Fog Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fog Lights

I was wondering, with my 03 P5, the only time my fog lights can be on are when my headlights are one, whats the best way to by pass that so the switch can just turn them on or off regardless if the headlights are on?
    Attached Files

I dont know how to do it, but its a 5 min fix, There is a wire you piggyback right near the Fuse pannel on the left side of the dash when the door is open. Derrick with the MP3 That used to post knew how to do it. he did it for all the guys in the DC Area. So im sure somone knows. Check out the Protege5.com board. If i find out ill let you know
    Maroon 1995 Probe SE
    Beige 1994 Protege DX
    Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

i own an altima so i dunno if this does it but....i have parkin/corner lights that go on first...i have my fogs power off the corner light so that when the corners are on, the fogs go on too...and when high beams are on...so are the fogs *some cars dont allow high beams+fog combination* if u can figure out which wires are which you can basically find whatever *reasonable wattage* to power it off of....and add a switch in the middle...like i said..i have an altima sorry

the DA

Comment

Take a look at the wiring diagram about halfway down the page. If you do it according to the setup on the left, you can turn them on and off independently.

Comment

jnorion, thanks for the help, i saw that yesterday and now i founnd out it will work, once i trty it.

Comment

I've got specific instructions for ya':

First, this mod allows the fogs to go on with the parking lights or headlights. In stock form, the fogs can ONLY be turned on when the headlights are on. This lets you operate the fogs with the parking lights OR headlights.

The other thing is that this mod keeps the fogs LEGAL. Foglights are supposed to shut off when you use high beams. The law states that you can only use TWO pair of driving lights at one time - and using high beams automatically counts as two (even if it's just one hi/lo bulb). So the fogs are designed to shut off when the high beams are on - and this mod keeps that function intact.

That said:

First, pull off the side of the dash to expose the wiring and foglight switch:

The purplish connector is to the foglight switch - pull that out:

If you look closely, you will see a green wire that is "tapped" into the green/black wire, with the connection wrapped in tape. The green/black wire is the stock wire, and the solid green is my own wire. You'll need a piece of wire about a foot long for this mod. Go ahead and tap it in like you see in the pic.

Now here is the area under the dash you'll be working on next:

You'll need to cut the red wire, and basically "replace" it with the new wire. The red circle shows the connection made, and the blue circle is the cut end of the red wire.

I've got a closer pic for you:

And that's all there is to it. 5 minute mod, and it works flawlessly.

~HH

Comment

thanks so much, but one question with the near ending, what do i do with the cut red wire. Do i tape it into anything or do i just tape it off so it will not ground out. Thats the only thing i have to ask.

Comment

Yeah - just tape it off.

~HH

Comment

hey man thanks for all the help. now maybe you can help me with another mod i want to change. Im from ontario canada, im not sure if its law where your from but here, we have to have our lights on all the time, so once that hand brake comes down our "day time runing lights" come on, would you know how i could maybe cut that i can run just my fogs?? hope that make sense.

Comment

This might help you - though I don't think the pics are working anymore:

~HH

Comment

thanks, tho the pics are not there im going to have to take a good look at it and see if im up for the challenge. Thanks again for the the first mod. ill let you know after this weekend how it goes.

Comment

Thanks man
                        01 ES, jokingly referred to as the Slotege.

Get off my headlight dim biatch. I like it that way. Soon, I'll have enough stuff to make the car shut down because I'll be drawing too much power. Then I'll be happy.

Comment

Working...
                        X