Greeting and introductions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greeting and introductions

Hey hey everybody. Just a little introduction, my name is aslan, sometimes called the lyonhart, and i've come into the posession of a 1998 protege lx, 1.5L DOHC AT and all that. Its in POOR shape to be kind, and i'm just starting to look at fixing it up and at first glance it seems to be a tough nut to crack. It's clear that it doesnt have the mod support that more popular rides(damn you civic) have , but i'm sure that i'll be able to get some stuff going, and im betting that you guys know all too well the challenges i'm sure to run into.

My first project has got to be the intake, because the one in the car now is cracked in such a way that the SECOND airbox down behind the bumper is cracked on top, and sitting in the rain, water runs down the edge of the hook, drips down over the air conditioning unit and collects in the box. it fills up and then when you start the car, it takes a big old sniff of water, soaking clean through the filter in the top airbox in no time and directly into the engines air intake. It took a couple times before i figured out what the hell was going on with that, for now i drilled some holes in the bottom of the bottom air box so water dont collect, but i suppose i'm gonna need to get a new intake, and i'm not gonna another of these rediculous stock intakes...

anyway, i'm rambling, just saying hi, and if you care , you can check out www.thelyonhart.com for my music and such, its good for a car with a system, but a driver with intelligence. talk to you all soon

-aslan
    R.I.P.
    Pro-Pro
    1998 - 2005
    "Live fast, die young, sell you parts on e-bay"

Welcome to the site.... there's just one thing.... I really wouldn't ever count on the 1.5L with the automatic being fast, unless you want to spend a lot. Hehe.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

hahaha i know, i dont want it to be fast, i just want it to not try and breath water, and maybe get the oil pan to stopp rattling at 2.5krpm and maybe get rid of that horrible shudder at idle
      R.I.P.
      Pro-Pro
      1998 - 2005

Comment

Welcome! Hope you like it here.
        BTW, that has to be the coolest layout for a web page I've ever seen. I love the mead notebook navigation. pimp.
        2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

haha thanks, i thought of it one night, and decided it would take very little actual effort on my part so that was the clincher. You see, while i love cars, i dont know alot about them, and it frustrates me. I am a computer pimp, my PC has the air intakes and forced inductions and overclocking and the ill paint job with the neons on the inside with the plexi window and all that, thats my speciality. I go to the car parts store and i walk around and i realize how alot of people feel when they go to computer stores and have no idea what they are lookin at, and then they see a guy like me , geeked out with no time for thier petty mouse pad purchase. The rudeness of the guys at my local pep boys has made me much kinder to the people i meet at the computer store. haha

also i forgot to mention above, i have an AT but the shift knob is missing, i've just got a metal stick i push down to shift, and while it works, its not exactly trick, but none of the car parts stores have AT shift knobs for sale, does anyone know where i can get a good one, and maybe even if there is a chance for me to hook it up so i can finally turn the overdrive off?

man im in a rambling mood tonight, you people are really good about replying to things, i'll give you that.
          R.I.P.
          Pro-Pro
          1998 - 2005

Comment

Ever been to a junkyard ... ? It's a fun experience.

Comment

Yes, junkyards rule! I always walk out with something. Seems like when I get there I can never remember everything I was wanting.
              2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Hey Lyon Hart. You are in luck. I just took my automatic transmission set up out of my car and i can get you my old AT shifter.. Anything you need for an automatic i have.... I can also make you an intake for cheap too. Anyway, i know how you feel. Before i could drive i was a comp junky, spending money or ram and amped up 3d cards...i didnt know a damn thing about cars. A few years later i did my own engine swap and tranny swap and turbo kit...If you have the desire to learn it will come in no time..Dont worry
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah, a year ago and I would have never believe I could swap an engine.

Comment

Yeah, I've always had a love of cars, and a desire to know more about them, but in my developmental years, in junior high and high school and such, i just couldnt land myself any sort of mentor on the subject, you know? I've got whats called panic disorder, so it makes it very hard to ask questions and meet people and such, especially like autoshop kids or whatever, who tended to be a bit more brash. All i could come up with were the loner HaXoR kids from around my neighborhood, and thats how i learned my craft with computers.

i would cetainly be interested in the AT shifter, and the intake too, what type of intakes do you make? have any pics? i'm gonna try and get some pics of the beater up here to show you guys, shes really pretty now what with the crumpled front right fender and smashed in turn signal. Thats another thing i have to replace soon to, i was thinking of ordered the fender light and splashguard from one of these online body parts dealers, but was worried about completely screwing up the installation of it. anyhow, hit me up with some info on the shifter and the intake at thelyonhart@thelyonhart.com and we'll talk man, i'll catch you later, thanks!
                    R.I.P.
                    Pro-Pro
                    1998 - 2005

Comment

Glad you're honest. I always find myself running back to the computer to ask questions because I'm afraid of not knowing what to do. I always end up figuring everything out myself, it just makes it a lot more re-assuring to talk to somebody about it. If you go to the junkyard you will have a neat time I think, it's cool seeing all the different cars, and you can get a good feel of how everything goes together. The most needed tools on the Protege are just screwdrivers, and metric 6-point sockets. (10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, and 19mm)

Comment

i suppose i'll have to locate a junk yard around me, it'll be tough cause i live in a semi urban area, but maybe out in the suburbs theres a place. metric six point sockets , ay? see this all isnt helped by the fact that my parents are hippies, who never had a need for any type of tool or socket or anything like that, but i suppose i shall invest in a set for myself and start building my tool collection from the bottom up. Thanks for all the support tho, guys, you're officially better people than I used to be on the computer forums, but we computer guys were always just flaming to compensate for any actual balls in real life.
                        R.I.P.
                        Pro-Pro
                        1998 - 2005

Comment

Yeah, the forum is really a great thing. If it weren't for club protege I wouldn't be doing any actual modding, and if I was I'd be paying too much for parts that weren't any good! But even if you aren't doing any big mods (as you said) people here can point you in the best direction for whatever part you need, advice, etc etc. . . Good luck with your car!

Comment

for the oil pan vibration at 2500 rpm..
                            it actualy may be a heatshield for your exhaust...

because of this board, lots of people felt more comfortable doing riskier things, which ended up opening up different modification paths for everyone

Comment

yeah, it probably is the heat shield, I had that problem, my mechanic just bent it and it went away.

Comment

Working...
                              X