battery keeps dieng....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery keeps dieng....

well i gotta prob. my battery kept dieng so back in october i bought a new battery and this one keeps dieng also... idk what it is i checked teh water level in it and its full, the battery dies in like a week or 2... and befroe when teh battery would start 2 die it would just take a long time 2 start but it would crank fast still .. and this time when the battery was dieing.. the crank was super slow.. ne ideas anyone???

Get a voltmeter and put the probes on the terminals at the battery. At idle it should read about 13.9. If its lower, it could be the alternator, belt slipping, or bad wiring. Its also possible that there's a drain/short but first check the alt and wiring.
    V6 swap write-up

Computer support, troubleshooting, and maintenance

Comment

Another thing to check on an alternator is that it is not overcharging either. With the voltmeter in place (say probing the cigarette lighter jack) make sure that when you rev the engine the charging voltage does not move a whole lot. As sysopt posted above it should stay somewhere in the high 13V range (maybe low 14V). If it swings wildly you have a bad regulator... which can also lead to damaged batteries.
      --JJB--
      '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
      Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
      16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
      15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
      Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Check the alternator belt.
        Last edited by Boston; 05-25-2004, 03:18 PM.

"Mazderati"
        91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
        Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
        Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
        AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

well with a test light i left the positive calbe connected 2 teh batter.. took off the neg.. put one end of teh testight on the neg post and the other end on the neg wire.. and it light up so there is a draw someplace.. i then went and pulled the room fuse .. when i did that, the light went out.. in my owners manual it says the room fuse controlls the dome light trunk light and clock... now i gotta test them

Comment

Working...
          X