

Step 2: I pulled the plastic grommets out of the holes to make them flush with the back of the trunk. I had to squeeze them from the inside with needle nose pliers to get them out, which on the drivers side was a huge pain because of a bracket that got in the way.

Step 3: I covered the holes from the inside with duct tape to give the bondo a base to hold on to (see picture below). DISCLAIMER: I have made this work decently well in the past, but using duct tape is by no means the best or only way to do this, and I would recommend a more permanent method. I am using this simply because I've never done this before, and it's easy to remove if I screw up too badly. Once I'm satisfied I will attach a better backing material.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jnorion; 04-24-2004, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Step 4: From the outside, I used the butter knife to spread bondo evenly into the hole. Paint thinner on a paper towel takes the excess off the car fairly well, but the bondo dries very fast so be sure to clean it as soon as you can.

At midnight tonight my car will become a vampire (see picture below).
        Attached Files

Comment

Tomorrow I will paint the spots back to the original color of the car. I also haven't decided whether or not I want to remove the center Mazda symbol. Here are photoshopped pictures of what it will look like when it's finished, with and without the Mazda symbol. I'm not asking for help deciding, but if anyone has opinions about it feel free to comment.
          Attached Files

Comment

i like the way it looks without anything.

2000 White Protege LX
            Sumitomo 195/60HR14
            2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
            Kenwood KDC-MP522 Head Unit
            Kenwood KAC-7251 (800 W) Amp
            Audiobahn AWC10T x 2 Subs
            Kenwood Music Keg
            Black Widow Keyless Entry
            Intake- Custom SRI
            Clear Corner Lights
            APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

Yeah... without anything looks better.
              It makes the tailights stand out.
              Past: 1994 White Protege DX ~DEAD~

Current: 05' Onyx Black Mazda 6 'S' ~Bone Stock~

Originally posted by TheMAN
              you MUST keep in mind the 2nd gen is the bastard child of the proteges...

Comment

i am fixing to do the same thing
                erebuni shogun kit,alt g-force 17 inch wheels,ventus h2 tires,black taillights,jsp apache spoiler,tinted windows, custom eyelids,painted calipers and drums,goldline springs,m3 mirrors,toucan xenon headlights and corner lights,brospeed exhaust,aem short ram air intake,mp3 strutbar,ngk plugs and wires, yellow carbon fiber dash kit,sony xplode cd player,alpine mids and highs,jl audio subwoofer, acoustic 360 amp,weapon r j-spec floor mats,painted gauge bezel and colomn around steering wheel, reverse indiglo gauges,chrome gauge bezel,autotechnic s-7 water temp gauge with a carbon fiber autometer mounting cupalpine alarm.

Comment

im going to be doing this soon as well, but im leaving the flying M logo on. i kinda like it.
                  2002.5 protege dx

Comment

im using a plastic square and superglue for the inside hole covering, or i could use ducttape with bondo over it

shaved trunks look sweet... shaved doors look better (just did my friend's jetta!)
                    2002 Protege LX
                    ] Eibach Pro Springs [] Tokico HP shocks [] AWR rear swaybar [] PIAA Super Plasma GT-X [] custom CAI [] 30% all-around tints [] 17" Flik Wasps / Kumho Ecsta 711 tires [] APC Eurotails [

Comment

I took the "Protege" and "MAZDA" off and left the symbol on. A month after I took the symbol off and love it. Much cleaner, silver too btw.

Looks Awesome!
                      Want Projector Headlights ?

Comment

I can't make the paint work... did you get it to look good without re-spraying the entire trunk lid? I can't make it look right at all.

Comment

body shop did repaint the entire trunk lid
                          Want Projector Headlights ?

Comment

Originally posted by Witchdoktor
                            body shop did repaint the entire trunk lid
                            That's what I was afraid of. I went to the body shop today for advice, and they said they could fill the holes for about $40, but to do the whole thing would be something like $350. I think at this point I'm just going to put the badges back on until I can work out a way to paint the trunk lid myself. Then I'll give them the $40 for welding.

Comment

you can do it yourself still. Get some fiberglass and put some glass over the back off the holes (inside). Then bondo from the outside, sand smooth (smallest area possible), prime area, then have painted. If you do all the hard work, the paiting is all you;ll have to pay for. Or if you have a easily color matched car, use a rattle can of GOOD automotive paint followed by wet sanding and clear. Its involved but possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X