• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

****ty copy

demoninvictus
    Smoking or Non-Smoking???

Alpines DON'T like HEAT!!!
    I am very pleased with my purchase of my Alpine 7894 headunit.. plays when i want it to, doesn't skip much as long as i don't feed it a really scratched up cd, works real nice, looks sleek and everything. but today, the first day we've had thats been so hot (over 85), the interior of my car was heated up to about 110 to 120 degrees and low and behold, the cd feeder quit working. these faceplates will run hot to the touch (120 degrees at least) in 40 degree weather after they've been running for a long while, but this is the first time i've ever had a problem as such.. this is going to be a fun summer with NO air conditioning in the car.
    peace

Flowmaster Axleback--butchered ebay intake, cone filter minus air box -- body color moldings/bumpers--clear corners--custom grille--hyper-whites all around--Alpine CDA-7894--Pioneer 6 1/2" 2ways w/ Kenwood crossovers and 1/2" tweets--Boston Acoustic 6 1/2" 2ways--JBL 50x4 powering speakers--(NEW) Blue MX-3 front seats (thanx wil)--Optima Redtop Battery--(FUTURE) Amp and 2 EDesigns 10K's w/ Monster Cable wiring--Monster XLN's RCA's--rims or suspension??

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

June-25th-2003 02:35 AM Online | Offline

MisterT
    ES Sedan Man

Wow, no AC in the car? That has got to suck. I went without AC in my old '89 Grand Am back in '92 and '93. It got SO HOT and at the time I was working on the beach, so it sat in a hot black asphalt parking lot all day long! I don't miss those days. (Except working there was fun). I noticed that my Alpine unit gets hot. It used to get even more so when the built in amp was hooked to all 4 factory speakers (at the time). I guess that is Alpine for ya.

Mister T

SoundQuest Distribution Block
    Coustic XM1E crossover
    Boston Acoustics Pro 5.4 components
    SoundStream SS6.1 midbass
    EDesigns 12K.44 DVC subs
    Groundkit
    Dynamo dry cell battery

June-25th-2003 06:52 AM Online | Offline

JAC
    huh?

Are you using the internal amp? if not then you should turn it off, I´ve heard that this helps to keep it cool.

I LOVE MY ALPINE!

-KartBoy SS/Bushings
    -Alpine CDA-9815
    -JL XR525-cs
    -PG Tantrum 300.2
    -D. audio 404 (aka, cheesy amp)
    -JL 12"w0
    -All PG wiring

June-25th-2003 10:54 AM Online | Offline

demoninvictus

i'm rewiring the front speakers today to run the four channels of my stereo off my 4 channel amp.... would that shut the internal amplifier off?
    peace

Flowmaster Axleback--butchered ebay intake, cone filter minus air box -- body color moldings/bumpers--clear corners--custom grille--hyper-whites all around--Alpine CDA-7894--Pioneer 6 1/2" 2ways w/ Kenwood crossovers and 1/2" tweets--Boston Acoustic 6 1/2" 2ways--JBL 50x4 powering speakers--(NEW) Blue MX-3 front seats (thanx wil)--Optima Redtop Battery--(FUTURE) Amp and 2 EDesigns 10K's w/ Monster Cable wiring--Monster XLN's RCA's--rims or suspension??

June-25th-2003 01:25 PM Online | Offline

JAC
    huh?

Press and hold the func/setup button for like 3 seconds or so until you activate the setup mode, use the |<< or >>| buttons to cycle through the options until you get to one called "PWR-IC", press the band button to switch it off.

-KartBoy SS/Bushings
    -Alpine CDA-9815
    -JL XR525-cs
    -PG Tantrum 300.2
    -JL 12"w0
    -All PG wiring

June-25th-2003 01:45 PM Online | Offline

Intruder
    Protege Enthusiast

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by JAC
    Press and hold the func/setup button for like 3 seconds or so until you activate the setup mode, use the |<< or >>| buttons to cycle through the options until you get to one called "PWR-IC", press the band button to switch it off.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is there a way of changing the LCD brightness as well?

I also have an Alpine - my second one actually and I hope to have a third one soon. My old one - 7833 - refused to play CDs one day. It was VERY hot here and it just couldn't play a CD. I could hear the servo mechanism trying to pick up the track, but it just couldn't lock on it... I had to wait till the car cooled down. Then I was able to play the CD.

Right now I have a 9807 and I haven't had problems with it so far. I don't like the silver though. I am going to sell it and get a 9813 or a 9815 if I really feel like spending the extra $100 just for the color (black with blue buttons).

