Welding??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding??

Ok, I want to start welding and **** for my car and custom things. What is the difference between ARC, TIG, MIG, and WIRE. And what would be a good point for me to start at? Thanks alot!
    Eat ****.

you can get an hobby wleder ment for small thing but you can only go up to a certain thickness of steel befor its useless

go for a wire fed mig welder

they are the easyist and most universal to use, if your looking to wled stainless steel you will need a plasma welder, they are ****ing expensive

like i said wire fed mig
    they fed wire to the tip by accetilen gas and that way you just move it, when you arc weld you use stick of weld it is very hard to learn on that cuz u usally get the rod stuck to the metal

good luck
    No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

sweet, thanks for the info. I used to weld when I was a small kid with my step-dad, it was the one with the stick. So im assuming it was an arc welder because I used to always get the rod stuck to the metal.

So would a wire fed MIG welder work for like exhausts, and small things like that? Maybe a roll cage? Thanks
      Eat ****.

Comment

I hate to tell you, but wire welding is not the easiest. For someone that has never welded, stick(ARC) is the best to start out on. I am a welder and I do stick, MIG, & TIG. For me TIG is the best way to go. Wire feed (MIG), is hard for people that do not weld much, but then there are people that can just weld with no pratice.
        MODS:
        I/E/SS/

"It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil."

Comment

also with the ARC welding, can you do exhausts and such? And isnt the ARC better if you are going to be upside down or sideways?? Thanks
          Eat ****.

Comment

ARC just needs an electrical current from the ground to the rod. So you can do pretty much anything. A good ARC welder is expensive to buy as well, although you can buy cheap crappy ones at a hardware store.

I don't know about the upside down and sideways though. I've only welded oilfield pipe. And I only have experience with ARC and plasma.
            2002 Silver ES 5-Speed
            1983 F-150 351W

Comment

You can weld 6G with ARC welding (known as stick welding). That means you can weld normal, 45 degree, upside down, push, pull, and over hand. Now when you get into push pull, or upside down. You have to have a rod that will allow that. There are different types of rod that will not allow but one or two styles of welding. So, somtimes you have to change the rod durring the welding proccess. Now this is why I like the TIG welding. You can weld all the above angles. Plus the weld looks much better. TIG takes lots of practice. I have been to school for all of the types of welding execpt plasma welding.
              MODS:
              I/E/SS/

"It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil."

Comment

yea, I think im gonna take some classes and learn to weld before I go out and buy a bunch of welders and ****. I did find some decent MIG welders, by Lincoln, for like $200, they are only 110 volt which I think would work for me. I found an ARC welder for $300 also, by lincoln, which do you think i should buy?
                Eat ****.

Comment

The ARC. Buy the ARC. Although I wouldn't expect too much from a 110V powered unit either way.
                  2002 Silver ES 5-Speed
                  1983 F-150 351W

Comment

the 110 volt will weld things ok. You need something that uses 220 volt. Something like you clothes dryer and such uses 220. Which to buy is up to you, depends on how much welding you plan to do do, and what you plan to weld. Just remember you also have to buy the wire spool or the sticks.
                    MODS:
                    I/E/SS/

Comment

what about these welders here
                      they are available at sears.. I have been thinking of getting into welding also myself and I have seen these 2 available at sears.
                      Here is the Arc Welder

this mig welder is a bit more expensive ..
                      this is the MIG welder

intentions.
                      to weld car metal , like around strut towers and also muffler pipping..
                      Bruce
                      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

If I was going to buy something that will do a good job and a good machine to learn on this is what I would buy.

Its made by Miller welding. This is the company we use at work.
                        MODS:
                        I/E/SS/

Comment

that's sweet but at a 1000 dollars ...
                          It's way out my price range.

it's the miller R150
                          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Yeah, thats the problem, price. Most of the time if you go to a welding supply place, you can pick up a good used welder for cheep, plus they will set it up to weld and let you mess around with it.
                            MODS:
                            I/E/SS/

Comment

Lincoln electric is good quality ****.
                              I've also been thinknig of getting one but really don't have much use for it at this time. In the future though, it will be part of my garage equipment.
                              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Working...
                              X