I feel your pain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel your pain.

I have my best friends 1995 lx to watch over for a year. This car is okay on gas millage, and decent for its state on performance.
    But it seems like all anyone can say to do about their z5 is swap. 5 of my last 6 cars were all swaps. I just dont want to make that a solution everytime I get a car, and want to go crazy with it. All I really want to do is get 120hp, shave off weight and get 45mpg. Pretty simple goal. Right now I have an OBX Protege fs03 CAI rigged to work since i got the thing for $30, and it looked like it might work, and it did a fine job.

I've been browsing the boards for a while, and never find anything outside of bruce saying... swap. Yeah, I dont blame his mentality, but I nor does my best friend need this pro to be a fast car. So if anyone can give me some advice before I just pull the damn thing appart and take longer than I have to with ideas.

hmm.. 35 shot of nitrous?? IDK..
    Past: 1994 White Protege DX ~DEAD~

Current: 05' Onyx Black Mazda 6 'S' ~Bone Stock~

Originally posted by TheMAN
    you MUST keep in mind the 2nd gen is the bastard child of the proteges...

Comment

Yeah nitrous would be sweet.
      My friend did a 50 shot on his 1.5. I think it was a wet set up.
      He also used an msd retard box, but you can always do that manaually.
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

so everyone gives up on this motor. I see how it is -=) Used to be like that in another car that I had, but I didnt give up on it.

Comment

Well, let us know what you find out with this one.

Comment

well i'm a crazy bastard gettin my z5 turbo'd at Essential right now.. so i'll let you know if its worth it
            98 Protege SE
            -------------------
            1.5L Turbo

Comment

This isnt mine or his primary car, or primary project car. So Im pulling the motor next weekend. But if nobody here really knows a lot about the thing, then im going solo.

No idea how Im going to reach my small goal so... Im going to make a copper gasket set, and do a rebuild like I normally would do as an introduction to any other project car. Check everything out and see what I can do from there. I still have a supercharger off a 4agze that I need to rebuild aswell. Its rated at 8psi, but thats to much for this project.
              Then another thing I'm going to see if I can do at the shop is build some generic headers and pulleys. Going to increase the compression to 9.8:1 hopefully by playing with the timing and head. And I expect this should take me 3-4 months if other parts of my life wont interfear. But like pulleys.. besides getting generic size and type.. does anyone make a set for the z5? Or maybe someone among the group that programs chips?
              I dont see myself totally over $500 for everything that I want to do mechanically, but I will be under budget because all I do in my freetime is mess around in a local shop. I can do most work myself or get someone to help me. no big deal.
              Just kinda surprized that no matter what forum, or what car guy i meet that owns a z5 pro, they never take the thing into detail. They either leave it alone or swap to a bp. Is this just the black sheep? Are people not knowledgable about it? What gives? because it looks like any other project to me. And I hate 4th gear on this thing.

Comment

im confused, you have your friends car for a year, and your gonna **** with it to try and get some horsepower???
                .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                225.94wtq
                torque monster!!!!
                dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

if you can get 120hp and 42 mpg out of a z5, for $500 or less...I'm all for it...as long as it's reliable. I don't really have a GTR engine swap as an option, and really, that kind of improvement would be plenty for me. Keep us informed on what you're doin, Crystallas.

Comment

Hes my best friend, and a lifelong one for that. Im deemed non-deployable because I maxed my time in combat zone per 5 year period. And until that flag is lifted, I wont be joining them this time. He has a 300zx n/a that has a blown motor, and Im swapping that one allready for a 4.5L v8. Which hes allready paid me for everything, but I made some connections down here, and I'll be going under budget, so I thought that his daily driver can be pushed up a little too. I dont mind rebuilding the existing motor, but 2 engine swaps and rebuilds is to much for me. I allways rebuild anything that I swap in, I never put a pulled motor into any car without doing a rebuild, regardless of millage and waranty. I think everyone should, you can tell a lot about the motor if you rebuild it. Plus if your a motorhead, this is very enjoyable. Maybe im crazy But it would be nice if my best friend could come back from afghanistan and enjoy freedom for a minute

Ive done this kind of small stuff before. Its just sad to see that I cant find anyone who has a real knowledge base. Not jumping on the site.. the car is pretty weak to begin with, so its understandable. But some people are shopheads and allways pull apprt anything they have.

Comment

Working...
                    X