what tire size should I go for??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what tire size should I go for??

at the minute, I have 185/60/14 on my Pro LX.... I was thinking of upgrading to 16's. but from what i see from http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html is that 215/40/16 would be better than 205/40/16...but all the other websites direct me to looking at 205/40/16.

which one would be better??

help me out guys!!

thanks

As you say, tirecalc lists 215/40-16 as yielding .1% speedo error and 205/40-16 with a 1.2% error. However, since the latter error gives a speedo reading of 60 MPH with an actual road speed of 59.3, the difference is slight and shouldn't be noticeable in any kind of driving. Therefore, I would think the 205/40 size would be fine if that's your preference.

When I switched from OEM to a 205/45-16 wheel/tire combo, the result was an .8% speedo error (speedo-60, actual 59.5). I was never aware of the error while driving as the difference is just too small to be noticeable.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

so its better to go with a 205/40/16, rite??

Comment

The 215's are wider, would probably give you better traction. What he's saying is that the speedometer difference is negligible.

Comment

oh ok... my badd... i know for a fact, that everyone is going with the 205/40...but i was wondering if the 215 would run along the wheel-walls and cause issues or what?

Comment

Nobody has complained of rubbing. As long as the width is approved for the tire you should be fine. 215's are ok for 6" to 8" wide wheels if memory serves. There are people running 17's on their cars without any rubbing issues. Personally, I'd get the widest I could get away with (within reason). Why the 40 series? The 45 series will probably get you as close to OEM diameter as possible, only +0.4 mph @ 60 compared to OEM. . . would give you a little bit better ride quality and protect the rims.

Comment

I run 205 40 16's on my first gen. I haven't rubbed yet and I've had my coil overs turned down to where my tires were tucked in the wheel wells. Your wheel offset will be more of a factor with this size of tire.

Comment

Originally posted by mino3
                I run 205 40 16's on my first gen. I haven't rubbed yet and I've had my coil overs turned down to where my tires were tucked in the wheel wells. Your wheel offset will be more of a factor with this size of tire.
                Im thinking of going with a +40mm offset.. i think thats gonna be good enough....

Comment

There are people with 17's and don't know the first thing about offsets, don't worry about it.

Comment

I am a firm believer that if you have 16 inch rims on your protege, you should stick with 205/45 16 or get 215/40/16 tires.

Remeber to research your choice of tires, some have softer sidewalls that give you that squishy (khumo) fealing.

I hear some 1st gen guys complaining about rubbing when droped, but I never had an issue with my protege on the 16's.
                    Bruce
                    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                    X