Krylon Fusion = interior paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Krylon Fusion = interior paint?

i saw a commercial for this stuff the other day, i'm thinking about trying it out on my plastic trunk pieces and seeing if it is suitable for interior painting...
    anybody tried it yet?

Krylon® Fusion®

Discover this revolutionary paint for plastic - Fusion. This top-selling paint is the first of its kind that bonds to plastic.
    Perfect for:

Plastic
    Ceramic/Plaster
    Glass
    Metal and more!
    justin
    Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
    installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

Comment

Cliff notes from that thread: (posted by hihoslva)

SEM paint right here:

And here:

Well over two years old, still looks 100% perfect. Not glossy - it's a nice flat, satiny look - just like the stock finish, but a better silver color (I did all the "champagne" plastic with it, as well as the black gauge surround & bezel).

There's nothing better than SEM - don't even consider anything else. Do it once, do it right.

~HH
      93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
      02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
      05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

My 323's rear trunk panels are in good shape, but have a couple of scratches and fading problems up near the top where sunlight hits. I'm gonna use some blue dye on the rear panel in my 323 b/c I can't justify spending $10 a can for this SEM crap and I don't care if it gets a scratch here and there.

I've used Plasti-Kote interior dye, meant for vinyl and plastics. It is like $4 a can and you can get it at advance auto among other places. If you prep the plastic properly (ie: clean it, possibly lightly sanding it), it'll adhere well, but it is still pretty vulnerable to scratches if you jab blunt objects into it. My MX-3 and Festiva have black-dyed A & B pillars. My festiva's dashboard is dyed black with this stuff, and only has a couple of scratches after 1.5 years of use.
        93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
        02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
        05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

where can u get SEM in canada?

Comment

Do you just spray the plasti-kote dye on the same as the spray paint?

Comment

I've bought a lot of cans of Krylon Fusion and repainted my entire interior's plastic pieces. It looks great. I sanded it down with fine sandpaper first to take off the finish, spray on the paint, then i sealed everything with spray-on Polyurethane (mainly because I did layers of different colors). This is one of my front panels.
              To each his own... my own just happens to be ****ty.
              http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/627186

Comment

what did you use to mask off the flames, vinyl?

Comment

HAhahahaha thats ****ing hideous;dsknvdf

Comment

Yea, i used to work at a vinyl graphics place, so I just cut flame designs and used the inverse as a mask. Xlerate93... eat it... everyone's got their own thing.

Comment

Did you use masking vinyl, or just regular old vinyl? I was thinking about doing that to mask some little things like the name of my shop on my front bumper etc... I wasn't sure if regular vinyl would jack anyhting up. Did it leave any track marks...oh nevermind you wouldnt even be able to tell on that surface.

Comment

I used regular vinyl. I used to work at a custom shop in the mall where we made stupid stickers for peoples cars, but after hours I'd always make useful vinyl stuff. Vinyl is great, it can be applied to anything smooth and removed without any stuff left behind. The only problem I can foresee is if the paint job you're putting vinyl on isn't very good to begin with, and then it'll peel off some paint in chunks with it. I've done plenty of painting masks with vinyl on other things than just my panels and they come out very well.

Comment

Working...
                        X