i need new shocks!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i need new shocks!!!!!!

gawd my pros suspension is suckin right now... (90 se 5spd 140k original shocks lol) im replacing the hubs in front wheels this weekend (cuz i dont feel like being stuck on the side of the road needing a tow truck to rescue me) and i need new shocks too (loud bad-sounding clunking noise even on the smallest of small bumps)... should i do all this at once? i decided awhile ago, that if i needed new ones i would get the zx2 struts and eibach springs... just from hearing how you guys talked about them, thats one smooth combination... where would be the best place to get these and what exactly am i looking for - im quite the newb with cars so all the help i can get would be much appreciated... a mechanic friend and i are doing the install, so that should be fine... oh, about how much does that combo cost, comparative to the oem setup? any other recommendations as far as suspension goes? (while im working on this, if i can do more i might as well) i will need an alignment after this also, correct?
    once again, help much appreciated and i apolozige for being such a dumbass concerning the mechanics of cars.
    Thanks a bunch,
    Jacob

http://www.mazdaracer.wihandyman.com/ZX2struts.html

this will guide you through the install.

as for where to get them www.oemfordparts.com The site is kinda strange to navigate, but if you just call the 1-800 number and ask for Terresa Valley, she will get you all you need. Make sure to ask for the METAL thrust bearings (Ford Part No. F8CZ18198AAA Front Strut Upper Bearing) Or if you want, get a set of ZX2 upper perches from a j/y.

-ZX2 S/R Tokico Struts & Upper Strut Bearings
    Southwest Ford; Weatherford, TX
    1-800-256-7933 - Parts direct 817-596-5700
    Internet Sales Manager - Terresa Valley
    info@oemfordparts.com
    www.oemfordparts.com

Comment

thanks for the site and number for the struts... your site will help immensely with installation, im sure. what about springs as far as where to get them? and price of zx2 struts and eibach springs compared to oem prices? the reason price is important, mostly because im not rich, nor are my parents... im only 18 and i need a way to convince my parents to let me get these as opposed to stock mazda parts. those two other pieces of information would be great... thank you mazdaracer for the strut install guide
      Jacob

Comment

well, technically the ZX2 struts are stock parts, just Ford not Mazda. They are cheaper than OEM replacements (or damn close to it) springs are gonna be more work on your part to convince...you can also get the springs at the same place.

Comment

You can always tell them that the spring/strut combo is sold as a package Total for springs and struts and bearings should be about $400-$450 depending on shipping.
          -------------------------
          '91 LX
          '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
          -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
          well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

I was checking around and NOPI sells KYB's for the 1st gen for bout $45 apiece... that's cheaper than most replacement shocks at Autozone or Advance Autoparts.
            '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
            '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
            '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
            '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
            '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
            '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Yeah, usually if you look around enough you can find aftermarket upgrade parts for near-oem cost, the vendor's section is a good place to start, as well as tire rack and ebay, check as many places as you possibly can. I just got a set of H&R springs for $185, so the stuff is out there, you just have to find it.

Comment

Working...
              X