squeak except when braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

squeak except when braking

A couple days ago, I noticed a squeak coming from my car. It doesn't happen at first -- not until I have driven for about 15 or 20 minutes. Once it starts, it doesn't stop until I have stopped the car.

At low speeds, it is a chirp-chirp-chirp, but over about 15mph, it's a fairly constant squeak. I can't tell where it's coming from, but it seems related to wheel speed, not engine speed.

It goes away when I apply the brakes and sometimes when I turn sharply in either direction. It is acting like some kind of debris between the pad and rotor that only gets hit when things have warmed up. I don't see anything when I inspect the brakes, but I haven't taken the wheels off, so I haven't seen them up-close.

Anybody got a guess?

This is a 2002 Protege 5 with 47,000 miles. I still have the factory brake pads and rotors. I'm planning to replace them soon, so perhaps that will cure the problem or at least allow me to identify it by inspecting more closely.
    '02 Black Protege5
    '93 Gray Protege DX

Sounds to me like the brake pads are worn down to the indicator. The pads have a little piece of metal that will contact the brake rotor to let you know that your pads are almost toasted. 47,000 sounds like you got plenty of miles out of your OEM ones.

Comment

but its when he is not breaking

2000 White Protege LX
      Sumitomo 195/60HR14
      2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
      Kenwood KDC-MP522 Head Unit
      Kenwood KAC-7251 (800 W) Amp
      Audiobahn AWC10T x 2 Subs
      Kenwood Music Keg
      Black Widow Keyless Entry
      Intake- Custom SRI
      Clear Corner Lights
      APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

yea you need new brake pads. I'm in the same EXACT situation. I only hear the noise when I'm driving but when I break the sound goes away. Once I took it to a service station, they told me my break pads where finished.

MP3 Strut Bar..Silver Stars..GoldLine Springs..Two 10 Inch Speakers..480 Watt Amp..Custom Voltage Meter..Ingen CAI..Bomz Axle Back Exhaust..Konigs Holes 17x7

Comment

Time for pads. Most likely fronts, but change them all if you have the time & inclination - it's not expensive, and an EASY diy.

And Brad - the indicators are almost always DESIGNED to squeak ONLY when NOT braking - makes it easier to distinguish it from other, more "normal" brake squeaks (like from excessive brake dust, etc.)

~HH

Comment

Ok, I have the same kind of problem!! It is driving me crazy. I just replace my back break pads last month and the front last summer so it has nothing to do with the breaks!! With me though, It doesn't happen every day. It starts up mostly when I'm on the high way but there have been times when I havent been on the highway and it will start up. It stops when you touch the breaks. It's a loud obnoxios squeak!! The slower the tires turn the slower the squeak is. When going on the highway its just a constant loud sqeal! It's maddening! I called Mazda and they said they can't do anything unless they hear the noise. I can't control when the noise appears so they are no help! I'm probably gonna be called in to get my 48,000km check up within the next few months. Don't know if i wanna wait that long though. Alot of people are guessing it might be a bearing. Have no clue. Very frustrating!!
            AEM sri

Comment

I have the same problem with my front right wheel.
              Chirp-chirp-chirp while driving, frequency increases with wheel speed and as soon as I TOUCH the brake pedal the sound disappears. Someone suggested it may be a wheel bearing. I don't know... I haven't had the time to investigate the problem.

Comment

You'd be proud of me Man i read before i said i had the same problem...thanks for your info!!!
                Originally posted by TheMAN
                -caliper maybe seized, causing the pad to partially contact the rotor
                -brake pad guide shims (where the pad slides back and forth on the bracket) maybe contacting the rotor
                -rotor maybe warped, causing the brake pad to touch the rotor momentarily
                -crap between the rotor and the pad
                "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

I'm going in Monday to get it fixed. It's starting to squeak everyday almost everytime I take it out!!!!! I found this site Protege TSB's . If you go to 3rd Gens section it's number MT000003995- Rear Brake Noise/Drag, Pads Seized In Caliper. That's what Mazda is saying anyways. I just did the back brakes so when I go in I'll see whats up and post what happend.
                  AEM sri

Comment

I went and they checked the brakes and they are fine. I made them take it for a test drive till it started squeaking and they said it was a wheel bearing. They replaced the front drivers side bearing.....hahahahaha. Idiots. I went on my merry way thinking it was fixed. Well today I was driving to go pick up my boyfriend and low and behold..............The f***ing squeak!!!!!!!!!!!! For one, the noise was comming from the friggen back of the car and it sounds like its comming from the passengers side?! I am going back tomorrow and they better get it right! They said it was a defective wheel bearing. Sooooo what, are all of my wheel bearings defective then cause they are still screaming!!! Sorry, I've just had it with this god aweful noise!!! I didn't pay for anything since it's still under warranty for a year and a half. I only have 46,600kms.
                    AEM sri

Comment

Well I went and they figured it out. It is the shim kit for the brake pads. What sucks is that when I got the back brakes done I got a friend who is a mechainic to do them for free. So now Mazda is saying since I didn't get the brakes done through Mazda that I have to pay for the parts and the labour. Crappy. It's only like 30$ for the kit but I'm gonna get my friend to put them on. Screw Mazda....lol. So It is the back brakes and not the wheel bearings, although I did have a bad bearing which they caught, so it wasn't an all bad experience......Now I have to wait for the parts which is probably gonna take almost two weeks!!!!!! Hafta put up with the god aweful noise till then. Unfortunately.
                      AEM sri

Comment

Search Search Search........and you will find...................
                        Last edited by "mazdachic"; 06-24-2004, 09:04 PM.
                        "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

Working...
                        X