Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I do to upgrade my brakes?

Yeah Im too damn lazy to search.

I have the sad little 1.6L protege. What can I do to upgrade my brakes? ITs the first thing I am going to do when I get the car back.
    Sagaris

upgrade to the ES front brakes

from what Edwin wrote in the FAQ, upgrading your front brakes to the ES front brakes is as simple as replacing the rotors and calipers to the ES ones, and that's it.

while you're at it, you can look at getting some performance street brake pads like Hawk HPS to get more bite
    Last edited by ZoomZoomH; 05-25-2004, 05:04 PM.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

I was thinking about getting the slotted rotors.
      Sagaris

Comment

Originally posted by Motegi
        I was thinking about getting the slotted rotors.
        Those are just for looks.

Comment

^ditto

only way to actually improve braking is by getting larger brakes (ES brakes) and better pads (Hawk HPS)

slotted/drilled rotors provide no performance improvement in today's cars, thanks to improvements in brake pad materials

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

oh, and tires too.

can't stop car if tires lock up you know

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Wouldn't just changing the front brakes change the bias of the braking system?
              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Stickier tires.
                ES brakes, front and rear rotors, calipers, pads a more aggressive pad as well. Master cylinder, proportioning valve, Ebrake cables. Possibly the brake booster.
                Don't get the factory ES flex lines. upgrade to a set of stainless braided brake lines like goodridge or something. And some better brake fluid. I hear that Motul is the shiznit, but apparently Ford Motorsports sells some good **** too thats less expensive.
                Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                  Wouldn't just changing the front brakes change the bias of the braking system?
                  yeah, she'll just have ES's braking bias (ALL 4-lug 3rd gens share the same rear drums )

yeah stainless steel brake lines will also improve brake pedal feel.

unfortunately for us 4-lug 3rd gens, a rear rotor brake conversion would require sourcing parts from overseas. Edwin has a complete writeup of parts required for the conversion in his FAQ.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Originally posted by ZoomZoomH
                    y

unfortunately for us 4-lug 3rd gens, a rear rotor brake conversion would require sourcing parts from overseas. Edwin has a complete writeup of parts required for the conversion in his FAQ.
                    My bad, I just figured that all the third gen ES had rear discs.
                    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

If you want rear discs on a 3rd gen. Then get the rear discs from a 2nd gen or 1st gen.
                      To hell with overseas.
                      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by ZoomZoomH
                        yeah, she'll just have ES's braking bias (ALL 4-lug 3rd gens share the same rear drums )
                        OK, but do they all share the same proportioning valve?
                        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

tires... the stock brakes work FINE on Proteges.
                          "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                          -93 MR2, 129 ES
                          ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                          Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

SOME 3rd gen's have 4 wheel disc, but I think they may be the 5 lugs. Like bruce said, just pull the parts of a 1st or 2nd gen, they're 4 lug.

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                              tires... the stock brakes work FINE on Proteges.
                              You don't remember driving my Protege do you?

The fact that there was a whole lot of air in the lines probably had something to do with it too.
                              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Working...
                              X