Upgrading Spark Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading Spark Plugs

Based on TheMAN's discussion of an alternate OEM spark plug type suitable for our engines, I decided to follow his recommendation and change my plugs to the ZFR5F-11 extended nose type. See his thread at:

The tools I used were a 3/8" drive torque wrench and ratchet, a 3" long extension attached to a 10 mm socket to remove and install the coil pack mounting bolts and a 6" extension attached to a 5/8" spark plug socket to remove and install the plugs. I obtained the new plugs from my local Mazda dealer using the part no. provided by TheMAN in his post. Cost was $12.39 including local NJ tax. Before installing, I checked the gap with my wire gauge and found it to be as specified, 1-1.1 mm (.040"-.043").

The old plugs turned out to be Denso K16PR-U 11 which, according to the FSM, are equivalent to NGK BKR5E-11 both of which are OEM specified for our engines. At 15000 miles, the old plugs were in exceptionally good shape with virtually no visible wear and a nice light, chocolate brown color on the ceramic nose. Before installing the new plugs, I coated the threads with Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant and then tightened them to 13.5 ft/lbs torque (midway between the FSM recommendation of 11-16 ft/lbs [15-22 N/m]). Prior to installing the boots, I coated the inside with Permatex Dielectric Tune-Up Grease which prevents sticking and possible boot damage on subsequent removals. Be careful when reinstalling the coil pack bolts as the FSM recommended torque setting is only 69.5-95.4 in/lbs (7.9-10.7 N/m) which works out to 6-8 ft/lbs. Since this is close to the lower limit of my torque wrench, I opted to just snug up the bolts with my ratchet.

Unlike TheMAN's experience, on startup my engine idle seemed to be somewhat rougher than before. Additionally, my launches from a standstill felt less smooth and slightly jerky. In general, my low speed performance seemed inferior to what it was. At this point, I took the car out on the Interstate to test it at speed. Immediately, I found a noticeable increase in performance and just as TheMAN stated, I found the engine seemed to rev more freely and to reach high RPM's more quickly than with the OEM plugs.

As pointed out in the article, the ZFR5F-11 plugs may advance the timing slightly (good for power) since the extended reach places the electrodes closer to the center of the intake charge than is the case with the OEM plugs. Additionally, it was pointed out that the plug tip may run hotter (possibly promoting detonation) since it protrudes more deeply into the combustion chamber. Given these two factors it was suggested that it might be beneficial and even necessary to switch to a higher octane rated fuel.

With these considerations in mind and as my tank was almost empty after my test run, I decided to fill up at this point with 89 octane fuel. Since I bought the car and up until now I have always used 87 octane as recommended in the manual. With the combination of the higher octane fuel and the change in the plug structure, it then occured to me that it might be beneficial to reset the PCM so that it could "learn" the new operating parameters.

After resetting, I went out for another test run. I don't know if it was the octane increase, the PCM reset or both together but, if anything, the high speed performance was even better than during the first test run with the car definitely feeling, to some degree, even more powerful. The low speed performance was also improved with noticeably less roughness and a smoother launch from a standstill-more like what it was prior to the plug change. Now, one week into the mod I can no longer really tell if the low speed roughness is still there or if I have just learned to compensate for it by adjusting my driving style. The idle still seems a little rough but, hell, I don't really know anymore. This can drive you crazy if you let it.

IMO, this is a very successful and worthwhile mod. It produces a power increase you can feel and is one of the easiest mods available requiring only that you change the plugs. Perhaps the only disadvantage is that you are constrained to use higher octane fuel at a time when fuel prices are extremely high. It's also interesting to note that the ZFR5F-11 is the manufactuers plug of choice in Japan for cars very similar to our own.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

I advanced my timing 3-4 degrees, went one heat range colder on NGK plugs and switched to 89 octane...made a nice little bump in off the line performance.

Comment

I don't see how changing your sparkplugs changes your timing.
      Ryan The middle child is always ignored
      BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
        Basically, it lights up the mixture a little bit sooner, because of the position of the tip, which is the same as advancing the timing. Am I right?
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
          Basically, it lights up the mixture a little bit sooner, because of the position of the tip, which is the same as advancing the timing. Am I right?
          No. It just repositions where the mixture gets "lit" slightly deeper into the combustion chamber.
          The plug doesn't fire sooner.
          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
            If you look at TheMAN's discussion in the link provided in post #1, you will find an explanation of how an extended reach spark plug can "effectively" provide a slight increase in ignition advance without actually resetting the timing.

02 DX Millenium Red
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

When I called my Mazda dealership, he told me that the ZFR5F-11 is the OEM plugs for the 1.6L engine. Is that thrue?

Comment

Originally posted by grosbiz
                When I called my Mazda dealership, he told me that the ZFR5F-11 is the OEM plugs for the 1.6L engine. Is that thrue?
                Yes. According to the NGK website, The ZFR5F-11 is the OEM plug for the 1.6L engine (at least for the 99's which is the only year I checked for).

02 DX Millenium Red
                Last edited by goldstar; 07-13-2004, 02:31 PM.

Comment

What the Hell?

Comment

So According to this post. Installing the OEM 1.6L spark plugs on a 2.0L motor will increase the performance.

Comment

So According to this post. Installing the OEM 1.6L spark plugs on a 2.0L motor will increase the performance.
                      Apparently it does. The operating principal here is not that the plug was used in the 1.6L engine but that it is an extended reach plug compared with that used as OEM in the North American 2.0L engine.

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

Apparently it does. The operating principal here is not that it was used in the 1.6L engine but that it is an extended reach plug compared with that used as OEM in the North American 2.0L engines.

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

Well, I just changed my OEM spark plugs on my 02 Canadian Protege 5 for the ZFR5F-11 and guess what. My MP5 was already equiped with the ZFR5F-11 so I guess that the Japan as well the Canadian models are equiped with the ZFR5F-11 plugs.

Comment

Well, I just changed my OEM spark plugs on my 02 Canadian Protege 5 for the ZFR5F-11 and guess what. My MP5 was already equiped with the ZFR5F-11 so I guess that the Japan as well the Canadian models are equiped with the ZFR5F-11 plugs.
                            Well that's certainly interesting and news to me. Why would the US Proteges and the Canadian Proteges use different plug types? I thought the 2.0L engines were identical in both countries.

Another problem for TheMAN to solve.

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

goldstar, don't you have a dx aka 1.6 L engine?
                              Visit My Garage

Comment

Working...
                              X