Need your suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need your suggestions

I am just went driving around different shops for quotes on my car. I need to replace my serpentine belts, adjust rear brakes, and while they are at it, rotate my tires. I went to two local shops which quoted me $175, and I thought, what the hell, might as well see what local Mazda dealer would say. Surprisingly, the same price. I would want the dealer to do it anyways, because their belts are better than knock-offs used else where. But what do you think. Should I use dealer's service or a local shop's?
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Since the price is the same, go to the dealer. As you say, the OEM belts are the best choice in terms of quality.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

That sounds like a$$ load of money to me. Adjusting the rear brakes and rotating the tires should take in the neighborhood of 20 minutes. So even if they took another 40 minutes to swap the belts that's only an hour's worth of labor. Figuring $75-100 an hour for labor that has them charging you $75-100 for the belts. If you really can't do this yourself (my first recommendation) then I would look around some more and bring the belts with you - eliminate the parts markup and just pay for the labor.

As for where to go - this is the simplest of tasks - I certainly wouldn't pay a premium at a dealership for it, but if (after you provide the belts) they are truely the same price then I guess it would be beneficial to go to the dealership.
      '98 ES - For Sale!

Comment

Working...
      X