Anyway to set a wastegate @ lower PSI??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway to set a wastegate @ lower PSI??

I was wondering if there was anyway to set an internally wastegated turbo for less PSI then the wastegate is set at? Maybe modify the spring or something?

Originally posted by Tweeaks
    I was wondering if there was anyway to set an internally wastegated turbo for less PSI then the wastegate is set at? Maybe modify the spring or something?
    Some wastegates have an adjustment nut. If you dont have that. you could look into getting a wastegate that would fit your turbo but was made for a diffrent application. If not that then maybe, just maybe you could make the bar longer and that would open it up at lower boost i think.
    sigpic

Comment

what if i use an external wastegate that can be ajusted....what then do I do with the wastegat on the turbo? just leave it on there and dont hook a vacum line up to it? I'm only looking to run about 4-5 PSI for now maybe less. I only want to be a little bit faster until I can spend the money on full engine management.

I dont know that much about how wastegates work, so how would making the rod longer make it open up at lower boost? I would think it would just delay the time that it opens up...but like I said I dont know much about how they work..

Comment

Originally posted by Tweeaks
        what if i use an external wastegate that can be ajusted....what then do I do with the wastegat on the turbo? just leave it on there and dont hook a vacum line up to it? I'm only looking to run about 4-5 PSI for now maybe less. I only want to be a little bit faster until I can spend the money on full engine management.

I dont know that much about how wastegates work, so how would making the rod longer make it open up at lower boost? I would think it would just delay the time that it opens up...but like I said I dont know much about how they work..
        Well if you could find an adjustable waste gate..you take your old one off and put the new adjustable one in its place.... Wastegates work like this. The little metal bell type thing is spring loaded and pulls on the rod at all times which keeps the wastegate closed. Then once the turbo starts pushing boost the little hose going to the wastegate from the turbo will send boost inside the bell. Once the boost gets high enough(usually around 8psi) it starts to push on the spring which then pushes on the rod which flings open the wastegate. Once the wastegate gets open the exhaust gas passes around the turbine instead of through it and lets the turbine slow down.

You may be able to leave your wastegate open at all times...because the wastegate hole is pretty small...all of your exhaust gases wouldnt be able to go through that tiny hole...so some of the exhaust would have to go through the turbine...that little bit going through the turbine might push about 4 psi....
        sigpic

Comment

As far as a wastegate, if it's a GTX/GTR turbo, I don't think the wastegates can be adjusted. With an external, the vaccum lines go to the external and the internal is removed along with the "flapper" inside the manifold getting welded shut.
          1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
          MODS:
          GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
          TO DO LIST:
          EDM/JDM rear bumper
          EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
          Repaint car

Comment

If you use an external, you will have to weld the flapper for your internal gate closed. Easiest thing in the world to do.

Comment

allright thanks I think I might try leaving it open all the time and see what I can come up with..

*edit

well what about making the actuator rod longer then wouldn't that leave the wastegate flapper open a little bit so it wont make as much boost some will escape through the wastegate door? What would be the best way to go about doing this?
              Last edited by Tweeaks; 05-12-2004, 10:35 AM.

Comment

i wouldn't leave the flapper partially open lol. I'm sure that isn't good for spool up
                00 dakota 4x4
                90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

If you leave the flapper open (bypassing it) it will cause the turbo to spool to as much boost as it can make. That in turn will lead to either a blown turbo or some kind of internal damage if not even a blown motor. You're best bet is, if it's a GTX/GTR turbo, stick with the stock internal and just get a boost controler to regulate it. If the turbo setup is aftermarket, get something like a Tial 35mm wastegate and go the route of welding the flapper shut and removing the actuator for the internal.
                  1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
                  MODS:
                  GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
                  TO DO LIST:
                  EDM/JDM rear bumper
                  EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
                  Repaint car

Comment

you cant lower what the wastegate is allready set at with a boost controller though.

I would have thought that leaving the flapper partially open would only allow the turbo to spoll up partially as some of the exhaust is leaving before it can get to the exhaust turbine... isnt that basically what the "adjustable" wastegates with the nuts on the actuator rods do?? Or do they work differently? Cus if not it wouldnt be hard to cut the rod a little shorter in like the middle and thread the ends and add basically a long nut between them and put it to the length that I need...

Comment

Working...
                    X