Brake Light? :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Light? :(

Having a slight issue with my e-brake light. It's not always on, but when coming to a halt, it comes on. Sometimes it stays on for a while, sometimes it disappears when I resume acceleration. Any input? Oh, and of course the e-brake isn't up or on.

At 1st I was thinking, "Brake fluid" but last I checked, it wasn't drastically low.
    '01 Protege DX. Stock.

Try topping off the brake fluid anyway to the "Max" mark. How worn are your brakes?
    -Kevin
    -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
    -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
    -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
    -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
    -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

Well, I bought the car used. But about 8k on it so far, haven't changed or touched the brakes.
      '01 Protege DX. Stock.

Comment

99% sure, you gotta top off the fluid level, esp. with the behavior you describe at the stop light.
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Wow, thanks a bunch for the info so far guys. I think that's the 1st thing I'll do later this afternoon.
          '01 Protege DX. Stock.

Comment

check your pads anyway..the fluid level lowers when the pads get worn since the piston is farther in....they may need to be replaced

Comment

3RD BRAKE LIGHT

I have a question about the 3rd brake light on the MP3 spoiler. I think someone has brought this up before but Im not sure. I want to replace the red LED cover for a clear one. I've heard it can be done and Mazda might have the part. Has anyone heard anything about doing this mod? Can anyone get the part # from Mazda and an idea as far as price goes?

Comment

DO NOT ADD BRAKE FLUID.

This is the WRONG thing to do.

As your brakes wear, the fluid level drops, as more fluid stays in the lines vs. the master cylinder - normal.

I know when my front brakes on my P5 were worn pretty well, the dash brake light started to come on during braking, cornering, etc. Maybe my car is a lucky one with proper calibration, but the fluid level was low enough to get the light going, only because the front brakes were worn to the point of being close to needing new pads.

Since I changed pads, the light stays off.

Adding brake fluid is NOT the way to go. First of all, the system is sealed. The fluid should not be going anywhere - it doesn't just disappear. If you had a leak, your brakes would feel mushy.

If you "top off" the fluid, when you do go to change your pads, the excess fluid will spill out of the master cylinder as you push the caliper pistons back.

If your brake fluid is low, it is low for a reason. Topping it off only covers up the symptoms of another issue. Inspect your pads, and make sure they do not need replacement.

It is also possible that the fluid sensor is a slight bit out of whack, telling you the fluid is low when it's really not yet, and your system is fine.

If the pads are in GOOD shape, the brakes feel okay, and the fluid is NOT low at ALL (even on the low side of the markings on the master IS still LOW), I'd get the car checked by a mechanic.

I didn't need a front pad change until 30,000 miles, but I'd put my money on worn pads - maybe the owner of the car before you was a "ride the brake" kinda person (or maybe you are! hehe ). It's also possible you have a sticky caliper which wears the pads very fast.

~HH

Comment

could just be that your brakes need adjustment, meaning the front brakes harder than the rears (harder than the correct setting, that is)
                  My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                  JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                  AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

steve_protege

i know what you are talking about, but i coundn't find anything of the sort for the MP3 or the normal spoiler that we can exchange.
                    I really like the idea, but unless we have to get it customized, i don't think it is commercially available

Mods :

Racing Beats Springs...Racing beat Exhast (catback)...Boston Accoustics...50% tint all over ...Piaa superwhite fog lights...blue neon under seats... mesh grill (looks good, see for your self)...6cd OEM changer...blue engine loom in engine...clear corner turn signals...Kenwood amp(600W)

My car gallery

My car in silver

CRV.... Sold....sniff, sniff

Comment

Well, the brake light cover is not going to be on the MP3 spoiler stock. I already knew that. Some one else told me that in a previous thread. I was asking if Mazda has it as a part that can be sold commercially. The new Mazda 6 has the clear 3rd brake light and I figure if its available on a spoiler for the Mazda 6, then Im sure it can be purchased to fit on a MP3 spoiler. I honestly don't see that much or no difference in the two spoilers, so I don't know why Mazda would wait and put it out on the 6 spoiler and nothing else. Im sure Mazda might have a part # for it, just someone has to ask about it. I also have to ask them about purchasing some of the black mesh that comes stock on the grilles of the MP3. I think the black would look better in contrast with an emerald green Pro then the silver/aluminum mesh available almost anywhere.

Comment

Here's a thought....

Buy the Mazda6 spoiler!

~HH

Comment

I would if I didn't have the MP3 spoiler already. I actually wanted the WW Skyline spoiler first, but at the time it was a bit pricey for me. I think they wanted almost 700.00 for it or something. So I decided to get the stock MP3 spoiler as a back up plan. Now its like everywhere I look I see a Pro with the same exact spoiler. Now I don't know whether or not I should keep this one or sell it and buy either the WW or Mazda 6 spoiler. The price of the WW spoiler has dropped down to around 350.00 now and I have yet to see a Pro around my area with it. What all should I do?

Comment

is it possible to fit a mazda 6 spoiler to a mazda protege light?

Mods :

Racing Beats Springs...Racing beat Exhast (catback)...Boston Accoustics...50% tint all over ...Piaa superwhite fog lights...blue neon under seats... mesh grill (looks good, see for your self)...6cd OEM changer...blue engine loom in engine...clear corner turn signals...Kenwood amp(600W)

My car gallery

My car in silver

CRV.... Sold....sniff, sniff

Comment

I thought the Mazda 6 and MP3 spoilers were alike, if not almost the same. I think all it takes is the light bar off the 6 spoiler and then mounting it in the same spot as where the original light bar would go on the MP3 spoiler. Am I right?

Not to get off topic, but does anyone know where to get the WW Skyline spoiler for cheap? I ask because I want to have a back up just in case I decide to sell my current spoiler.

Comment

Working...
                              X