Exhaust Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Questions

Ok, so I just got back from the exhaust shop, and a few things suprised me. 1, they said that there aren't hi-flow cats available for my car, because its OBDII. 2, I aready have 2" piping. It's a '95 ES (came from the factory with the BP). They quoted me $170 (parts & labor) for the cat (it's starting to go anyways). If all of the previous mentioned things are true, then I'll probably just swap out the muffler and cat. They also said that removing the resonator could add some power, but I'm a little bit hesitant because some people have said that the BP is very loud without. As always, thanks for the help

edit: forgot to mention the reason for this post, is everything they told me true?

Well, its true that there is no high-flow cat applications for 2nd gens, but any universal will do the job. With our cars, its slightly different, where there is about a foot long pipe connected to our cat, and then it goes down to axle, and muffler. Try out different shops, and get different opinions, because most shops never worked on our cars (performance wise). Just see what they say. Goodluck.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

That's the thing, they said even a universal hi-flow wouldn't work. I'm not sure if they mean it won't pass emmissions or throw a CEL, and I didn't think to ask. I was sitting there when he called Catco, and he specifically told them universal.

Comment

tting out your resonator won't really make that much of a diff. In power or sound. Mine's slightly louder, probably would be louder if I had a different muffler, but mines stock.
        Power wise........ Nothing, not even the ultra sensitive ass dyno said anything about it.
        I'd swear I measured my pipe diameter and it was like 1 7/8''.
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

is there really that much difference between 1 7/8" and 2" though, I mean really, 1/8"? It's not worth it. Do you have the BP or the Z5?

Comment

BP, no it might have been 2'' it was a few years ago.
            Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

k, have you done anything w/ the cat?

Comment

No. Can't afford to do anything.
                Saving for the Essential Speed headers and highflow cat.

Comment

Do you know where you're gonna get the cat?

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
                    Do you know where you're gonna get the cat?
                    Apparently the ES ones come with a cat.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                      Apparently the ES ones come with a cat.
                      You can always go with a universal hi-flow. No real difference between one made esp with the protege in mind vs one that everyone can use. Just like mufflers.
                      Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
                      FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
                      Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

That's what threw me off, they said the universal hi-flow wouldn't work. . .

Comment

A universal one is just that.
                          Cut the old one off, weld the new one on.

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
                            That's what threw me off, they said the universal hi-flow wouldn't work. . .

they lied!!!!... sorry man.

i have and had the universal hi flow before and after turbo and i'm running fine.
                            Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
                            FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
                            Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

Is it emissions legal?

Comment

Working...
                              X