June-27th-2003 12:56 AM Online | Offline

JAC
    huh?

Well, I have a 9815 and it does have a dimmer option but you can also hook it up to the "ilumination" wire from your wire harness so that it will dim itself when you turn on the headlights, my harness didn´t have one though.

And the difference is more than just the colors man, it has the i-personalize feature wich is worth the extra 100$ alone IMO, the display is WAY nicer and it has some other extra features that I can´t reccall right now.

-KartBoy SS/Bushings
    -Alpine CDA-9815
    -JL XR525-cs
    -PG Tantrum 300.2
    -JL 12"w0
    -All PG wiring

Last edited by JAC on June-27th-2003 at 09:54 AM

June-27th-2003 09:41 AM Online | Offline

Bruce95fmla

I have a JVC SH-99 , and the face pivots out to 3 different positions. You can also turn off the internal amp, although when I had the IA off it did not get to hot. But when I started using it (IA ON) it gets warm..
    But with the face tilted , I guess air gets back there and it has a way to vent itself
    Brucehere is a pic I am not sure what the Alpine looks like...

June-27th-2003 10:13 AM

Intruder
    Protege Enthusiast

quote:
    Originally posted by JAC
    Well, I have a 9815 and it does have a dimmer option but you can also hook it up to the "ilumination" wire from your wire harness so that it will dim itself when you turn on the headlights, my harness didn´t have one though.

And the difference is more than just the colors man, it has the i-personalize feature wich is worth the extra 100$ alone IMO, the display is WAY nicer and it has some other extra features that I can´t reccall right now.

cool, what's the TILT button for?

June-27th-2003 12:58 PM Online | Offline

JAC
    huh?

To swivel the HU´s face, so that if you´re getting glare or perhaps you mounted it too low and want to have a cleaner look of the screen you can fix it. For the 3rd gen protege you really don´t need to use it because it´s mounted fairly high, I don´t know about the 2nd gens though.

-KartBoy SS/Bushings
    -Alpine CDA-9815
    -JL XR525-cs
    -PG Tantrum 300.2
    -JL 12"w0
    -All PG wiring

June-27th-2003 02:08 PM Online | Offline

Intruder
    Protege Enthusiast

quote:
    Originally posted by JAC
    To swivel the HU´s face, so that if you´re getting glare or perhaps you mounted it too low and want to have a cleaner look of the screen you can fix it. For the 3rd gen protege you really don´t need to use it because it´s mounted fairly high, I don´t know about the 2nd gens though.

there are 2nd gens with a low mount. mine is high though.

June-27th-2003 02:24 PM Online | Offline

demoninvictus

this tilt feature is wonderful in my first gen, it sits at my shifter's height approximately, it's bright, and when i get sun glare or my eyes get tired from driving at night, i hit the tilt button (even located on the remote) and it's clear as day to me. as far as this illumination wire, i have 2 wiring harnesses, one for the factory harness that converts it to a general harness i'm guessing, and then an alpine specific harness that allows me to directly plug the first harness into my alpine. i'll have to look into this, cause an auto-dimming feature that doesn't totally cut out your track display would be beneficial. thanks for the internal amp tip, i saw that on there and didn't think much of it, i'll have to do that.

thanks guys..
    peace

June-27th-2003 06:57 PM Online | Offline

asylum24
    Protege Enthusiast

JAC Why the hell did you buy that thing?! I have the 9813 which is just the exact same as yours except you have 2 dot display and yours is silver and blue and not baclk and green! why the hell did you pay ~$120 more for just that!?

June-30th-2003 12:08 PM Online | Offline

JAC
    huh?

I wanted the nicer screen, liked the looks of the 15 better and it has i-personalize. And it´s 100$ more.

-KartBoy SS/Bushings
    -Alpine CDA-9815
    -JL XR525-cs
    -PG Tantrum 300.2
    -JL 12"w0
    -All PG wiring

June-30th-2003 02:31 PM Online | Offline

asylum24
    Protege Enthusiast

Mine has Ipersonalize too... yea the screen is nicer but I also picked the 9813 b/c it has green buttons to match the green neon on my car

June-30th-2003 03:49 PM Online | Offline

asylum24
    Protege Enthusiast

Mine has Ipersonalize too... yea the screen is nicer but I also picked the 9813 b/c it has green buttons to match the green neon on my car on mine(im assuming yours has it also) in the AUX src, do you know if changing it to TV,VCR or AUX makes a difference or is it a "ohh ahh" time thing?

