Transmission I.D.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission I.D.

How can I tell what series/model transmission I have?? I'd assume there is a mark or casting on the case somewhere??
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

look under the distributor, there should be a sticker(paper) with the tranny disignation. I messed mine up though .. I am interested to know if the 97 1.8's really came with a F tranny , I am starting to thing they had G's also ..
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
      look under the distributor, there should be a sticker(paper) with the tranny disignation. I messed mine up though .. I am interested to know if the 97 1.8's really came with a F tranny , I am starting to thing they had G's also ..
      I had a talk with Kdawg a few weeks ago when we met up for a coffee, apparently his is the G series tranny, which is why I was wondering about mine. We've both got the 97 lx with 1.8l but his is the regular LX and mines the "touring Edition".
      I think its a Canadian thing.
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

I can tell you how to tell..
        whatever 60 or 65 mph is in kmh
        do that in 5th gear .. if you are at lke 2500 it's the F
        if you are at like 3000 it's the G ...
        Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Hmm, 62MPH is 100KMH, and I'm pretty sure that its revving at 3000.
          Just to be sure, what does this tag below the distributor say?? Does it have something like
          Trans: G5MR for example, or does it just say "G"?
          I'm really interested in this now, I really hope I can remember to check this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
            Hmm, 62MPH is 100KMH, and I'm pretty sure that its revving at 3000.
            Just to be sure, what does this tag below the distributor say?? Does it have something like
            Trans: G5MR for example, or does it just say "G"?
            I'm really interested in this now, I really hope I can remember to check this weekend.
            I honestly don't remeber what the tag would say , I know mine had the tag but then I cleaned the engine one day and rubed the damn thing off... I forgot what it said and everything ... ohh boy

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I was just out for a drive. Yeah it was reving at 3000 @ 100KMH (62 mph)

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                I was just out for a drive. Yeah it was reving at 3000 @ 100KMH (62 mph)
                then you have the G tranny ... supposing you were in 5th gear

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Finally remembered this weekend to look. THere was a tag on the bell housing that Had a bunch of "f"s on it along with some other numbers and letters before and after them.
                  So I'd assume from this that its actually the F tranny

Comment

So can anyone confirm this??
                    Or give me a clue or something??
                    I took a couple pics of the tag but they all came out ****ty.
                    Last edited by midnightblue97; 10-07-2003, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I got a guy that works at Mazda as a tech ..
                      but I can't get in contact with him ...
                      I need some info on the BP's wireing system also ..

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                        I got a guy that works at Mazda as a tech ..
                        but I can't get in contact with him ...
                        I need some info on the BP's wireing system also ..
                        Thank you Bruce, let me know what you hear.
                        I might try and figure it out by making a note of the speed and RPM and then using the tire diameter etc. If I can figure out the gear ratios then I could match them up in the FAQ but thats a ****load of math that I'm not really good at.
                        I suppose I'd need the differential ratio too. Wonder how I could figure that out.

Comment

Yup, the 1.8l cdn lx has whatever the 1.5l has for a tranny...closer gearing!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                          1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                          Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                            on my G tranny, there's a big "G" stamping right next to where the clutch slave cylinder is
                            Thank you edwin.

Kdawg.
                            I'm one of those stubborn people that actually has to see it for myself.

Comment

To elaborate...

Last year I replaced my clutch with a unit from Clutchmasters. When my kit arrived, I showed it to my buddy who is a Mazda mechanic (and a Protege enthusist as well) and right away he said, "Thats a clutch for the *insert letter here* series tranny which is on the 1.5L."
                              ****. So I called CM and they double-check their numbers and assured me that it was the right clutch kit for my car.
                              "Oh well, guess we'll find out when we install it. Ive changed 2gen clutches before, but, ok, whatever..." says my buddy.
                              Well, we changed my clucth successfully and guess what? In my 1.8l LX (CDN) non-touring edition have the same tranny as the 1.5L!!!
                              Hurray for closer gearing!!!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                              1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                              Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Working...
                              X