Idle surge???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle surge???

I have a question regarding my girlfriends '97 Mazda Protégé LX. Its the 1.5L engine with a manual transmission, has just over 100K miles. I know the plugs, wires, and timing belt were recently replaced.

The issue seems to happen almost every time when it is started (warm) and very often when the car is brought to a stop while driving. At idle with the car in neutral it will idle very low, some times even kill out. It idles for about one second perfectly fine at about 500 RPM or so. The engine begins to drop goes down to the point that it almost kills (seat belt light, CEL will come on like it has killed). The car will shoot up to about 700 - 800 RPM, go back to 500 RPM idle for a second then drop again. About half the time the car will actually stall somewhere in this process. This process of almost killing out then revving up to 700 - 800 RPM then almost dying again will happen about 4 to 6 times then the car (provided it does not kill during one of the cycles) will idle just fine and not drop anymore.

I've looked at some past posts here, this problem is not related to fuel level. It happens when the tank is full or almost empty. I see the intake manifold gasket has caused some problems similar to this but it only happens 4 - 6 times then its fine. Wouldn't a gasket cause it to happen continuously?

Anything else that it could be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Check the base idle it should be 700-750 rpm with the ten and grd connected . Also carbon build up in the EGR may be causing it to stick ,if so remove the valve and clean it so that it opens easily when you push it open and spring back fully closed when released.
    98 protege lx 1.8l
    short ram intake custom
    crane hi-6 ign.
    14 miata alloy wheels
    .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

Working...
    X