• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a 2inch exhaust

I got a 2inch exhaust custon make should I put in one or two resonators

1.8 or 1.5?

Comment

To get the best flow i'd advise to get matching piping width as well, an extra 100$ max. You should have at least gone 2.25 cat back. As far as resonators, i would go with none. its not going to be super loud regardless.
      Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
      FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
      Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

What kind of muffler are you going to use? Also, is your car manual or auto. Canister type mufflers are loud as hell with automatic trannies, even if you have one resonator in there, it will not help. I used to have a Ractive canister type axle-back. It resonated like crazy even with the stock resonator in place. But if you have a stick, then do not worry about it. It should not be as annoying as the automatic tranny.
        "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
          What kind of muffler are you going to use? Also, is your car manual or auto. Canister type mufflers are loud as hell with automatic trannies, even if you have one resonator in there, it will not help. I used to have a Ractive canister type axle-back. It resonated like crazy even with the stock resonator in place. But if you have a stick, then do not worry about it. It should not be as annoying as the automatic tranny.

well put turbo. =)
          Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
          FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
          Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

I have the 1.5L engine 1-1/1 inch header 4-2-1 ,Apex muffler and its automatic(not for long)

Comment

From what I've heard the 1.5 isn't loud, so as long as you dont have a trash can muffler. . . why worry about it?

Comment

I ask this question because I have one resonator and custom 2 inch exhaust, but when my car had it stock exhaust system I had better acceleration and top speed. Maybe I need more backpressure?????????

Comment

backpressure is not good. There have been in-depth exhaust theory discussions, although you shouldn't be losing anything, especially top speed. Is everything done correctly?

Comment

I have the Generation II Arospeed 4" straight tip canister muffler
                    and it sounds great with my 1.5 auto. it also has the resonator still
                    on too. Not too loud but still noticeable.

just installed today. i'm very happy with it. i heard that it still
                    has to break in so it might get louder.
                    Mike A.

Comment

Yeah, personally I'm not a fan of cars that are really loud in all rpm ranges (even ferraris aren't that loud in normal driving. If its loud at WOT, that's one thing, but if you're just pulling away from a light. . . it's just annoying. Hopefully I'm going to be doing a full exhaust later this summer (2" stainless mandrel-bent custom, hi flow cat, and magnaflow(?) muffler). I don't want loud, I just want it to sound good. . . just my .02 Good luck with your exhaust!

Comment

When I had my stock exhaust I maked about 180km/h easy now 170km/h if lucky. A mechanic told me to put on a other resonator.

Comment

Originally posted by mig360m
                          When I had my stock exhaust I maked about 180km/h easy now 170km/h if lucky. A mechanic told me to put on a other resonator.
                          I bet you do not need a resonator. Whom ever made your 4-2-1 header, probably does not have education associated with making one. Ideally, better flowing exhaust should give you more top speed, not to take it away. The flow in the headers probably is not right, and that is why I think you lost some top speed. If you want to get some of the top speed back, get cold air intake. It really helps your car breathe at high rpms. My car could barely push 100mph (160 kmh), and after I could push to 110 mph ( about 180 kmh).
                          "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

mine will hit 135 bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by Project323
                              To get the best flow i'd advise to get matching piping width as well, an extra 100$ max. You should have at least gone 2.25 cat back. As far as resonators, i would go with none. its not going to be super loud regardless.

2.25" is too big IMO. 2" is still slightly too big unless you've done some work on the motor.
                              "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                              -93 MR2, 129 ES
                              ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                              Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Working...
                              X