v.i.c.s-shutter valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v.i.c.s-shutter valve

Does anybody know what exactly the shutter valve does?my car is really pissing me off,it idles like crap and sometimes it runs horrible.it will run fine & then all of a sudden it will hesitate and jerk while driving.I was checking my vaccum hoses & messed around with the shutter valve.It was idling up and down till I pulled the actuater rod out,then it idled fine.I disconnected the hoses to feel for vaccum and they checked out.the vaccum hoses from the shutter valve go to a solenoid or something,it has an eletrical connecter hooked to it.my haynes manual doesn't say much so I had to ask,it's really getting annoying.

It manages the length of the path that the air takes through the intake manifold. With the shutter closed (at low RPM) the path is longer and makes more torque. After a certain RPM 4500RPM i think, the shutter opens and allows maximum horsepower.

As for your problem. I just put a BP in my protege and it idles up and down and then sometimes stops. My problem sounds alot like yours. I have yet to figure out what the hell it is, but i dont think its vics related.
    sigpic

Comment

i THINK i may have found my problem.a vacuum hose connected to the back of the intake manifold had a small crack in it.i replaced it and let my car idle for awhile.it idled good but i didn't drive it yet.--not related--->i noticed when i push in my brake pedal the rpm's drop and when i let off it they rise up again.it seems electrical to me,bad grounds maybe.the brake lights shouldn't be drawing that much power.it also does this when i press in the clutch.

Comment

Might want to check all the lines on the brake booster
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

The phantom idle brake problem is pretty common, it's been discussed, I'm not sure if there's a fix or not.

Comment

There is always a fix. The car didn't do that when it was new, did it?
            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I didn't have it when it was new, so I wouldn't know. I don't remember who had the fix, maybe it was bruce, it's somewhere here. . . just do a search for "phantom idle"

Comment

Miatas have that braking idle problem all the time. I was thinking putting a PVC valve in the brake booster line might stop it...but i dont know.
                sigpic

Comment

No, it's simpler than that, someone did it. . . just dont know who

Comment

Working...
                  X