What not to do to a 2nd Gen exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What not to do to a 2nd Gen exhaust

Well being the inexperienced guy that I am with cars, I got myself into a bad situation. Many years ago I had a universal muffler installed and all was fine until one day I realized something was wrong with my muffler. It began to hang down and my car didn't feel quite right.

All wasn't well in the car of ED, so I decided to replace the muffler with a Dynomax muffler. At the time it seemed great I just decided to get a style of Dynomax muffler that I thought would fit my car. (Well, I should leave this kinda thinking to the experts)

I took my Dynomax muffler and went to a Midas shop. I figured these guys were experts at putting on mufflers, and they'd tell me if I was doing something stupid. Well they didn't tell me crap and they did one off the worst jobs I'd ever seen on a car.

Take a look at some of the pics below, and let me know what you think of this "quality work" worth $200.00.

The moral of this story is ... mechanics suck sometimes, they'll sometimes rip you off big time, and don't pay till you see the finished product.

I'll post the pics of the cat back exhaust system that I had installed in replace of this craptastic job.
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Wow, that's horrible. $200 and they didn't even weld it on.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

lol yeah thats ghey, i lazy bitches didn't weld anything.
      .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
      225.94wtq
      torque monster!!!!
      dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
      http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
      http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Thats a major rip off. What did they charge you $200 for? They didn't weld anything, and all they used were some brackets and bolts? It sounds like your car was there for more than 2 hours, because if most of this was labor charge, that place needs their license taken away for doing such a ****ty job.
        "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
          Thats a major rip off. What did they charge you $200 for? They didn't weld anything, and all they used were some brackets and bolts? It sounds like your car was there for more than 2 hours, because if most of this was labor charge, that place needs their license taken away for doing such a ****ty job.
          They charged me for labor mostly and they only had the car inside their shop for an hour. Yeah, I agree this shop manager or at least the person who did this work should be fired. Oh and get this originally they charged me $340. There's more ... two of the mechanics that work there, including the one that did my car, tried to get me to pay them in cash to do the work so they didn't have to put in the Midas computer system. What kinda **** is that !?!? I shoulda probly taken that as a hint and left right then. (stupid me)

I took it to another Midas shop where I saw some of the mechanics work first. They hooked me up. I got a custom cat back exhaust with a Ravin performance muffler and chrome dual pipe tip. It set me back $600 but the guy did a terrific job so I don't mind coughing up the money. The mechanic will be sending me pics soon.

I'll be getting my $200 back too.
          ED
          '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
          Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
          WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Working...
          X