Rust removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust removal

hey, i have some surface rust building up around my wheel wells and a few other places on the car.., im going to prolly buy a orbit sander ( i think thats waht i use right?? ) and try 2 remove the rust my self., does anyone know the grit that i should use.. ??

It depends on how bad the rust is, you might need a grinder, or just some 220 grit wet/dry paper....if it is just "surface" rust then buy some coarse grit paper and try to sand it off. Make sure you chemically nuetralize the rust too, just because you can't see it doesn't mean that it isn't there. Make sure that you paint it pretty soon afterwards also, just using primer will not protect the metal from rusting. Water CAN still go through primer, although it will take a while. It would be okay to leave it primered for say a couple weeks untill you paint it, but I wouldn't risk it especailly if you live in wet climate.

Comment

yeah my '90 is rustin too... a lil in the wheel wells, but mostly along the runners and door bottoms behind my front tires... I'm not sure how deep it really is though... I don't think it's only surface. If it isn't only on the surface, is there much I can do for it? Cause I would like this car to last a while before it becomes a rust heap.

peace
      Driven by my soul
      ~~~~~~~~~~~
      Streetlights streaking through my sight
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Life is Protege
      ~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hey guys here's a pretty good write up on removeing rust, granted it is on an accord the same basic rules apply....cb7tuner

Comment

Working...
        X