help with polishing valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with polishing valve cover

hey guys does anyone have a "howto"for polishing my valve cover... or at least pointers

nvm guys i got it!!

Comment

lots and lots and lots of emry cloth.
      According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

so how did u do it?

Comment

Start with a coarse enough sandpaper to remove the cast marks and keep working it til you finish with a good metal polish
          98 protege lx 1.8l
          short ram intake custom
          crane hi-6 ign.
          14 miata alloy wheels
          .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

aight guys heres how i did it... ive done it twice... and we're starting a 3rd ....

1. Start off with 600 (dry) sandpaper on an electric palm/finishing sander or sanding block and sand to a smooth surface.
            2. Cut 1000, 1500 & 2000 grit (wet/dry) sandpaper into 1-2" squares and soak in a bowl of water. Bowl should be one you care little about.
            3. Sand surface with wet sandpaper using varying circular motions. Sandpaper will slowly loose its grit as time goes on. Use 1000 (1st), 1500 (2nd), and 2000 (3rd).
            4. Surface will get smoother as time goes on. Clean cover/area thoroughly each time it gets caked up.
            5. Use a polishing agent to finish surface area. I use "NeverDull", but any polish will work when used as directed.
            NOTE: One sheet of each kind of sandpaper will be more than enough. If you can remove your valve cover & reinstall it when finished it will benefit your back.

also i found tat a green scotch pad (wet) works better after the 600 (dry)... also we used a air compresser buffer along with ur polish, DAMN DID IT CUT DOWN ON TYME!! we also used an electric sander, and a MOUSE*

Comment

sander to git into the tight spots in all it took us about a half ah-day..... and if u have an air compressor buffer!! damn!!! tat will cut down on tha tyme!!!

also... we found tat the second tyme se did it... dry all tat **** off (cuz it gits caked!!) we then used steel wool... then we used the air compressed buffer... and damn did it turn out sweet!! then ur done!!!

Comment

Working...
              X