aftermarket water temp gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aftermarket water temp gauge

I just installed an autometer cobalt water temp gauge because i broke off the needles on the one in my dash because of a failed attempt at installing some mazdaspeed gauges from corksport. Would unplugging the stock water temp sending unit cause my check engine light to come on and my protege to idle very rough. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

why unplug it? just leave it, also do you have any pics?
    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
    225.94wtq
    torque monster!!!!
    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

the new gauge came with a different sending unit and stuff so I had to unplug and unscrew the stock one from the block and screw the new one in. So I am not sure what the problem is, i will take some pics here in the next couple of days and post them.

Comment

when you install an aftermarket water temperature gauge, you're suppose to drill and install the sender separately from the stock sender. You should NOT be messing with stock temperature sender.

so figure out where you can tap to get a reading on the coolants, and install it the proper way.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

I talked to a mazda mechanic in town and asked him where i should put the sender and he said that it would be ok to put it right where the stock one was. So thats what I did. The gauge works fine and stuff, but my car doesn't now. I am gonna see if he can just program my ecu to ignore the stock temp sender. And by the way i didn't get burned on the mazdaspeed gauges, i tried to put them on and the went on fine over my tach and speedo needles, but i tried with two instrument clusters to get them to slide over gas and temp needles and both times the needles broke so I just said f%ck it and ordered an autometer gauge pillar and gas and water temp gauge. I am still figuring out how to get the gas gauge to work and once i do everything will be fine. There is one more spot in the gauge pillar still but I am not sure yet which other gauge to get. I am either gonna order a boost gauge and get the turno kit from wagner motorsports or I am gonna hook up some nitrous to the motor and hook up a nitrous pressure gauge. What are everyones thoughts on this. Even though it is a 1.6, I am still determined to make halfways quick so I can keep up with some of the other cars. I am sure a new clutch will be in the mix here real soon too for either of the mods that I decide to do. By the way those autometer cobalt gauges are the coolest gauges that I have ever seen. I will try to get pics up as soon as possible.

Comment

How exactly do you plan on "programming" the ECU to "ignore" the stock temp sender??? Your car will never properly without it. NEVER.
            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

what a flipping tool that mazda tech is. if he is worth any salt he should've told you to drill a new hole and put the new sender there, AND keeping the stock temp sender right where it is.

you do know ProCarParts.com sell these gauge cluster overlays that are EASY to lay over the gauges without breaking the needles right???

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Edwin, am I right that the ECT is the only temperature sensor on 3rd gens? That's the way it looks by looking at the FSMs... but I'm not an expert.
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

There are mazdaspeed instrument panel overlays that I bought from corksport so don't tell me there isn't. I tried two different times to put them in and i snapped the needles both times. if worse comes to worse, I can just buy a super afc and put that on to control fuel and stuff. And if you are wondering Man, these are the gauge overlays that I am talking about http://www.corksport.com/main.php3?p...3Fcat%3D220750. You think you know everything there is to know, but you should put your foot in your mouth sometimes.

Comment

as Bullet Tooth Tony said in 'Snatch'..

"The fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your gun. (withdraws his gun) And the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five O" written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now... **** off. "

Comment

Big deal if they are replica or not, all i said was that they didn't work. I never said that they were the real thing. woohoo you proved your point. and by the way, when you replace an instrument cluster your mileage doesn't get screwed, that is all saved in your ecu. i did it once.

Comment

heres an Idea, split the sensor wire and run the second line to ur new gauge, this is just a shot in the dark but its possible they just gave you a new temp sensor, in which case either would work, but if Im wrong then Id advise to put the original back in, who the **** cares if the gauge works if the car isnt running for **** right.
                        94' Mazda Protege'... trying to return it to former glory.

aim: zep867

Comment

I was testing the ohm loads on the wires and they are different, i already though about that. It is a good idea though.
                          I would put the stock one back in, but I already tapped the stock hole in the motor to work for the autometer gauge, so I will just have to find another spot to tap in the motor to put in the stock sending unit. Not a big deal. I am about to just say **** it and not even have any gauges overlays and just put a new cluster in. So, could someone just help me in telling me where would be a good spot to drill in the motor to put in a water temp sender. thanks for all of your help though anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by fuganator
                            and by the way, when you replace an instrument cluster your mileage doesn't get screwed, that is all saved in your ecu. i did it once.
                            you ARE wrong with that one. I and many people on here have replaced their instrument cluster and had to deal with different mileage. i replaced mine twice, once with one that I got from a junkyard, and one from a mazda dealership. i think i would know after having 3500 miles on a car that really has around 77,000 miles.

2000 White Protege LX
                            Sumitomo 195/60HR14
                            2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
                            Kenwood KDC-MP522 Head Unit
                            Kenwood KAC-7251 (800 W) Amp
                            Audiobahn AWC10T x 2 Subs
                            Kenwood Music Keg
                            Black Widow Keyless Entry
                            Intake- Custom SRI
                            Clear Corner Lights
                            APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

The Cork Sport Challenge

I am new to Cork Sport and my primary responsibility is to assist the crew in improving customer service. The guys here are genuinely committed to developing and maintaining a consistently exceptional level of service. With your help we can accomplish that although it's not going to happen overnight.

First off I'd like to ask that we refrain from the vulgarities and personal attacks. I can appreciate the frustration that accompanies many of the experiences of the past and while spewing profanities is often the accepted way to deal with them, I would ask that we use a more positive and proactive approach.

Secondly, let me clarify that my moniker (mazdmotorhead) was selected with my tongue firmly in my cheek as I AM NOT the one you want to talk to about technical issues. However in spite of some comments and perceptions to the contrary, there are several people here who are more than competent and willing to provide answers to questions even those that require research.

As for the Fuganator issue, we have responded to him (albeit late) and I am including the response below:

>"I have to apologize that no one has kept you up to date on what is
                              >happening. The problem lies with the size of the hole for the water
                              >and temp gauge. The 99-00 model gauges had a smaller tab off of
                              >the back of the needle. The later model 2000-up versions increased
                              >the size of the tab thus the faces won't fit correctly over the
                              >needles."

I hope this will provide at least a plausible explaination for the situation. All new orders received by us will include the corrected faces. While many of our customers experienced no problem with installation or were able to modify them without breaking the needles if anyone out there still has a problem CONTACT ME and I'll get it handled for you.

Which brings me to my real point: if in the course of doing business with Cork Sport, your experience doesn't live up to your expectations then something is wrong and I want to know about it.

I will be checking this and other sites in the future but please don't post and wait -contact me directly at gary@corksport.com or (503) 252-5700.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X