CD just started cutting off for no reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD just started cutting off for no reason

I am driving along and hit a radio preset button and the thing just shut off! It came back on eventually, but this has just started happening and is happening more and more. What could be causing this? Also, it happened with no bass playing, so it wasn't like a CD was playing and stopped playing. This has happened recently with the CD playing and tracking up and when hitting a preset button and the power cuts off, then back on. Occasionally the radio will shut off if I hit a bump.

The problem I describe at first happened while the car was running, but not traveling in motion, so no bumps caused it to cut off. Do I need a new head unit?? This never happened before.

Lastly, this may have nothing to do with it, but I disconnected speaker wires of all my highs and put it on the big amp and switched RCAs on the crossover (having nothing to do with the head unit). I hit the power button on after cranking up the car and the **** wouldn't cut on! After the 3rd time I hit the button it still didn't cut on and finally after removing and re-attaching the faceplate it came back on, but when I hit a radio preset button, it cut off again.

None of the memory of the presets were lost. Before this problem, the faceplate was already on (so it wasn't like I put it on wrong when I got in the car).

Now every thing is working fine, so problem is
    intermittent but occuring more often now than ever!!

Don't fail me now ALPINE!!! It's an older unit I got in the mid 90's when 4V preouts first came out and was repaired once for not playing CDs and worked fine until now.

(Is it still alive?!)
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

Sounds like the HU is going bad. See...this is why this addiction never ends...we drive all the equipment into the ground. Now would be a good time to pick up the CDA-7995 for $299 at crutchfield.

Comment

yeah, it's not sounding too good the HU is probably dying. on a lighter note, i'll be building your box tomorrow

Comment

I got in the car on the way home tonight and started jiggling the thing and it kept cutting on and off. I think it may be a short some where or perhaps something is crimping the wire (power wire) even though I used butt connectors. There are some unused wires that I cut with the wire cutters, but not put any type of butt connector or end on the wires not used (speaker wires from the HU) which may be coming in contact with metal. I am not sure, but tomorrow, I'll take it out and check in to it. I remember when I put the thing in, there were a lot of wires jumbled back there that I stuffed down below the radio as best as I could so that the unit would slide all the way in and "click" in to place. I hope that is all. The CDA-7995 is a steal, but damn if I have the amount to spend on it right now. I just have other priorities and the HU I have now has every thing I want such as the single turn knob that is the volume/treble/bass/etc. Very user friendly, good sound quality, and 3 sets of 4 Volt outputs. It also came with a remote that I never used except when it was in my fullsized Jimmy which was bouncy as hell (it came in good use then!) Nothing worse than adjusting the volume, hitting a pothole and hitting the knob and the bass adj. comes on. Then you have to go through all to get back to the volume or hit a different button on the player to get it out of the adjust mode. I'll see what I find out tomorrow.

I like Alpine, but am open to any suggestions. I like the Pioneer DEH6500's display, but you have to go up a model (and $90) to get the 4 volt preouts!) I'll let you know what I find out so if it happens to some one else you know, you can say, "Oh yeah, that happened to this ****tard guy name Michael aka MisterT and...." You get the picture

Blue, that is good news. I appreciate you throwing in free plexiglass all the way around along with mirrors and neon and such. You really shouldn't have! I know dream on! I know you could do it, but I know plexi that thick ain't cheap either! :p:

Groundkit

Comment

could be just a bad ground... happened to my friends cd player while were sitting in his driveway... and I'll recommend Alpine for your next HU if you have to get one:D

Comment

That is what I have now and for the money, it has the best useful features you can get. I say useful in that, it may not have all the bells and whistles such as screens with **** all over it, but it has important stuff like 4 volt preouts, media expander, bass engine to name a few. When you look at other units, to have these kinds of features, you actually have to pay more!

Before my Alpine, I had a Kenwood and it was very nice (a good bang for your buck unit with features that the Alpine didn't have minus the 4Volt output). Although I use separate amps, when I switched from Kenwood to Alpine, I actually could hear the difference between the two players and the Alpine sounded much better IMO. It had the advantage of 4V outs, but music sounded more smooth and natural the way the recording was done and not too harsh. It was almost like comparing speakers! I have heard good things about Blaupunkt, but the S/N ratio is a God awful 85 decibels, whereas the Alpine is 105 or 108.

Groundkit

Comment

i'm hoping it's just a loose wire. if you can move it around and it does it, that sounds like that's all it is. something is up with the new blaupunkt HU's. they didn't change much from last years, that i had, and mine had 108 s/n ratio, better than alpine's 105

Comment

Originally posted by Rider69
                Sounds like the HU is going bad. See...this is why this addiction never ends...we drive all the equipment into the ground. Now would be a good time to pick up the CDA-7995 for $299 at crutchfield.
                i agree with rider69, its a good excuse to pick up this great deal.
                '02 classic red p5
                currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Well, I took the unit out and had wires that were cut, but still possible way of them coming in contact with metal if just right, it could have possibly shorted the unit out. I capped the speaker wires from the HU which aren't use and discovered a piece of cut wire close to the butt connector of the remote out where a previous component was tied in to. The wire although cut, could possibly come in to contact with metal, so I wrapped electrical tape around it as well, plugged it in and tried jiggling the wires behind the unit to duplicate the problem. The unit worked fine and so I unhooked it, reinstalled the dash kit and plugged the harness, RCA wire, and antenna wire in and did another trial. I hit the buttons repeatedly and even pushed the unit and tapped it with CD player on and with radio on. I hit the preset buttons at random, and no problems any more. Phew!! Hopefully that was it! Although the CDA-7995 looks awfully good right now, I really shouldn't spend the money on a new unit if my old one is working just fine!

Groundkit

Comment

who called it... oh wait that was me

Comment

dude, i'm sorry but i have to say it, alpine ISN'T the best. I know this is a huge blow to your self-esteem but thats what AA is for man
                      '02 classic red p5
                      currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Where I worked, Alpine was the best sounding out of the limited amount of head units that we sold, and Kenwood had the most bang for your buck as far as features in a head unit. I hear a lot of stuff on Blaupunkt, but have never listened to one. Their expensive models have good specs, but their cheaper ones have a S/N ratio of only 85 db! (huh?)Sony we sold also, but never was too fond of because of troubles with their products and before I left, McIntosh which was a kick ass unit, but had a lot of problems with it and cost the guy a **** load of money when he bought it too! I hear that Clarion is made or makes McIntosh head units. We also sold Pioneer, but none of their high end stuff. I like their display on the DEH6500, but you have to step up to a 7500 for the 4V preouts. Only other units sold here in Chas. are JVC and Fosgate (sucky AC Delco ****)! What unit do you like waylight?

Groundkit

Comment

I know they arent the best.... I say they are simply cuz I have just alpine... I know there are but I'll never admit it in public(err wait I just did) I wil lsay that alpine makes the best HU and not saying htat cuz I have one... they just do...speakers and subs and amps... hell no.. no where close but for the SQ enthusiast who doesnt want to pay 1900-2800 for brax and rainbow audio...its a pretty damn good alternative... and I wanted my whole system to be the same.... so that made alot of brands not get picked and out of the ones left...alpine seemed to be the best... too bad resonant or ED doesnt make HU and components(even though I Heard that resonant is gonna start makin components)

Comment

PErsonally, If I had to choose one for everything...HU included, I would go for Eclipse. Their head units are better than Alpines in my mind (but they don't do XM) and their speakers just kick ass.

Comment

next system is gonna be eclpise everything except amp and sub. their speakers just blow me away... unless I hear good things about the resonant components eclipse it is

Comment

Working...
                              X