oval vs. round muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oval vs. round muffler

Any sound differences between the two?I have an oval muffler,not yet installed.

I have never owned a round one, but I love the sound of my oval DTM. Beefy. Can't say if the two are different or not, but if I had to guess -- round > rice sound/ oval < rice sound --(pure speculation on my part, I am currently talking out of my ass)
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

i have a round single tip dtm and it sounds quite nice, no rice at all. it's quiet until you step on it a little and then it sounds quite nice.
      '91 323 SE
      Sony 12" Sub and amp - 17" Motegi MR7's wrapped in 205/40/zr Visa's - Protoss CAI - Magnaflow Exhaust - Indiglo Gauges and Carbon Fiber Bezel - Ractive Shift Knob, Boot, and Pedals - GroundControls

Coming Soon- Kartboy SS, Pakfeifer Front Bumper
      <center></center>

<a href="mailto://67mustangjosh@gmail.com">67mustangjosh@gmail dot com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by dodson3
        Any sound differences between the two?I have an oval muffler,not yet installed.
        According to tests run by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), www.astm.org , round tip mufflers generally produce a rounded, full-bodied sound whereas oval tip mufflers tend to produce a somewhat flattened out but extended sound.
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

the canister on the 323 is oval and the canister on the protege is round.
          The 323 has a mellow raspy like sound to it, and the protege has a deep hollow sound to it.

-----------
          The 323 is using a factory resonator with factory exhaust all the way to the back. The protege has 2.5 from the cat all the way to the cherry bomb resonator (not the red one) and 2.5 till it terminates.

Bruce
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I finally got my muffler installed today.It sounds really deep.It's loud but not high pitched like most can mufflers I hear.I think it sounds cool.I have to go back to the shop tommorrow and have them fix a little leak around one of the welds.That kind of sucks.I didn't check for leaks before i left because it was raining really hard.It's a summit racing mufler.I bought it from them since hey are in ohio and the price was right.

Comment

Working...
            X