shift speeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shift speeds?

i'm a newb at driving 5spd, while looking through my manual it gives reccomened shift speeds for casual driving

if my memory serves me correct it goes soemthing like this:

1st to 2nd 16mph
    2nd to 3rd 25mph
    3rd to 4th 35mph
    4th to 5th 45mph

my protege is the dx model, without a tachometer, so its sometimes hard to tell if i'm goign to fast for each gear. for example when i'm on a hill.

can someone reccomend me some maximum shift speeds for this car? or where i can find such a chart on the net? the reason i ask is because i looked at my friends manual for his 93 honda accord, and his manual had a similar chart in it, but it also gave max shift speeds, and his 3rd gear goes to 80mph

i know there is no way the proteges 3rd can go that high, thats the main reason i am asking here. like i said i dont have a tach to see how close to red line i actually am.

-danN

i can max my 97 pro lx 5spd at...

1st - 2nd at 25mph
    2nd - 3rd at 60mph
    3rd - 4th at 85mph
    4th - 5th at 110mph

thats taking it only to 6500rpms, i haven't gone any further bcuz i have no clue how the cars engine will handle it

Comment

Originally posted by streetsoldier85
      i can max my 97 pro lx 5spd at...

1st - 2nd at 25mph
      2nd - 3rd at 60mph
      3rd - 4th at 85mph
      4th - 5th at 110mph

thats taking it only to 6500rpms, i haven't gone any further bcuz i have no clue how the cars engine will handle it
      i'm assuming yours is a 2.0? i could not see mine reaching 60 in 2nd (1.5 92hp)

thanks for the input!

-danN

Comment

no, mine is a 1.5L remember i took it to 6500 rpms which is engine redline. i dont know how much higher if any i could have taken it
        Last edited by streetsoldier85; 05-26-2004, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Shifting at redline with the Z5 doesn't really help, peak horsepower is somewhere lower in the rev range (I have the BP, so I'm not sure exactly where). After awhile you'll just get used to the sound and feel, the tach is really secondary. Just shift when it feels right, you'll be fine. Welcome to the club btw

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
            Shifting at redline with the Z5 doesn't really help, peak horsepower is somewhere lower in the rev range (I have the BP, so I'm not sure exactly where). After awhile you'll just get used to the sound and feel, the tach is really secondary. Just shift when it feels right, you'll be fine. Welcome to the club btw
            thanks for the reply. i'm not much of an auto enthusiast, i hope i can be of some asset to the club.

i was out driving today, going up all the hills i could find (usually i tend to avoid hills) and i am starting to get the feel of things, i didnt stall or anything all day so i'm getting more confidant in that sence.

-danN

Comment

Yeah, it's one of those things you can't rush, I suppose you could equate it to going on a few dates with a girl to get to know her

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
                Yeah, it's one of those things you can't rush, I suppose you could equate it to going on a few dates with a girl to get to know her
                got it!

Comment

geez i shift perfectly between 3500-4000rpms! haha..i guess im just too scared to break something!

Comment

dude, thats nothing

Comment

Originally posted by sparkrainfire
                      i'm assuming yours is a 2.0?
                      I don't mean to be a smart-ass. I don't even have a manual tranny... but there is no 2.0L Protege (with the exception of some odd model in the UK having a V6 engine). All 2nd gen Proteges (1995-1998) in the US (and Canada) have either a 1.5L engine (the Z5 - what you have), and the 1.8L engine (the almighty BP).

Oh yeah, and welcome to the club!
                      Last edited by Intruder; 06-05-2004, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Which tranny do you have? B/C I use 5th at 35, obviously not when I'm accelerating, but for cruising. . .

Comment

Working...
                        X