Painting the body moulding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting the body moulding

Ok, i have that ugly black stripe along the lengths of my car and on both bumpers, My hood is black and my rims are as well, if i got rid of the black stripe my car would look much better. Now I was thinking of removing the moulding entirely, then having it all sanded, filled and smoothed and repainted. Then it would look really clean and smooth, but my price quote on that was like $2300 which I dont have at the moment. So I want to paint it or something for the time being, anyone have some suggestions on paint, technique, etc. Or shoould i just get some color matching paint and paint it??? Thanks
    Eat ****.

match the paint of the body i seen it on a silver pro and it looked bad ass better then if he were to remove it
    i is dumb

Comment

so far, i am the only person (as far as i know of through the clubs) that has taken on bodyside trim molding painting. what i can tell you, without removing the trim, and just taping the molding off, i got good coverage, and it didn't run me more than 45 for paint and supplies. for best results, do this in a garage or a place where direct sunlight, dust, rain and wind aren't a factor. if you want to leave the moldings on, tape it off with painters masking tape and cover off your tires and most of your door if possible. then hand sand your moldings down with (and bear in mind, the actual grits don't matter, as long as you have a rough sanding, middle sanding and a fine sanding) 80 grit sand paper, then use a spray can based body filler & primer... it's a combination for painting prep, available at any autozone or pepboys. then hand sand it down after it fully dries to a fine finish, recommend at least 1000 grit or higher sand paper. then you can find a color match through plastikote's color matching guide, most likely in the same isle of the pepboys or autozone you're gonna buy the paint from. the cans run up to 5 a pop and contain 6 oz i believe of paint. figure on 9 light coats of paint. then, you're going to want to clear coat that bitch with a can of clear coating, at least 4 or 5 coats for the best result. i can't remember how many cans i went through on my entire painting project, and with a white car, no matter how i did it, the paint got dirty, however, with a darker color, you'll have much better results. all in all, between painting coats, your door side moldings should take 1 1/2 hours of prep, and 3 or 4 hours of painting and drying. coats should be fully dry, smooth to the touch and should NOT hold a finger print. also, a light dusting on each coat is what is recommended to avoid dripping paint, also, if you don't use primer, you'll notice that it's even tougher for the paint to stick. this is a very dueable project, and doesn't look as nice as filling the entire divots would, but granted, it will be ALOT more cost effective.
      good luck
      peace
      p.s. as far as your bumpers, i recommend using the same process, just using an orbital sander to sand down your bumpers, and this whole process will require tearing apart your front end entirely... but carfully!! your rear bumper is the same, taking the damn thing off the car saves ALOT of prep work and ensures a better paint job. you COULD just mask off the area painted black on both bumpers, but overspray will be a real bitch, and aside from that, won't blend in very well with your bumper.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2003, 02:36 AM.

Comment

attatched are 2 images i took immediately after painting my front bumper, mounting a new fender, and painting my side moldings.. left undone was the rear bumper of which i just ended up doing a hack job on it anyway. hope these help

there you have it
        peace

Comment

I just took my side moldings off. They are only glued on so there are no holes to fill in or anything like that. But your still left with the black strip on the bumpers.

2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

and even so bud, there is a contour/line going across the bumper, so in actuality, it would look out of place on the car to have no door moldings and the bumps on the bumpers.. personally, i am thinking about taking on the task of trying to smooth out the lines on my bumpers... thats why i painted mine in the first place.. cause i didn't feel like putting a white bumper on my car and having to mask off the contour on the bumper, it was just a rediculous feat to take on. it's a bitch, i mean, my car is one of the few that i know of that came with pinstriping... of all things.. i tore that **** off entirely, painted the door moldings, slapped in those clears from the group buy, repainted my grill, and left it as such. my next step is to tear off the front bumper and resand it as the damn paint has already worn out.. most likey going to do it the cheap way and find a white spray paint from home depot and just paint the bitch, cause at 4 dollars a can, i can get 2 to 3 times more paint instead of paying the 12 for 3 or 4 cans. only if the color matches close enough of course . can't get around the clear coating, but who knows.. anyway... good luck bro.
            peace

Comment

Originally posted by demoninvictus
              and even so bud, there is a contour/line going across the bumper, so in actuality, it would look out of place on the car to have no door moldings and the bumps on the bumpers.. personally, i am thinking about taking on the task of trying to smooth out the lines on my bumpers... thats why i painted mine in the first place.. cause i didn't feel like putting a white bumper on my car and having to mask off the contour on the bumper, it was just a rediculous feat to take on. it's a bitch, i mean, my car is one of the few that i know of that came with pinstriping... of all things.. i tore that **** off entirely, painted the door moldings, slapped in those clears from the group buy, repainted my grill, and left it as such. my next step is to tear off the front bumper and resand it as the damn paint has already worn out.. most likey going to do it the cheap way and find a white spray paint from home depot and just paint the bitch, cause at 4 dollars a can, i can get 2 to 3 times more paint instead of paying the 12 for 3 or 4 cans. only if the color matches close enough of course . can't get around the clear coating, but who knows.. anyway... good luck bro.
              peace
              Just FYI , my green 93 DX has pinstriping.

