Stereo-off delay circuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stereo-off delay circuit

Following the new trend on the board of not thread-jacking, I'm going to move all my questions over to this thread.

The story so far: Our hero (me), helped as always by his faithful sidekicks Intruder and Blue LEDz, has embarked on a brave new quest to keep his stereo from turning off when the car turns on. However, there's a twist: I don't want the stereo to stay on when I turn the car off, but only while the engine cranks.

I *think* I have worked the circuit out, but I'm not an expert on this stuff so I want to make sure before I go out and buy the parts. Also, I was talking things over with Intruder last night and he brought up a good point. The cap and diode Blue LEDz posted (here and here) are rated for very low amperage. Would these work, or just burn up with the power to the HU?

The diagram below is the best I could come up with. One thing I couldn't figure out though, would the cap have any effect at all if there's no diode in the circuit? I'm hoping it won't, because then if I bypass the diode there won't be a delay.

6 amp work better for you?

Comment

it's actually very simple....BUT.

Connect the HU ACC wire to a true ignition wire. These wires stay at 12v when cranking. Although by doing this, you MIGHT introduce some engine noise though, so a filter may also be needed.

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
        I think it would... Intruder was worried the 1amp one would burn out, and I had no idea what I would need. You tell me.

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
        it's actually very simple....BUT.

Connect the HU ACC wire to a true ignition wire. These wires stay at 12v when cranking. Although by doing this, you MIGHT introduce some engine noise though, so a filter may also be needed.
        So what you're saying is that all I have to do is connect it to the ignition wire, and I don't need any of the rest of this circuit at all? Or are you saying use the circuit I have but ALSO connect it to the ignition wire?

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
          So what you're saying is that all I have to do is connect it to the ignition wire, and I don't need any of the rest of this circuit at all? Or are you saying use the circuit I have but ALSO connect it to the ignition wire?
          yes, radio wire to car IGN wire. nothing else (except a noise filter if needed)

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
            yes, radio wire to car IGN wire. nothing else (except a noise filter if needed)
            Awexome!

Joel, see? I was telling you I don't know how **** works in cars.

As far as diodes go, 6amps might still not be enough. We're talking tens of amps here - whatever the HU is drawing. The diode you showed me last night had a surge current rating of 60amps, but this is SURGE not sustained. I don't know exactly what they mean by surge. Is it milliseconds or a second? I don't know.

Anyway, do as MazdaRacer says - he knows this ****!

Comment

OK, sounds good to me... easier is always better. Just out of curiosity though, did I have my circuit right to accomplish the same thing?

Comment

Working...
              X