Broken Winshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Winshield

I was just want to ask, Has anyone had any problems with their front windshield?? I got a tiny stone chip, within a week, its the whole lenght of the glass!! Is this just bad luck, or is there some kind of recall of this.

(please let this be a recall)

Monkey
    Attached Files

Sorry not a recall. Its just bad luck. The pressure from the wind hitting as your driving probably caused it to crack more. The only thing you can do is get it replaced. I cracked my windshield before, but not on my mazda. I punched the windshield of my celica...long story. If you have full coverage see if your insurance company will cover it. I know in Florida you can get your winsheild replaced for free if you have full coverage.
    Sagaris

Comment

Just had mine replaced today. It was replaced in July from a crack, and another hit right on the rearview mirror mount cause about a 2 foot long crack while I was deployed. Here in South Carolina it's a free replacement with my full-coverage, since South Carolina laws specify that it must be fixed. Check with your insurance company is the bottom line.

Also, make sure they mount the mirror correctly. First time I had it replaced the guy screwed up.
      My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
      JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
      AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

thats really odd because i have this crack that came out of no where that runns along the base of practicaly my whole front windshield. i have no idea where it came from and i am wicked mad!
        Whats life if you cant enjoy it?

Comment

wow. I havent ever had a problem with my mazda at all. I have a chip in the windshield thats been there forever...taken her on the highway over 100 to miami no problems with it cracking more....hummmmmmm
          might be in a difficult spot.
          gar.rocko: you might want to take that to the dealership and have it looked at especially if nothing hit it to cause the crack.
          Sagaris

Comment

The windshield guy told me there are these types of impacts:
            1. Target - looks like a circle with an impact point in the middle
            2. Spider - impact point with at least two "legs" coming off of it
            3. Impact point - just a chip out of the surface of the windshield, if it cracks it starts generally only two crack directions originating from the impact point

I had an impact point where two cracks spread, one straight up, the other hooked towards the driver's side.

The first time I had the glass replaced was due to a large impact that hit the hood first. It was at night and my wife never saw it. Whatever it was gouged the hood first, so it was something big.

As for the second one, I think that because it was right behind the mirror mount, the heat and stress and vibration of that spot caused the stress cracks to spread.
            My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
            JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
            AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

Comment

Thanks for all the help everyone, the one problem i have with insurance here in ontario canada, you have to pay a deductible thats like a couple of hundred then theyll fix it, so theres not really a point of going that way.
              Gar. Rocko, my friend has the same ****ing thing and so do i.

Comment

gar.rocko, if you look closely, I bet you will find a small chip somewhere along the crack. If not, it's some sort of stress fracture.

Comment

bah, i've had a chip out of my windshield for a long time now, but it hasn't gotten any worse. i figure if i can make my windshield wipers jump with my system, and the chip hasn't spred to a crack, i'm not gonna worry about it

Comment

I have two chips in mine right now....DAMN THAT ROCK TRUCK!! But my question is.... why are the windshields for the 2000 protege so expensive... I am on my 3rd windshield now and in need of another one... Just bad luck I guess... but if anyone knows of a place to get a windshield for less than $600 let me know please because that is the cheapest I have been able to get out of the last couple times. Og course I only paid the $250 deductible but still.... that's a lot of money to put up ... oh well...

Comment

the price I saw on the invoice to the insurance company is $340.12 which is what I would have to pay.

Blue, what's up? Long time. Looks like they finally sent you home.

Comment

Originally posted by glyph

Blue, what's up? Long time. Looks like they finally sent you home.

not much back to being electronics manager at staples, here in good old daytona beach, FL charleston was fun, but daytona is home. course we got put on alert last sunday, so there's a chance i'll be going to iraq for clean up efforts. i should know more after this weekend.

Comment

Just wanted to revive this thread because I walked up to my car yesterday and found a crack that starts at the very bottom of my windshield. There's absolutely no impact point so it definitely seems like a "stress" fracture. Has anybody had any luck getting their dealer to replace the windshield because of a stress crack?

I'm the one stressed out, why the heck is my windshield crackin'?

Comment

it should be an insurance item. I'm not sure how old your car is, but if its brand new, call the dealer. Otherwise, call your insurance. Do a real good check, because I had the same thing, and it turned out there was a tiny impact point. That made a difference as to what stock the glass repair company could pull from. Stupid, but the way it happened.

Comment

Well i got mine fixed and instead of going through insurance i just paid cash and paid 350 canadian. but like the above reply take a good look.

Comment

Working...
                              X