Invader Hood *UPDATE w/ pics*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invader Hood *UPDATE w/ pics*

Well I finally got around to doing a little more work to the hood.....It still isn't finished, but will be later. I just threw a quick coat of black paint on it cus i got sick and tired of it rusting....
    Last edited by Tweeaks; 05-25-2004, 04:42 PM.

Here are the pics hope you guys enjoy them.....
    Attached Files

Comment

looks good, but why not make a full fiberglass hood?

Comment

That's looking pretty good.
        2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

lookin good .... keep it up.. ( haha maybe get a group buy going lol )

Comment

hell ya id be down for a hood like that!! boooya! thats a pimp ****ing job dude!!
            91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
            Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

wow, that turned out really good. i wish my first mold of my drift kit turned out the same!! nice job! i like how it lines up w/ the grill, it looks functional too!
              i hate being broke!

Comment

Thanks guys, well me making a full fiberglass hood would weigh more than someone who mass produces them. I'm not sure exactly how they go about making them, but the way I do it is definately heavier. I think its because of how much resin I use though. Not only that it would be a lot of work and I am not to sure that I can make a whole hood, then design the brace or whatever its called to keep the hood sturdy. I wasn't even sure that I caould make the mold of the hood scoop and it come out allright, even though I ran into a few problems, it wasn't to bad for the most part. If someone could find a place to do a GB and use my hood for the mold i'm all for it, I would just need a stock hood so I can have one on my car. That is how they do it anyways mold the scoop onto a stock hood then get it looking cherry then make the mold. I don't know if I would want to make them though it is quite a bit of work...

Comment

trust me i wouldnt want to make them either...
                  1) 2 much work
                  2) even tho u have a body kit and that wil make ur car stand out.. this will do the same..

but yeah good job

Comment

i like having my car stand out......i dont like having the same crap every1 else has on there cars.....
                    91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
                    Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

pekefeifer makes custom carbon fiber hood maybe they can make 10 to sell to firstgens

Comment

the reason big companies hoods are lighter is that they use a vaccume press. where you place a "breather aka absorbing matterial over the mold wrap it in a plastic bag. Hook it up to a vaccum and the plastic bag will squeese out the excess resin into the breather material.
                        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                        So his engine he goosed
                        With much too much boost,
                        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

ahhh thats a good idea lol...

Comment

awsome cant wait to see what it looks like painted!
                            Maroon 1995 Probe SE
                            Beige 1994 Protege DX
                            Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                              the reason big companies hoods are lighter is that they use a vaccume press. where you place a "breather aka absorbing matterial over the mold wrap it in a plastic bag. Hook it up to a vaccum and the plastic bag will squeese out the excess resin into the breather material.
                              Sorry to bring back old threads but I thought it was interesting.

I make fiberglass hoods (see page 6 of : http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4110 ) and I don't even use a vacuum when molding the hoods and I still managed of cut the weight in half on the 3rd gen hood I make. I work in aviation too and have used vacuum often and I can say there is not much resin going in the absorbing material IF there wasn't too much resin poured in at first of course.

The main reason I would use a vacuum would be to make the production faster. When made by hand like I do, I must watch for air trapped everywhere in the fiberglass layers and blow 'em up. It's a VERY long process.

With the vacuum, the pressure applied on the wet fiberglass will take those bubbles out instantly. So that's why it's a lot faster. Makes for a nicer more constant production.

Just wanted to post my experience with fiberglass!

Comment

Working...
                              X