Falken Azenis - thinking of purchaseing a set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falken Azenis - thinking of purchaseing a set

Yeah , I am considering to purchase a set of Falken Azenis for my protege. I want the 205/50/15 size.
    My only problem is I am a bit bothered by there lack of wet traction. I know they are a dry compound tire, but there are chances of getting caught in the rain out here.

Does anyone have them on there cars?
    How are they in the rain?
    Do you get a gliding fealing while cornering in the rain at 50 moh or so?

I want a tire that will be sticky enough to autocross on, but also get my street driving done. I don't drive the protege everyday, but I do take it out one weekly romps.

Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

I haven't driven in my Azenis too much in the wet, but I had no problems in my 45 minute commute Monday morning to school. I didn't get a chance to change out my tires from Sunday's autocross. It was raining pretty bad. Mind you, I was doing ~35 in traffic the entire way keeping it safe.

They are a great autocross tire for what you pay, except when they get hot. My friends and I learned that first hand at Sunday's event. After our first two runs, things got slippery for us real fast. As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone DIDN'T spin out that day.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Like Protege Menace says, there is No Tire that will let you drive 10/10ths banzai-mode in the rain, especially standing water. I've driven to events on the Falkens, and raced in light rain with them. Like any tire, they work best in the wet when the tread is newer and deeper. BTW, they autocross much better on asphalt than they do on concrete. And despite what anyone is telling you, they are NOT "just like an R compound." They are a really good street tire, but stickies will still buy you about 2 seconds over them.
      2002.5 DX Sedan, Garnet Red Mica, PIAA Headlights, Racing Beat MP3 springs, Tokico HP struts, Injen CAI, MSP axle-back exhaust, MSP S.T. brace, Mod-o-fied AWR 19MM rear bar, AWR end-links F/R, 16x7 alloys w/Paradas(street), 15x6 Miata OEM alloys w/Falken Azenis(Solo II STS), personalized plates "VTC FREE"
      I remember the days of racing when the the Drivers were Fat and the Tires were Skinny.

Comment

try Toyo Proxes T1-S for a good wet/dry performance street tire.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

of course, the PREFERABLE setup for autox is to have a set of street-only rims/tires and another set of smaller wheels (hell even steelies will do) wrapped in autox-only tires.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

this is for frequent autocrossers, obviously (more than 2-3 events a year)

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

well I was also considering the yokohoma es100's.

Remember I don't drive the protege everyday, but there are weeks that I do drive it for week at a time or so. Basically the tire will be on some honda civic steelies 15x7 until I get some lightweight rims. I just don't really feal all that comfy with the wet grip.
              Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Civic 15x7 steelies? Very unlikely. A 15x6 steelie w/4x100 bolt pattern is like finding the golden ticket in the Wonka Bar. Some Civics had 15x6 alloys, some Accords had 15x6 steelies, but they are wrong bolt pattern. Good luck none the less.
                2002.5 DX Sedan, Garnet Red Mica, PIAA Headlights, Racing Beat MP3 springs, Tokico HP struts, Injen CAI, MSP axle-back exhaust, MSP S.T. brace, Mod-o-fied AWR 19MM rear bar, AWR end-links F/R, 16x7 alloys w/Paradas(street), 15x6 Miata OEM alloys w/Falken Azenis(Solo II STS), personalized plates "VTC FREE"
                I remember the days of racing when the the Drivers were Fat and the Tires were Skinny.

Comment

They are funNn!
                  My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                  - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

toyo proxes t1-s

the official race tire of Speed World Challenge Touring Car series

they actually shave it down to 2/16" for races

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Originally posted by HstockDXer
                      Civic 15x7 steelies? Very unlikely. A 15x6 steelie w/4x100 bolt pattern is like finding the golden ticket in the Wonka Bar. Some Civics had 15x6 alloys, some Accords had 15x6 steelies, but they are wrong bolt pattern. Good luck none the less.
                      Yes sir!
                      The civic steelies that I have are 15x7.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                      X