Newbie from Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from Japan

Hello. I'm new to this forum, and just started posting on the old one, too. Both sites are awesome! I'm really impressed by the amount of info and the expertise, and hope to share some great insight with you guys.

I currently live in Japan and my baby is a 96 Familia NEO, model BHA8S (323C in Europe, 3-door fastback version of the 2nd gen Protege) with a 1.8l BP-ZE engine. I've done a few mods but it's still pretty tame.

I have a few questions that I'd like to get some input on, so I'll be posting in the appropriate section(s) shortly. In the meantime, if you'd like to check out my car I've just recently opened a website for it, in both English and Japanese:
    www.jtw.zaq.ne.jp/crowfield/NEO/index.html
    Hope you like it!

Oh, and one more thing: Cuz of the time difference, I probably won't be able to post in such a timely manner, I hope you don't mind...
    Talk more soon!

1996 Mazda Familia NEO BHA8S
    (Protege ES Fastback equivalent)

1.8l BP-ZE engine, lightly tuned.
    Check out my website for details:
    La Sagrada Familia NEO

Here's some pics.
    I know it's hard to tell that it's related to any Protege, that's cuz Mazda had decided to make it a completely different design than the sedan. After only 2 yrs on the market they overhauled the design and gave it a front fascia identical to the post-minor change 2nd gen sedan.

wuts outside...

wuts inside...totally different interior than the sedan as well. You can tell we share some of the same switchgear, tho.

wuts underhood...now you can tell it's a Protege ES

oh yeah, and this car's got a vertical rear window, like the ol' CR-X

here's the view out...

Last edited by neo; 09-19-2003, 09:14 AM.

La Sagrada Familia NEO

Comment

Damn that cars bad ass. any idea what they run stock 1/4 mile?

Comment

Originally posted by itzkcatz
        Damn that cars bad ass. any idea what they run stock 1/4 mile?
        Thanks, I'm glad you like it.
        I dunno about the Quarter tho, I've never timed myself.
        I'd have to go to a track to do that--there's just no room on public roads in Japan. And the 'freeways' are NOT free.

La Sagrada Familia NEO

Comment

That car or 1 similar was brought to Canada for 1 year only . It can with 1.8 DOHC and 5 speed . I really didn't catch on .

2001 LX 2.0 Grace green metallic with gold graphics,
          Motegi MR12 rims in gold
          Falken Zeix 502's 205/40/17,
          MDC Enterprises short throw shifter,Sparco shift knob,
          Sparco pedal set,Vibrant axle back muffler , MDC Enterprises CAIwith K&N filtercone,Ractive strut bar,MP3 rear swaybar,Tien S-tech springs ,AWR engine mounts,AWR adjustable endlinks,AWR rear trailing arms,Konig rear wing colour matched ,Altezza tail lights edges colour matched to car.P5 front seats,
          P5 front conversion with side skirts

Comment

Originally posted by macklum
            That car or 1 similar was brought to Canada for 1 year only . It can with 1.8 DOHC and 5 speed . I really didn't catch on .
            You know your stuff. It was test marketed for the North American market for a short period.

It didn't catch on in the home market either. I've only seen about 20 of 'em so far. There's actually a board for the NEO in Japan, but only with about 5 members, and that's not enough to get any inneresting discussions going. That's why I'm here.

Your sig rocks btw.

La Sagrada Familia NEO

Comment

Originally posted by neo
              You know your stuff. It was test marketed for the North American market for a short period.

It didn't catch on in the home market either. I've only seen about 20 of 'em so far. There's actually a board for the NEO in Japan, but only with about 5 members, and that's not enough to get any inneresting discussions going. That's why I'm here.

Your sig rocks btw.
              Yeah, you guys just reminded me, as I saw on New Hampshire/Maine border. It was green with Ontario plates on them. I wonder how really rare they are here on this continent?

Neo, by the way, I think your steering wheel is the best of 2nd gens, or of all Mazdas of that time.
              "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
                Yeah, you guys just reminded me, as I saw on New Hampshire/Maine border. It was green with Ontario plates on them. I wonder how really rare they are here on this continent?

Neo, by the way, I think your steering wheel is the best of 2nd gens, or of all Mazdas of that time.
                Good to see you again turbonium, on this side this time.

That steering wheel is actually an aftermarket Momo. It's a really old "Panther" model, and it's a "convertible." That is, the center pad comes off. To see it "in action," go to my website and follow these links: Modifications--Interior--Steering Wheel.

La Sagrada Familia NEO

Comment

That's funny...Mazda copying the CRX. And so soon after Honda tried to hedge in on Miata sales with their copy, the del sol. I guess turnabout is fair play

Comment

Originally posted by davens

That's funny...Mazda copying the CRX. And so soon after Honda tried to hedge in on Miata sales with their copy, the del sol. I guess turnabout is fair play

yes but our copy came with a stout 1.8 BP motor ...
                    edges OL chap ...

btw sweet hatch ya got there buddy ..
                    Bruce
                    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                      edges OL chap ...

btw sweet hatch ya got there buddy ..
                      Bruce
                      Thanks, Bruce. I like your red 'jay, too. Sweet lookin' rims. And the J-Spec bumper is a great choice. Good luck with the motor swap!

Originally posted by protege menace
                      See this is where evyerones at

I DO like that car, im sure my friend who loves hatchbacks (like the golf and the komrpessor hatch) would like your car too I know I do :D
                      Yup, you were right. THIS is the place to b.
                      You know, I think the world doesn't have enough hatchbacks anymore. Everyone's going nuts about utility that not enough people are into 'sports' anymore. I think the market needs a good injection of both i.e. 5 doors. I'm not talkin' Pro5 WAGONS--I'm talkin' Lantis (323F). This car was saweet. You had a choice between a BP-ZE 1.8l or a 2.0 V6. Check it out:

But hey, that's just my opinion...

La Sagrada Familia NEO

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I love your car...I wish I could have one like that. A small CRX hatch sounds like a lot of fun. The BP engine is an added bonus.
                        Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
                          Welcome to the forum! I love your car...I wish I could have one like that. A small CRX hatch sounds like a lot of fun. The BP engine is an added bonus.
                          Thanks for the comments, NegatiZE. Yours is a sweet ride, too. I had actually visited your website several times before. Very informative. Man, you really put alot into your car. Keep up the good work!

La Sagrada Familia NEO

Comment

Damn a 2.0 V6 in that little car.. woooweee that would kick ass seriously , how much horsepower did it have?

I know I saw the 4 door version to your car a few years ago when I was in Jamaica .. I was like huh lol
                            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

edges OL chap ...
                              But my CRX has a 1.8...

..okay, not stock, but it does.

Comment

Working...
                              X