Project Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Protege

Ok, as a few of you may already know, I'm in the middle of building the fastest All Motor Protege in North America. I'm only a few months into serious building, and I'm already in the 15s, which isn't bad. My goal is 170whp and to do the 1/4 mile in the high 13s. I tried making a log at TO Protege, but the server was screwed up, and wouldn't let you post more than 200 words or something like that. I think the information would be more appreciated on here, so I'll make on here. I'll list my mods, cost and how much wheel hp each mod got me. I dyno every mod to see what gains are, so it'll help anyone else out who's considering the same mod. (just remember these are Canadian dollars)

Mod Price
    Power Steering Removal free
    18 degrees ignition timing free
    RX7 Airflow Meter $70
    Generic Pod Filter $40
    2.5" cat $100
    2.5" resonator $100
    2.5" OBX KV2013 muffler $97 (on sale from $400...got lucky there)
    2.5" SS tubing & install $650
    Dyno time $240

Mod Whp
    Baseline* 110.9 (102.8@7000rpm)
    Exhaust 113.6 (107.5@7000rpm)
    18 degrees ignition advance 114.9 (108.6@7000rpm)
    RX7 AFM(dyno tuned) 117.2 (113.8@7000rpm)

*Power steering removed(est 2hp), 16 degrees ignition advance(est 5hp), OBX axle back[different one](est 3hp)

Mod 1/4 mile
    Baseline with 185/60/14 16.3@84
    Baseline with 205/40/17 16.8@82
    Exhaust, ignition, RX7 AFM and 185/60/14s 15.97@86

Future Mods
    Custom header
    Cam gears
    Greddy E-Manage
    Toda Cams(272 duration intake, 256 duration exhaust)
    Bored Throttle Body
    Honed Intake Manifold
    .020" overbore with Miata 10:1 pistons
    Head port and polish with 3 angle valve job
    Crank lightened and balanced to 10,000rpm
    Rods balanced, lightened and shot peened.

As you can see, I'm doing ok for the few mods I have. My key, is my gameplan. I know where I want to make power(high RPM), so I'm using parts that aid in top end breathing. My car even makes 108hp at 7400rpm. The key to ignition timing and RX7 AFM is dyno tuning. I'd say buy the meter and pony up the cash to get that and the ignition timing done right. Just those two cheap mods can get you 10hp at the wheels. My next mod is going to be a custom made header. 1 3/4 diametre primaries at 36", 3" diametre collector 10" long, into my 2.5" exhaust. Should be good for another 7 whp, since the stock manifold is a huge restriction. Should be good for a lot of NOISE too, since my 2.5" is already one of the loudest I've ever heard. I'll post the dyno results when it's done.

he's not kidding. I drove his protege and it's sick!!!!!! Hell of a ride!!,, Black one in my sig
    NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

hey my question is do you have a DOCH engine or Soch? if you have a soch engine can you help to make mine run like yours? thanks

Comment

my plan is to run 14.5 w/ street tires i have most of ur mods and more but the problem is my car is running like **** rite now the hesitation and vibration that im getting is not helping out. I've been trying to fix it for about a year and **** just wont go away. I did all the checking that u can possibly think off and still there.

Istill am using my stock b6 (323) for some reason i think its got better gear ratio, i know its weak and easy to break but since it hasn't im still keeping it . maybe next month (May) i'll run my car at the track and see how it is with my new clutch and light wheels w/ azenis...

Comment

Originally posted by Poison_Snake
          hey my question is do you have a DOCH engine or Soch? if you have a soch engine can you help to make mine run like yours? thanks
          Mine's DOHC. There's not much you can do to your car, but I'll help you in any way I can. I'd go for torque, since you can't rev your car very high. Start by getting a good 2.25" exhaust system, with a 4-2-1 header and hi-flow cat, resonator and muffler. Get a pod filter for your VAF too. After those two mods, things will get hard....

Comment

Originally posted by 1ofdfew323
            my plan is to run 14.5 w/ street tires i have most of ur mods and more but the problem is my car is running like **** rite now the hesitation and vibration that im getting is not helping out. I've been trying to fix it for about a year and **** just wont go away. I did all the checking that u can possibly think off and still there.

Istill am using my stock b6 (323) for some reason i think its got better gear ratio, i know its weak and easy to break but since it hasn't im still keeping it . maybe next month (May) i'll run my car at the track and see how it is with my new clutch and light wheels w/ azenis...

Have you tried having the dealer look at your car?

