1.8L vs. 2.0L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.8L vs. 2.0L

Hey I'm new here and was jsut wondering what yo guys thought was a better engine. I was ona different site and i read that the 1.8L can actually beat the 2.0L because it has a smoother power band?? or something like that. What do you guys think? I guess hte 1.8L is older and already proven.
    See yah

1. Welcome.
    2. Bookmark this site: http://web2.airmail.net/theman/protegefaq/ More good info there than you can shake a camshaft at.
    3. There's more than one 1.8; the one everybody goes nuts over is the BP from the older Proteges. That's probably what you read about.
    ~Mark.
    2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

I think he was referring to the "bp1.8 vs. FP1.8 vs. FS2.0" thread at pro club. That was a while ago now. I remember the gist of it I think.
      The BP owns all of them of course. The FP-DE has a better torque curve, and *supposedly* more eager to rev than the FS-DE. The FS-DE makes a bit more power and torque, but isn't as rev happy.
      Thats what I remember from that thread. Somebody feel free to pwn me if I'm wrong.
      Ryan The middle child is always ignored
      BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
        oh god... please don't let this thread be a big flame war headache like that thread on msprotege
        lol yeah i remember that thread, waste of time.
        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
        225.94wtq
        torque monster!!!!
        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
          lol yeah i remember that thread, waste of time.
          Sorry

Comment

no not you man, your jusy wondering.

186.08whp
            225.94wtq
            torque monster!!!!

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

I'd take the FP-DE over the FS-DE myself. Freeer revving and in the ligher 99/00 ES.
              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

I'm in Canada and have a 1.8L, and am really serious about getting a turbo, but i can't seem to find any for hte 1.8L. Will the 2.0L turbos work?

Comment

i was wondering this same thing. the bp will always be how all others are judged. but that aside, i would think that the 2.0l would be the obvious winner, but i really dont like the way they put out a bigger engine with only a small difference in power. my eclipse had a 2.4l and only 120 at the wheels, it sucked. i got smoked quite badly by a 2.0 protege, and loved every minute of it. all protege engines are good, this we know. but this thread poses a good question, is bigger better?
                  Serenity's Dead.

Comment

the Z5 is the best
                    it has almost as much power as my cordless drill

Comment

earlier i changed my p5's oil and noticed that almost everything on the FS (p5) motor looks exactly the same as the BP (1.8 1st gen) motor. I mean the sensors, intake brakets, mounts, wires etc...looks exactly like the bp. I wonder if the FS tranny is any better than the b6 that i have. hmm...

My p5 weighs may be 2,800 lbs and im pushing 130 hp. The torque is decent but nothing compare to my bp. But then again u gotta remember the weight difference on my cars.

On my 91 323 w/ bp. It weigh 2,200lbs w/ 125 hp and yes u can feel the big weight difference. The 1st, 2nd gear pulls hard but on my 3rd it kinda starts slowing down.

Comment

About a year ago, I pretty much raped a 2.0L 3rd gen with my 1.8L 1st gen! Was not even close........
                        -------------------------
                        '91 LX
                        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
                        -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
                        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by getshorto
                          Hey I'm new here and was jsut wondering what yo guys thought was a better engine. I was ona different site and i read that the 1.8L can actually beat the 2.0L because it has a smoother power band?? or something like that. What do you guys think? I guess hte 1.8L is older and already proven.
                          See yah
                          well what 1.8 litre engine you talking bout, what gen. the first, 2nd, or 3rd gen???

186.08whp
                          225.94wtq
                          torque monster!!!!

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

FS-DE is a great motor..get a 1.6 if you want boost..The one of msprotege was complete waste of time since 16 year old kids felt like arguing with me for weeks on end. The 1.8 is just a honda motor in denial..
                            Live near the Northeast?
                            Check out the New-England Protege Owner's Club!

Soon to be boosted..seriously this time
                            Current Boost Fund: 1340.00$
                            NEPOC-Member

Comment

Originally posted by SpicyMchaggis
                              FS-DE is a great motor..get a 1.6 if you want boost..The one of msprotege was complete waste of time since 16 year old kids felt like arguing with me for weeks on end. The 1.8 is just a honda motor in denial..
                              1.8 is just a honda motor? then it must be a great motor since honda makes a great motors...

Comment

Working...
                              X