Headlight Baking questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Baking questions...

I just need to know what type of glue do i use when putting the headlights back together. Im gonna paint myhousing black this weekend...

Any other tips about this are welcomed....

Mt tip.....don't do it! How you gonna see if you paint over all the reflective material? Lighting is ****ty enough on the 1st gens as it is.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

screw it.. not to hack the previously mentioned, but you may regret doing it. as far as glue.. anything safe for plastics should work fine, just be sure to reseal with clear silicone caulk.
      peace

Comment

http://www.projectmazda.com/howto/headlights/
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I wont be painting over all of it, if i just paint minimal it will almost make it look like ive painted the whole thing.. But i also wondered about that also. i think the visibility of my headlights are great...

Comment

just go to the hardware store and tell em u need plastic glue......my head lights blow balls...i cant see a damn thing with them
            91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
            Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

you think the visbility of your headlights are great? umm are they glass.... No? then dont do it. from your sig, your headlights are pretty yellow. painting the reflective part black will make your headlights worthless. dont do it.

as this has been discussed before in depth, you lose enough light through the ****ty yellowed plastic housing, you will lose exponentially more with you paint the inside of the headlights.

here go try this first get a mag-lite:
              Shine it on a wall, take a picture of the beam pattern

Now go paint the inside reflective surface black.

Shine it on a wall, take a picture of the beam pattern.

i would do it but i dont feel like ****ing up a prefectly good mag-lite.
              When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
              Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
              Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
              So his engine he goosed
              With much too much boost,
              And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

I did the baking as described on Gro Harlem's page which I linked above. Came apart easily, but I need to clean the lens now.
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

First my headlights arent yellow, and i CAN see perfecectly with the stock lights. B/c the car has been wrecked, so the headlights were new. And this is the only other pic i have of my headlights but they are not yellow and are no where near yellow.

This is the pic that the headlights look yellow, thats because its in the middle of the day, and headlighjts dont shine that bright in the middle of the day.

Now i have already opened up the headlight, and blacked the inside out. And yes the visibility did go down a tad, but i can still see like a normal car. I didt just pop it open and just paint the whole thing, i painted outer pieces - than i just splattered the top and bottom, so the light can still reflect top - bottom - left - right.

HEre are the pics of the headlights now. Its midday so the the pic when the lights are on makes the light shine yellow but the silverstars shine bright at night. And the obvious mismatched hood and grill, are from the accident i got into with a deer a couple of months ago im slowly piecing the front end back together, so i can get it painted. next week i will have te fender - hood than its off to the paint shop to be repainted the same color.

Im gonna take some night pics later on tonite...

Comment

ummm here compare. i wet sanded/polished my square headlights frequently. i have since swapped to ece spec's, and there is a HUGE difference.

Last edited by Protoss; 05-18-2004, 12:47 AM.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

This discussion was about how you tellin me how i cant see out of myheadlghts. not comparing your yellow headlights, to the beatiful glass espec headlights. My headlights arent pissy yellow. And i can see just fine with my headlights still, after adjusting the alignment.

Comment

i never said you are not getting lighting through them. The acrylic used to make the usdm headlights was designed more for safty when shattered and the quality of the lens degrades under UV radiation. but we have gone over this many times before so i will quit flogging a dead horse. i am just saying that what you are planning on doing with the USDM headlights is not the best of ideas, but it is your car you do as you see fit.

and try the mag lite experiment. In headlights most of the lighting is what is reflected off the back of the houseing. that is where we get most of the beam pattern. And if you notice the tip of your headlight is coated. so that all the light is reflected to the back of the housing to be reflected out onto the road. last time i checked black was a ****ty reflecting colour.

set to oven to 150 and bake for 5 minutes, if nothing happens either put it back in for longer or turn up the heat.
                        Last edited by Protoss; 05-18-2004, 02:04 PM.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

i like the new sig brock!...if you dont mind me asking, where did you get the gauge piller?
                          91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.