Could I install my coilovers myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could I install my coilovers myself?

Yea I got my coilover in today and I wanted to put them on but when I got them I knew I had to ask everyone in clubprotege of what I should do... 2 of my buddies said it will not be hard at all but im askin has anyone put there coilovers in there selfs , Im mean with help but not payin 200 hundred to get them in by a pro... If so could someone tell me give me the basics on takin the old spring out and placing the new one in... And why do I need all the rubber pieces how does this damn thing is suppose to be put together anyways... Im goin to try the rear of the car Saturday so that is why I need some professional advise from the peps in Clubprotege.com
    Ratrod

its not to hard. u need to take off the struts ( 4 little bolts on top, dont touch big one in middle) and then compress the springs with a spring copressor, then remove the big bolt. then slide the old spring off. next put the coilover on. then put the top plate back on with the big bolt. then put the strut back on the car
    i is dumb

Comment

Yeah its really not hard at all, but can be time consuming. Set a weekend aside and do it and save yourself some bling.
      BP-05 Turbo-Sold
      2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by skr33t_rac3r
        its not to hard. u need to take off the struts ( 4 little bolts on top, dont touch big one in middle) and then compress the springs with a spring copressor, then remove the big bolt. then slide the old spring off. next put the coilover on. then put the top plate back on with the big bolt. then put the strut back on the car
        Unless you have air tools, do undo the 'big bolt' in the middle, just not all the way out. It's much easier to get it going once the strut/spring assembly is still on the car. Darryl's how-to should give you an idea of what's involved in the job. Will you be upgrading the struts also?

-------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
        -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

yeah ur probably right, but be careful cause the spring can shoot right through the car if u loosen that big bolt too much
          i is dumb

Comment

I just installed my springs the other day it was EASY. Just time consuming. First jack the car up and put it on jack stands. Take the wheel off, then take off the brake line from the strut assembly by taking out the little plate and slide the brake hose out. Then unbolt the 2 strut bolts that attach the strut to the brake assembly. Their like 17mm I believe. You'll prolly want to use a breaker bar, cuz they might be in TIGHT. Mine were. After you get those two bolts out, pop your hood. Undo the strut cylinder (i think thats the name) bolt about 3/4 of the way, unless you have an air compressor. Dont take it out all the way. Next undo the 4 bolts around the bolt you just loosened. Pull the strut out. Now, take a spring compressor and compress the spring down. If you dont have air tools, it might take a minute. After compressing the spring, unbolt the strut cylilnder bolt the rest of the way. Take the top plates off, and take the spring off. Uncompress the spring. Put your coilovers over your strut. And if they are adjustable, I dont think you will have to compress them with the compressor. Just Adjust them down so you can get the plate back over the strut cylinder stud, and bolt the bolt back on. Install is the same as taking it out. Do it on all 4 wheels, and your set. It took me about 2 1/2 hours, but thats how I did mine. Good luck!!
            Eat ****.

Comment

Yeah , just becareful with the spring compressor. The front springs have a good amount of pressure. The rear don't have that much.

Stop by autozone and get yourself a set of spring compressors.
              Also you may want to have someone help you with the install. Someone who has done this before.

The upper strut/chassis bolts are 14mm

The lower strut bolts are 17mm.

You may need a sledge hammer for pushing the strut bolts out.

You may need a breaker bar to help persuade the 17mm bolt to break.

You can use the breaker bar on the 17mm strut shaft bolt in the top center to crack that bolt while the strut assembly is still in the car. You don't really want to loosen it fully, just give it a turn so it's not as tight.

You will also need a dremel or something to trim down the metal washer taps on the shocks. This is so the pearch can fit over them.

The plastic washers are supposed to fit inbetween the coilover pearch and the shock body. This is so that the coilover pearch won't make excess amounts of noise while driving.

You will want to be very careful when removing your springs, we don't want to read about you being in the hospital or some ****.

with the fronts you will want to put that upper spring pearch back on top of the coilover assembly It is very important that you do this. This will help you beable to turn your car properly and will avoid that damn fealing of turning your steering wheel and the car never tracking straight afterwards. It is the upper pearch on top of the coil then the mount goes on top of that pearch.

Well good luck and if you have any Q's either pm me I can give you my phone number and you can call at will. or post the Q on this board.

later
              Bruce
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

damn bruce that seems hard man I dont want to **** nothin up and Theshowzone.com its a performace shop down here say they can do it for 141 wendsay so dont know what to do and damn it I forgot theres a car show in mrytle beach at 5 man man man....
                Ratrod

Comment

only 1 way to learn buddy....
                  91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.