tuning ignition timing problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tuning ignition timing problems

So ive been tuning my ignition timing which is pretty straight forward...but for one thing. In my haynes manual it say to make a jumper wire going from ground to TEN on the little diagnostic box under the hood. The only way i could tell what TEN was was from a little ****ty picture in the manual. Only thing is the picture was actually a 1st gen.. I noticed on mine if i did what they showed it would just bypass the fuel pump relay...which wouldnt make the timing decrease like they say it should with that jumper wire in.. So my question is: what pin is TEN in a 2nd gen and what does it go to? How does it make timing retard? And why is this needed to tune the timing?
    sigpic

BUMP. come on people TEN and Ground....which ones?
    sigpic

Comment

Never seen a 'gen 2', but on a 323, there's a lable on the inside of the cap...
      www.323gtx.co.uk
      www.323gtr.net

Comment

Does this help?
        Attached Files
        www.323gtx.co.uk
        www.323gtr.net

Comment

Your cap doesn't have the labels in it. It should be there. Ten and gnd are supposed to be in the spots labeled above.
          When you do this it jumps the ecu and then you can adjust the timing from the disty. Advance it to one notch above 10 and see how it runs. My protege is right at 10, but I am going to put the protege at 12.

Bruce
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

every Mazda with the MECS datalink connector has the same placement for the pins. The only difference would be on some newer models the connector won't have the wires in the connector. The Ten and Grd are in the same spot as the diagram above. If there are wires in those spots you connect them to check/adjust idle.
            98 protege lx 1.8l
            short ram intake custom
            crane hi-6 ign.
            14 miata alloy wheels
            .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

Ok thanks everyone! I really needed that!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X