Comment

Gen1Gt, why a resonator?? Dosent that restrict the exhaust flow a little bit? Especially if your going for all out top end, you'd want as little restriction as possible w/o going overkill with say like a 4" exhaust straight through as to keep a bit of exhaust pulse (is that whats its called? Ive got nearly the same mods as you, except untuned and no advanced timing. And Im betting I will be in the low 16s high 15s with some good tires and seat time. Maybe Ill have to spoil you, and be an even faster N/A ....btw, what are you giong to do for fuel management, actually whats your plans to get to 170whp?? I was shooting for 140-160.
              Last edited by 91ProtegeLX; 04-25-2004, 04:11 PM.
              Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by 91ProtegeLX
                Gen1Gt, why a resonator?? Dosent that restrict the exhaust flow a little bit? Especially if your going for all out top end, you'd want as little restriction as possible w/o going overkill with say like a 4" exhaust straight through as to keep a bit of exhaust pulse (is that whats its called? Ive got nearly the same mods as you, except untuned and no advanced timing. And Im betting I will be in the low 16s high 15s with some good tires and seat time. Maybe Ill have to spoil you, and be an even faster N/A ....btw, what are you giong to do for fuel management, actually whats your plans to get to 170whp?? I was shooting for 140-160.
                Look at the bottom of my first post, you'll see my future mods.

I used a resonator to keep noise to a minimum, and to keep it from sounding like a riced-out fart cannon. The restriction is extremely minimal for the amount it lessens and changes the sound. I didn't lose any torque when I went to 2.5" exhuast, but if you went any larger, you'd lose your bottom end. 2.5" is totally large enough to flow 170whp, so there's no need to sacrafice torque with larger exhaust.

If you think you can drive your car faster than mine, then all the power to you. But it's not like I'm going to sit here and let my car get slower I'm going to the track on Saturday, and I guarantee I'll come back with a 15.8 or better.

It's actually quite exciting to see this many guys interested in NA power. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone can do.

Comment

Yea, 2.5" was my first choice, but for some reason I went with 2.25" which I think is good enough for 170whp as well. Sorry I didnt see your mods list, but are you going to upgrade your rockers, valve springs, or valves at all? I havent really researched this, but Im wondering how high of rpm's the stock valvetrain can handle before it experiences some sort of valve float. Good luck with your setup, its quite similiar to the one that I just returned, I had on order some custom wiseco 11.5:1 pistons. Good luck again, and keep me informed, you seem to know your **** pretty good. Im sure well prolly come across the same questions and answers!
                  Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen1GT
                    Have you tried having the dealer look at your car?
                    no, they wont touch my car because of my engine swap..

Comment

Originally posted by 91ProtegeLX
                      Yea, 2.5" was my first choice, but for some reason I went with 2.25" which I think is good enough for 170whp as well. Sorry I didnt see your mods list, but are you going to upgrade your rockers, valve springs, or valves at all? I havent really researched this, but Im wondering how high of rpm's the stock valvetrain can handle before it experiences some sort of valve float. Good luck with your setup, its quite similiar to the one that I just returned, I had on order some custom wiseco 11.5:1 pistons. Good luck again, and keep me informed, you seem to know your **** pretty good. Im sure well prolly come across the same questions and answers!
                      Valve springs are good for 7800rpm. The 99+ Miata springs are better, and will fit with a few minor modifications. There are no rockers in our car, otherwise, engine RPM wouldn't be as high. You'll need solid lash adjustors, as the HLAs aren't good for anything too high, especially if you get higher lift cams. I want to run maybe 8000-8500rpm, so I'm getting the Toda locked lash adjustor kit.

What size pistons did you order? I was considering Toda's with 2mm overbore, but they're $880 American. So I might just go with newer Miata 10:1, then shave the head and deck the block, with a .020" overbore. That would raise cc to 1889ish. You can get those Wiseco pistons in 2mm overbore, just so you know. 2mm overbore makes our engine almost 2.0L.

Comment

you're gonna kill yourself with that much power
                        NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

The pistons that I had on order were 2mm overbore.
                          Eat ****.

Comment

mmmm thanks i already have my exhaust system 2.5" but i have no more mods on my car im thinking on turbo with a DOCH engine but that will come later because i dont have a job and is not to easy for me make that kind of money but thanks and good luck with your car and thats go for everyone

Comment

guess what, youve got some competition in the fastest n/a protege area... im gonna use the 9.5:1's probably
                              Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X