June-30th-2003 03:50 PM Online | Offline

JAC
    huh?

Dude, I don´t think that the 9813 has i-personalize. It´s the feature where you tweak all the settings online, then burn a file to a CD and when you put it into the HU it sets everything up for you(time correction, crossover, EQ).

-KartBoy SS/Bushings
    -Alpine CDA-9815
    -JL XR525-cs
    -PG Tantrum 300.2
    -JL 12"w0
    -All PG wiring

July-1st-2003 04:17 PM Online | Offline

asylum24
    Protege Enthusiast

No I have it.. except I cant burn a cd and it programs it... It prints me out a piece of paper and then I just go in and change the settings manually.... im sure you can do it manually also on yours but so tahts 2 things yours does that mine doesnt... but i can still do it... BTW have u tried to play WMA's in your's yet? all of mine sound kinda scratchy in it.. but my MP3 files sound fine

Cardomain Webpage
    Full Erebuni Kit
    Eurolite Side Markers
    Home Made Ground Kit 8 gauge
    Otto Racing Muffler
    Green Eurolite Neon Kit
    Alpine CDA-9813
    Alpine Type R 5.25's
    Alpine Type R 6x9's
    Alpine Type R 12 DVC 4 ohm
    Alpine MRD-M500 Mono Amp
    Stinger Pro Terminal's
    Stinger 8 gauge Amp kit

July-1st-2003 04:29 PM Online | Offline

JAC
    huh?

That´s the feature (the whole CD thing), you have t correction, crossover and EQ but not i-personalize. Yes, I can do it manually too. I have only tried regular CDs and mp3s, I don´t think I have any wma audio files though.

-KartBoy SS/Bushings
    -Alpine CDA-9815
    -JL XR525-cs
    -PG Tantrum 300.2
    -JL 12"w0
    -All PG wiring

July-1st-2003 07:04 PM Online | Offline

Comment

ntruder
      Protege Enthusiast

quote:
      Originally posted by JAC
      I don´t think I have any wma audio files though.

I would have said WMA sucks, but I thouhgt 2 seconds about it and here's what I have to say...

WMA is actually a better standard compared to mp3. There is less data loss, which means the audio is "better". The WMA compression algorithm is also better (newer), which means that it is more space efficient (you could store more audio in the same amount of space or you could store a higher quality version of the song in the same amount of space). This is in theory though. I haven't had the chance to test this out since a 192kbps mp3 is already good enough for me and I was able to store the first 7 MetallicA albums on a single CD (700MB). I couldn't ask for more if you ask me.

So, just because we don't use it, the WMA standard doesn't suck. It's just that MP3 is already good enough and converting to WMA doesn't seem to be... crucial?... At first I thought it's just a waste of time on Microsoft's side, but they had a reason for coming out with it - MP3 belongs to the Fraunhoffer Institue and Microsoft would have had to pay royalties to Fraunhofer IIS if they wanted to use it.

Anyway...

July-1st-2003 07:55 PM Online | Offline

Intruder
      Protege Enthusiast

PRICE: $218

I did not want to get the 9807 because it is silver and my dash is gray/black but I got it anyway. Now I think I want to get a dark head unit and I can't seem to decide which one to get. I could sell mine for $200.

So, can anyone tell me why should I get the 9815 instead of the 9813. Except for the I-personalize function, which doesn't seem to be very useful, they're pretty much the same.

PRICE: $288

PRICE: $388

July-1st-2003 08:04 PM Online | Offline

JAC
      huh?

All of my music files are mp3s and most of them are 192, currently I´m trying to replace the ones of lower bit rate. 192 is CD quality or so I was told, it sounds pretty good to me. It also depends on the song, I have some mp3s that are 128kbps and sound nice and I have mp3s with the same bit rate that sound like ****.

quote:
      I was able to store the first 7 MetallicA albums on a single CD (700MB). I couldn't ask for more if you ask me.

I stored all of the Guns N' Roses albums in one CD, 192kpbs. Needless to say, I´m one happy camper .

Besides the i-personalize feature, the other feature you get is the 2 line dot matrix display wich is very nice. I got it because of the i-P, it´s so much easier to input all the settings and it´s pretty cool , I also didn´t like the 13´s display much.

Where did you get those prices from? Ebay?

