Brake Fluid Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Fluid Questions

Anybody know about how many liters of fluid are used in a gen2 w/ 4 wheel disc & abs (ES trim level)? Also, is it worth the extra few bucks to get the DOT 4 or 5.1 fluid? Thx in advance

Just get Valvoline Synpower, it's not very expensive. I would get two of the small bottles if you're concerned about how much you'll need. You won't need that much unless you flush the entire system. Get two small ones instead of one big one, so you can keep the second bottle closed if you don't need it. Brake fluid bottles that have been opened and have sat around for more than a week or so shouldn't really be used.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I am flushing the system though, going to be putting in the SS lines

Comment

I would get a big bottle plus one small one.

Comment

I just use a generic brand of brake fluid and flush the system regularly on both cars. I don't know what the capacity is, but I bleed the system and keep the resovoir full at all times.
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Use Valvoline Synpower or Castrol GT-LMA. End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by charles
              I need to take you for a spin in my 323 ... lmao ...
              ohh that's right you drove in 1ofdfew's if I am not mistaken ...lol.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Motul
                Ford motorsport BF is an almost as good, and slightly cheaper alternative.
                Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

That still leaves the question of how much fluid i need. . .

Comment

bro just buy 2 bottles. Even though I think one bottle should be enough. You would just have enough for next time.

to be honest wheather or not I open a bottle of brake fluid, I figin will be using it again.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

K, hey bruce btw, did you read the thread about the fuel mileage?

Comment

I would get a big bottle plus one small one.

Comment

Bruce - you really shouldn't "top off" your brake fluid.

The level in the reservoir will normally drop as the pads wear. With the pads resting closer to the rotor, the calipers are a little more closed at rest, so more fluid is in the lines.

If you flush the system every time you do a pad change, then no big deal i guess. But you could still get brake fluid spillage when you push the caliper pistons back and the excess overfills the reservoir.

And - though this may be TOTAL coincidence and NOT engineering genius - my fluid level signals when I need a pad change. Just as my fronts were getting to the end of their useable life, my "brake" light on the dash started coming on. The worn pads allowed the fluid level to drop enough to set off the idiot light during corners & hard braking when the fluid got sloshed around a bit.

The light is only for low fluid, but the worn pads CAUSED the low fluid, and on came the light. Sweet!

~HH

Comment

Wow , you let your pads get that far. hehe. Nah, I usually take my tires off and check the pads every oil change, so once I see them getting close I change them. I drive hard from time to time or sporadically, so for me it is one of the most important things to keep my pads up to snuff. I tend to bleed the brakes after each pad change. I know I don't need to, but I do it.
                            You know how new york is with the sudden stops. ( this is especially important with the protege and the jspec front. That car stops quick right now.).

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                            X