Exhaust diameter question/discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust diameter question/discussion

So most of us seem to agree that 2 inch is the ideal for an NA pro and that 2.25'' is the absolute max. Has anybody tried 2 1/8"?? I still plan on getting a set of cams from a 99+ Miata but thats going to be on hold for a little while now.
    When I do get an exhaust would I be better off sticking with 2" or with the breathing improvements gained by the cams should I try a 2 1/4" diameter or if I can find 2 1/8" pipe which doesn't seem to be all that common should I try that??
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

If I were you I would not even bother with 2 and 1/8 because it will involve higher prices that you might not want to face. I would go with 2 and 1/4 in the spring when I will be doing my exhaust. Tell me a bit about 99 Miata cams. Thanks.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

what are your eventual goals for the motor?

redline?
      mods?
      power output?

FWIW, 2 1/8th would be too hard to find, hence why nobody talks about it.
      "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
      -93 MR2, 129 ES
      ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
      Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
        what are your eventual goals for the motor?

redline?
        mods?
        power output?

FWIW, 2 1/8th would be too hard to find, hence why nobody talks about it.
        I figured 2 1/8 would be hard to find for that reason, everybody's got 2'', 2 1/4'' or some even 2 1/2".

Eventual goals?? Hmmmm............
        As much power as possible.
        Right now I want to try and learn some ****. one thing I was hoping to do was find the required exhaust pipe, and build my own exhaust. Short term, which for me would probably be the next year or so engine wise would be in no particular order: Clutch, UDP, Miata Cams, Exhaust, intake, and a ground kit (since they're apparently fairly easy to make and may result in some gains).

Somewhere in there I'd like to try my hand at making a set of headers, though that may be slightly over my head. With that done I'd Replace the flex pipe, which I hear is a major bottle neck and get a highflow cat.

After that I don't know. I don't really want to get rid of the car, ever, but any number of things could happen, it could get jacked, totalled, completely die etc....
        I've contemplated going NA more than turbo since there seem to be very few people that have really high output NA BPs. At least in Proteges anyways. But I'm of course, aware that it takes money for a standalone, machinework, parts, yadda yadda yadda........ and then of course time, and tuning.
        I still have alot to learn.
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Working...
        X