Noise Comin from Right front tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise Comin from Right front tire

It only hear it once in a while but theres a noise comin front the front right tire it sounds like crickets when I turn the music down in my car it sounds like crickets singin but comin from the front passage side dont know what it is does anyone no...
    Ratrod

Wheel bearing possibly?
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

it dont click
      Ratrod

Comment

A bad wheel bearing won't click, that is a cv joint. A bad wheel bearing will make a scraping noise, a metal on metal noise.
        2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

umm ya know that might be it I would have to take it to get fixed you think
          Ratrod

Comment

Yes, I definately would. I recently had a catastrophic wheel bearing failure 30 miles into a trip to North Carolina. Needless to say, I didn't make it to NC. I had previously replaced the passenger side bearing just a couple of months before and even drove on the bad one for like 3 months with no problems. Then the drivers side bearing started making the same noise, but not until that very day and ended in a smoking glory. There was literally smoke pouring out from under my car, only for a few seconds though. When i took the spindle off of the car, I could barley move the hub by hand -- it should move freely. So Id get it fixed as soon as possible. Im not saying yours will do the same as I drove on a bad one for some time, but you never know.

If you wanna save some money just go buy the new bearing and a new oil seal from the parts store. Then remove the spindle/hub assembly from your car and take it to a shop to have the bearing pressed in. They should do it for $15-30 tops. Another option would be to pull a used assembly from the junkyard and pay ~$35. But you take the risk of getting another bad bearing. That's what I did for the drivers side. For the passenger's side I had the shop press in a new bearing, but ended up paying close to $150 total I think because I ended up needing a new hub which was $99 from the dealer.
            2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

lift the tire off the ground. Grab ahold of the top and bottom. Shake it up and down. If there is movement, first have someone shake it for you and look at the ball joint. If there is no slop there than it is a wheel bearing. If its the bearing take it to a shop 'cause it needs to be pressed... unless you have access to one. Good luck
              Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

The same wheel on my car makes a similar noise.
                I've found that the noise disappears as soon as I step on the brake pedal (even very lightly). The frequency of the sound increases with speed, but disappears as soon as the brake pad touches the rotor. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                  The same wheel on my car makes a similar noise.
                  I've found that the noise disappears as soon as I step on the brake pedal (even very lightly). The frequency of the sound increases with speed, but disappears as soon as the brake pad touches the rotor. Any ideas?
                  That's how my bad wheel bearing acted. Do as 92_2_fast said, and jack up the car then grab ahold of the tire at the top and bottom then shake it to see if it moves. Don't shake in the direction the wheel turns, because obviously it will move that way. Shake it from the top to bottom. There should not be any play. If it moves the bearing is bad, the movement should be very obvious.
                  2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X