-KartBoy SS/Bushings
      -Alpine CDA-9815
      -JL XR525-cs
      -PG Tantrum 300.2
      -JL 12"w0
      -All PG wiring

July-1st-2003 09:49 PM Online | Offline

Intruder
      Protege Enthusiast

quote:
      Originally posted by JAC
      192 is CD quality or so I was told, it sounds pretty good to me. It also depends on the song, I have some mp3s that are 128kbps and sound nice and I have mp3s with the same bit rate that sound like ****.

It depends on how "complex" the song is. If there is a lot going on in the background, it will sound like crap if you have a low bitrate version. If the song is very dynamic you need high bitrates in order to store all the "useful info" and not have hisses and other types of unpleasant noises/distortions etc...

quote:
      I stored all of the Guns N' Roses albums in one CD, 192kpbs. Needless to say, I´m one happy camper .

I don't know how many albums GnR have, so maybe the number of albums isn't a very good base for comparison. I have exactly 7 hours and 15 minutes on that CD. All of those mp3s are at least 192kbps and half of them are variable 256kbps (the quality can go up to 256kbps if required and as low as 128kbps if there is silence - smart ).

quote:

Besides the i-personalize feature, the other feature you get is the 2 line dot matrix display wich is very nice. I got it because of the i-P, it´s so much easier to input all the settings and it´s pretty cool , I also didn´t like the 13´s display much.

I don't find the iP feature very useful. I don't change EQ settings every day... so I could live without it. The dot matrix display is NICE, but is it worth the extra $100?

quote:
      Where did you get those prices from? Ebay?

It is a store I found on-line: Hooked On Tronics

It's going to be a difficult decision. $100 extra for a nicer display? ugh....

July-1st-2003 10:40 PM Online | Offline

asylum24
      Protege Enthusiast

No I-personalize is just the thing on the alpine site... So in theory any HU that has time correction, X-over, and whatever the other one is... could use the feature.. just would have to print it off.... and do it manually... if you look on the window thingy that pops up.. you can select the 9813 from the menu... hince its made to work with the sittings that are printed out

Cardomain Webpage
      Full Erebuni Kit
      Eurolite Side Markers
      Otto Racing Muffler
      Green Eurolite Neon Kit
      Alpine CDA-9813
      Alpine Type R 5.25's
      Alpine Type R 6x9's
      Alpine MRD-M500 Mono Amp
      Stinger Pro Terminal's
      Stinger 8 gauge Amp kit

July-2nd-2003 02:40 AM Online | Offline

asylum24
      Protege Enthusiast

holy crap im pissed htat site intruder has my type R 12" for 106! I payed 214 for mine at the local dealership! god damn that sucks ass

Cardomain Webpage
      Full Erebuni Kit
      Eurolite Side Markers
      Otto Racing Muffler
      Green Eurolite Neon Kit
      Alpine CDA-9813
      Alpine Type R 5.25's
      Alpine Type R 6x9's
      Alpine MRD-M500 Mono Amp
      Stinger Pro Terminal's
      Stinger 8 gauge Amp kit

July-2nd-2003 02:45 AM Online | Offline

Intruder
      Protege Enthusiast

quote:
      Originally posted by asylum24
      holy crap im pissed htat site intruder has my type R 12" for 106! I payed 214 for mine at the local dealership! god damn that sucks ass

$214 for a set (front and rear) or just ... what?
      cuz I paid $200 at the local dealership for my type S speakers (I was advised not to buy the type R because they would be underpowered with my 9107 - does that make any sense?).

July-2nd-2003 03:10 AM Online | Offline

Comment

Intruder
        Protege Enthusiast

by the way, your cardomain link isn't working. could you give me one that works?

July-2nd-2003 03:11 AM Online | Offline

JAC
        huh?

I put 7 albums in there, all 192kbps:
        -Apetite for Destruction.
        -Lies.
        -Use Your Illusion I.
        -Use Your Illusion II.
        -The Spaghetti Incident.
        -Live Era disc-1.
        -Live Era disc-2.

About the decission, it´s really up to you to decide if youll be fine with the 9813´s display, you already said that you didn´t care about i-p, so it´s just about the looks.