I like the painted mouldings.
              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

2300 bucks?!?!?! are you serious? it sounds liek they are tryin to do ya up the ass there.. hell ic an paint my car 2 times for that much money an still haven enuf left over for a keg of beer... heres how i too kthat moulding off my toehr pro before it got squished...(thanks semtex for hsowin me)

buy some 10 LBS test fishing line.. take the line an get it under one of the corners or the moulding .. then "saw" yer way down the length of the car til she pops off then all ya gotta do it have ALOT of patience.. to peel off the left over glue underneath.. best way its with yer thumbnail.. or you could sand it off.. .. this way you shoudlent need to buy any colour matching paint at all .

now the ones o nthe frotn an rear bumber i have absolutely no clue how to do.. you coudl try the same method as above .. but im not sure if it'll work..

oh an btw.. the fishing line will snap alot.. so have patience ..an you'll get those side mouldings off in no time..
                basically the hardest part is gettin the glue off yer car itself.. its a tad bit anoying.. ..i know that it was for me.. but i got no patience at all..
                you could probally try sandpaper.. really fine grit tho.. unless you wanan scrath the paint on yer car.. then have to repaint that spot.. .... i speak from experience here .. i sanded mine an i needed to repaint it.. but Semtex used his thumbnail to get his all off an didnt need to touch the paint

it difenately makes the car look alot cleaner thats for sure..
                anywyas good luck with it.. an dont spend the 2300 bucks .. its just a waste. peace
                Pewter Silver 92 DX 5 Spd 1.8L SOHC
                -Stainless steel MagnaFlow exhaust with a double walled tip.
                -205/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE910 rubber
                -B&M Short Throw Shifter
                -MX-3 GS front seats
                -Front an Rear upper strut braces

(LOOKING FOR A CAI FOR MY SOHC !!!!)
                (GT-X on the way as I type)

Comment

he's talking about tearing out the door moldings and filling in the doors along where the molding goes and having a solid looking protege... THAT would look phat.. just not 2300 dollars phat . bottom line with the bumpers, it's not like door molding you peel off, it's PART of the bumper, the black trim you see is JUST paint.. nothing to be removed... you'd look pretty retarded doing that fishing line trick on your bumper.
                  peace

Comment

yea i found that out today, I was like hmm, maybe I can stick the fishing line in the bumper part somehow. I lokoed for a few seconds and was like wow im stupid. So I just went and got some sand paper and started to sand out the bumper. I didnt finish because I had some other **** to do, but its gonna look cool when im done!
                    Eat ****.

Comment

good luck, and show us pics when ur done!

Comment

if you were to fill in where you side mouldings are you could get an oribital sander and a 10g can of fine fiberglass(kittyhair)
                        fill it in ruffly use the sander to mould it down using ruff sandpaper to soft, and get it all smooth and paint it up

as for the bumpers i believe its you best bet to paint them over or sand the **** outta them and then again paint it over

dont forget your clearcoat!!! it will help save your work

after a week of constant sun drying clean it and wax it, again to help save your work and protect the paint, a few coats of wax make the difference, just an FYI

peace
                        No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

It'll look wierd if you shave the mouldings....

The Pro needs that whole vertical division to look right. I could have shaved mine no problem when I did my car, but I did some photoshops and it looked bad shaved.

Oh, and the doors flex too much to last long shaved. No matter how much you pay, how much they prep or how well the work is done. The doors WILL crack within 2 years. No ifs ands or buts about it. Trust me.

Just repaint them, it'll look much better, IMO.
                          Bob

www.midnitemekanix.com

Comment

Well I have began my project, and have decided to do this. Im going to take off all the side moulding. Fill in the divets with some body filler, even on the bumpers where right beneath the moulding there is a small divot. I bought an orbital sander and all the filler today. Im gonna fill the divots then sand it and get all smooth looking and ****, and aint it over nicely. Hopefully it will look good, if not I can always just put the ugly side moulding back on. I took the black off today and I think it looks better already. If I can get pics I will post up the work in progress and the finished result!
                            Eat ****.

Comment

Working...
                            X