Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MTX 9500 vs JL W7

Found this an interesting read...

and here is one for MTX vs. RF in amps...

interesting find, but MTX defintely skewed the statistics to favor them.

x-max: as far as a 10 goes, yeah the MTX has it better. but they fail to tell you that their 15 has the same excursion as their 10, at only 25.5 mm, while the 13w7 is 32 mm.

x-mech: doesn't matter that much for SQ apps, and the w7 is designed for SQ. once it's out of the x-max, the amp looses control, and SQ is lost.

power: so their 10 handles 750. their 15 handles 1000, same as a 13w7. and for those of us who have been around audio a while, we know JL underrates their products. i've seen a w7 handle over 25K watts in person

smallest usable enclosure: who gives a ****?

VC diameter: once again, who gives a ****? the w7 has an extemely long VC, which enables it to have more control over the cone, creating better SQ.

cone dust cap material: who gives a ****? the speaker is optimized based on the weight of the cone, and the actual material matters little, as long as it's stiff.

surround material: who gives a ****? have you ever heard of the surround deteriorating on a w7?

aluminum shorting ring: what the **** it that? oh yeah, a marketing gimik

heat sink: good subs don't need heat sinks ever seen one on a brahma, DD, treo, idmax, etc? maybe that's the waring sign the sub can't take much abuse

installation: you should NEVER use a "standard" box, since every box should be sub specific.

msrp: yeah, MTX wins that one

Comment

rant #2
      they fail to give you all the info

actual power ratings: the RF amp is only rated at 150 watts x 2 at 2 ohm, so 309 shows that is produces MORE than it's rated power. but MTX focuses on the max power, which we all now is BS anyways

MOSFET temp at 1/3 power: who gives a **** at 1/3 power? they obviously didn't post it at full power for a reason and my old autotek amp was mosfet, and got hot as ****, enough to burn you, but it cranked out some power:p:

quality of engineering: maybe the RF amp doesn't need as big of capacitors, cause it's more efficent the internal components don't matter in a comparison, unless one is known for having problems with it and as for the smaller FET's, maybe the RF has more of them, but MTX won't tell you that

anyone who has taken a college statistics course will tell you that statistics are easily manipulated to make one side look better than the other the cold hard facts are all that matters

Comment

sometimes i wonder how stuipd these companies really are.

at this point how plastard are you blue?

edit: i guess whis is why mtx is winning all the comps now and not jl.
        good find rider69
        on the installation, mtx wins that one b/c installing a w7 is a PINA. but it looks phat when its done since the surrond goes over the mounting bolts, notice i said bolts.
        Last edited by walight01; 09-18-2003, 10:19 AM.
        '02 classic red p5
        currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Originally posted by walight01
          sometimes i wonder how stuipd these companies really are.

at this point how plastard are you blue?

edit: i guess whis is why mtx is winning all the comps now and not jl.
          good find rider69
          on the installation, mtx wins that one b/c installing a w7 is a PINA. but it looks phat when its done since the surrond goes over the mounting bolts, notice i said bolts.
          at the point when i posted i was on the coming down off of 2 pitchers actually MTX did a very good job exploiting statistics to make their products look better the average consumer won't be able to tell the truth from MTX's version of the facts it's like a poll i did for my stat class, and i'm sure many of you have heard of it before. you go around asking people to sign a petition to ban dihydrogen oxide:p: just tell them it's lethal if inhaled, it's very abundant on the earth, and the government isn't doing enough to control it and for those that still don't get it, dihydrogen oxide is h2o, water

Comment

good old chem I basics
            '02 classic red p5
            currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Yea I did that... prety freakin gay assignment...i think I ended up not doing it actually

Comment

I heard the MTX sub and it sounds like a MTX sub. It plays ok from 40-60 but if you want to drop lows with it NO. Look at the RFL where are they now I don't hear anything about RFL's any more. Even with the musical cone they still wouldn't play below 60 well, but when it did play a 60hz note that bitch hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by impact
                  I heard the MTX sub and it sounds like a MTX sub. It plays ok from 40-60 but if you want to drop lows with it NO. Look at the RFL where are they now I don't hear anything about RFL's any more. Even with the musical cone they still wouldn't play below 60 well, but when it did play a 60hz note that bitch hurt.
                  i still see RFL's in comps, but that's it. it's a one hit wonder sub and a bit overpriced for a pure SPL sub.

Comment

Working...
                  X