intake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intake question

i have a 97 protege 1.5l lx... on the stock intake there is a box with and electrical device in it between the pipe and the filter.. is that a regulator or what? when i unplug it my car wont start. if i decide to replace the intake will i still need that piece. any help is appreciated

Its your "MAF" Mass Air Flow Sensor.
    You tell me, you unplug it, your car won't start. You think you will still need it if you get an intake??
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
      Its your "MAF" Mass Air Flow Sensor.
      You tell me, you unplug it, your car won't start. You think you will still need it if you get an intake??
      ok i wasnt specific enough the car will start but then it will die almost right off

is there any way to trick the thing? without having to have your intake hook into it

*edit* answered my own question just a second ago on the internet... its used for determining fuel delivery and least in fords..
      Last edited by psycotic; 05-27-2004, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I suppose you could switch to a MAP system, but its not worth it, not by a long shot.
        Aside from that, no it is very vital for your car.
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

You need your MAF one way or the other. If you are deciding to place an intake in order to gain more power, and better mileage, power you will get (very little), better mileage you WILL NOT!
          "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
            You need your MAF one way or the other. If you are deciding to place an intake in order to gain more power, and better mileage, power you will get (very little), better mileage you WILL NOT!
            ok next stupid question.. i keep hearing essentialspeed.com has lots of parts for protege's but i have yet to see much of anything for the 2nd gens....

anyway

is there anything wrong with using pvc as an intake?

Comment

Essential Speed is working on parts for our cars NOW. You can call them and find out. Thier cold-air intake is already available. As for turbo, headers, and cat-back, its still in progress.

As for using PCV, its OK, but usually not recommended (can't remember why).
              "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

cat back is out....i have it on my car right now!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Are these items hidden on their site?

Comment

no, the catback isnt hidden, it only just got released about a month ago and I dont think is listed yet yet
                    The exhaust is available in regular cat back and dual (ypiped at the axle)
                    Tell him KRIS FROM WOODSTOCK sent you!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                    1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                    Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Working...
                    X