Trunk Battery Install Ventilation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk Battery Install Ventilation?

i picked some wires so i can run the battery in the trunk, but i was at the battery place and the guy was tellin about how i will have to build some sort of ventilation for my trunk so that the fumes dont knock me out. but he also said that some batteries dont give of ffumes for instance the fuel celled batteries dont, and some other regular car batteries dont give off fumes. i know that the celled batteries supposedly dotn give off fumes, but are ther any others that dont? I got a interstate battery now....

anyone trunk mounted a hydrogen battery and vented properly yet???

Comment

This is what i used in my camaro.
      sealed battery box

93' 5spd DX
      R.I.P

Comment

ahhhh thanx alot.....Im gonna shop around for some thats kinda steep!

Comment

that definately is a nice solution, but isn't the trunk of every first gen equipped with trunk vents on either side behind the rear fenderwells? this is what i remember on my car.. and moreso, the 'gasket' was somewhat removeable to allow constant airflow into the trunk.. only downfall was my windows fogged up real easily in the car after they were sealed off.. venting them permenantly may cause rust problems in the trunk, but lord knows
          peace

Comment

Originally posted by jitb37
            ahhhh thanx alot.....Im gonna shop around for some thats kinda steep!
            i know, i bought mine used from a guy who wrecked his 70 chevelle dragster.

93' 5spd DX
            R.I.P

Comment

Ya, when batteries charge, they give off hydrogen gas, which we all know is explosive. Those battery boxes are your only option, unless you get a sealed battery(Optima). I'm lucky, my brother works at Interstate Batteries, so I got a good deal on mine. But it's a great battery, and all you'll need is a battery tie down. I got one for $2.50 here. Just fork over the cash and get a red-top.

Comment

eh.....ill get a cell baattery from the battery place around town.

Comment

yeah cell battery is the best way to go not much more then the damn battery sealing box....

Comment

Any tips on running the cables to the back? is ther a writeup somewhere? Im always up to learn...

Comment

correct me if i'm wrong, but optimas are just sealed lead acid batteries.. ie simply non-spillable. nothing was ever mentioned to me about them being dry cell batteries *shrugs* even so, optima themselves says the battery will give off hydrogen gas if overcharged.. which makes me wonder what their parameters are for that.. as your voltage fluctuates constantly..even at idle. i wouldn't chince out on it without doing the research first, but i wouldn't say sealing it off in an old coleman cooler wouldn't work :p: . as far as running the wires, all you would need to do is ground the negative wires in the front of the car to the chasis and the same in the trunk, i would just suggest cleaning your grounding points VERY well.. making sure the contact surface is free of paint, dirt, and oil. aside from this, the positive wire can simply be routed through the firewall on the passenger's side (grommet going into passenger cabin right behind the glove box.. not hard to find at all.
                      peace

Comment

Working...
                      X