Turbo or NA???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo or NA???????

I have a 97 protege dx, that means no power locks, doors, windows etc. So far i have done some mods to it including, clear corners, custom intake, axle back exhaust, front strut bar, rims and intrax springs.

I am commin to a point where i want to do more to the pro. I have a steady job but since im in school it's only part time. $500-550 a month. It's not much but its something. I talked to Kevin at essential speed, he has headers for the 1.5L for around $600 with shipping, and a turbo kit comming soon, i think kdawgone is getting that turbo kit installed too.

I need your opinion, should i go with the headers which also come with a hi flow cat, and midpipe. Or save up fpr the turbo kit?? The only thing with the turbo kit is I dont want to blow my engine in a week. Take into consideration my budget ($300 saved up). I dont want to be 20 before i finally have enough money to put the turbo in. Also how much will it cost to install a turbo kit?????
    Or shoud i give up on the pro and save up for a new car. My pro has 40,000 miles on it.
    TAKE A LOOK AT THE PRO !!!!

Save your money for another car or do a swap. There are bunch of guys doing swaps right now, so you have plenty of helpful ideas here. However, since you are in school, you will need much time devoted to this, if doing yourself. Having some else do it can be very costly.

Headers with the rest of high-flow exhaust will give you some power. Turbo should give good power, but 1.5 engine is not very strong, and many have doubted if the internals will hold up to extra pressure. I really want to see if anyone will put ES turbo on their 1.5. I think they have a donor on this website, somewhere, but I know its not Kris (kdawg). He has 1.8 engine.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

yeah I remeber you from cardomain..
      If you want to get a turbo kit for you 1.5L, I know someone in Arizona that can build you one.
      what it would entail is a custom manifold
      turbo of your choice -- you can choose to get one from a junkyard or so (keep price down).
      If your serious let me know.
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I am the donor for the 1.5L at essential.. the car is there right now.. I'm not sure when it will be finished, but i'll let you know all the details, and i'm sure kevin will have lots to say after he's finished it... I'm not worried about my engine blowing up, cause its a secondary car anyway.. i just wanted to turbo 1.5....
        98 Protege SE
        -------------------
        1.5L Turbo

Comment

yeah, I saw the manifold that essential offers.
          I was not that impressed. They want an awful lot of money for a log manifold.
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Hm, so far there's something to think about for the owner of a car powered by Z5 . Turbo, 1.8 Bp ....
            What's about installing those bpt ones from corcsport ? I consider it might be same price or even cheaper then getting bp and then turboing it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
            98 protege LX for appearance
            89 626 GT for performance

Comment

Originally posted by 97ProtegeDX
              . My pro has 40,000 miles on it.
              Mine has 180k and it's still running strong, although i try to take good care of her...

"Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die" -Thomas Callaway

Comment

Thanks guys for all of your responses, i guess ill wait a while, save up some cash, and see how Clappys protege turns out after essentialspeed is done with it. From there it will be easier to make a decission.

Any other inputs are appreciated. Thanks
                Marko

Comment

Originally posted by russian
                  What's about installing those bpt ones from corcsport ? I consider it might be same price or even cheaper then getting bp and then turboing it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                  You are.
                  Its quite difficult. A fairly large outlay of cash. You can install a BP, then save your money, and get the ES turbo kit.
                  Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                  BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                  Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Working...
                  X