-KartBoy SS/Bushings
        -Alpine CDA-9815
        -JL XR525-cs
        -PG Tantrum 300.2
        -JL 12"w0
        -All PG wiring

July-2nd-2003 02:40 PM Online | Offline

asylum24
        Protege Enthusiast

Intruder: $214 for (1) Type R 12" sub... $215 for the type R 5.25's and $225 for the type R 6x9's. then 440 for the CDA 9813

Also if you payed 200 for your type S you got ripped... Circuit city sells type S for around 89 or 125 I believe... and yes type R's are power hungry in mah opininion but they sound dam nice!

also here's my car domain link : http://www.cardomain.com/id/asylum24

Cardomain Webpage
        Full Erebuni Kit
        Eurolite Side Markers
        Otto Racing Muffler
        Green Eurolite Neon Kit
        Alpine CDA-9813
        Alpine Type R 5.25's
        Alpine Type R 6x9's
        Alpine MRD-M500 Mono Amp
        Stinger Pro Terminal's
        Stinger 8 gauge Amp kit

July-3rd-2003 12:41 AM Online | Offline

Intruder
        Protege Enthusiast

quote:
        Intruder: $214 for (1) Type R 12" sub... $215 for the type R 5.25's and $225 for the type R 6x9's. then 440 for the CDA 9813

Also if you payed 200 for your type S you got ripped... Circuit city sells type S for around 89 or 125 I believe... and yes type R's are power hungry in mah opininion but they sound dam nice!

also here's my car domain link : http://www.cardomain.com/id/asylum24

Then why did YOU get the type Rs? Your HU is a tad more powerfull than mine...

And I paid $200 for 2 sets of speakers -- I can't give you the break-down of the cost, but this is for type S 6.5's and type S 6x9's. I could have saved about $20 if I bought them from hookedontronics.com, but then I would have had to wait a week for UPS to deliver them. I wanted instant satisfaction and went to the car-audio store instead.

I'm really thinking of selling my 9807 right now while it's still semi-hot on the market, but I cannot decided which one to replace it with... $100 extra for the nicer display of the 9815 doesn't seem to be right.

July-3rd-2003 01:26 AM Online | Offline

asylum24
        Protege Enthusiast

quote:
        Originally posted by Intruder

Then why did YOU get the type Rs? Your HU is a tad more powerfull than mine...

And I paid $200 for 2 sets of speakers -- I can't give you the break-down of the cost, but this is for type S 6.5's and type S 6x9's. I could have saved about $20 if I bought them from hookedontronics.com, but then I would have had to wait a week for UPS to deliver them. I wanted instant satisfaction and went to the car-audio store instead.

I'm really thinking of selling my 9807 right now while it's still semi-hot on the market, but I cannot decided which one to replace it with... $100 extra for the nicer display of the 9815 doesn't seem to be right.

I got them simply because I wanted the best... I know I COULD have gotten the type X's but I didnt have $800 for 1 set of speakers.... And I'll admint they dont put that much bass out without an amp and I have to give my sub around 450 to each coil, but they sound very tight... I say tight as in the cone doesnt vibrate all over the place and doesnt sound sloppy... not tight as in "im white wanna be black and say ghetto sayings like tight" My setup isnt really for SPL but more SQL... as for the headunit... I would sell the 9807... then simply saying... is it really that much of a need to have double the dots so you can have semi cury lines? Another thing... The 9807 only has 50x4 where as the 13 and 15 have 60x4 so either way... you win... but sell the 9807

Cardomain Webpage
        Full Erebuni Kit
        Eurolite Side Markers
        Otto Racing Muffler
        Green Eurolite Neon Kit
        Alpine CDA-9813
        Alpine Type R 5.25's
        Alpine Type R 6x9's
        Alpine MRD-M500 Mono Amp
        Stinger Pro Terminal's
        Stinger 8 gauge Amp kit

July-3rd-2003 09:04 AM Online | Offline

Intruder
        Protege Enthusiast

quote:

... but sell the 9807

ya, ya...
        that's what I'm doing, and I think I'll get... the .. 98... 1...
        aaahhh dammit! so hard to decide! I like the colors of the 9815 better... it's so tempting! It's like "pick meee, pick mee..." I see the 9815 saying that everytime I close my eyes, and I just say "NO! you're too expensive!" but I don't know how long I have till I budge.

July-3rd-2003 12:39 PM Online | Offline

asylum24
        Protege Enthusiast

well one of hte main factors for me was it has green buttons adn my neon and what not is green so it matched and the display I didnt care about

Cardomain Webpage
        Full Erebuni Kit
        Eurolite Side Markers
        Otto Racing Muffler
        Green Eurolite Neon Kit
        Alpine CDA-9813
        Alpine Type R 5.25's
        Alpine Type R 6x9's
        Alpine MRD-M500 Mono Amp
        Stinger Pro Terminal's